Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Bots army

Amar_BaitAmar_Bait DZMember ✭✭✭✭✭
@DavidOrtinau @JamesMontemagno @MigueldeIcaza can somebody please clean the forums from bots.
«1

Posts

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    Pretty much goes with my thread from last week on foreign posts
    https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/107231/foreign-posts#latest

    I came in this morning to seeing 1230 emails in my Xamarin Forums folder.

    I've added a new filter in Outlook. I grabbed two word/characters that I see frequently and added them in a filter for body of the message.

    After running that I went from 1230 to 183 messages that mostly seemed legit.

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    See this from last week for a tip on creating an Outlook filter to auto-delete them.

  • DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

    Ok, bot accounts have been banned and threads deleted. I'm sure it'll happen again. It's an ongoing battle. I'll ask if we can do anything to improve auto-detection, but I think we're several versions behind on the forum software for some good reason.

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    @DavidOrtinau said:
    'll ask if we can do anything to improve auto-detection, but I think we're several versions behind on the forum software for some good reason.

    Looking for the non-English characters seems to be a working concept. This morning I came in to nearly 200 messages automatically moved to my trash.

  • NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

    @DavidOrtinau said:
    Ok, bot accounts have been banned and threads deleted. I'm sure it'll happen again. It's an ongoing battle. I'll ask if we can do anything to improve auto-detection, but I think we're several versions behind on the forum software for some good reason.

    I flagged 100+ messages yesterday but it's a losing battle, hate seeing cyber vandalism like this on such a valuable resource.

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like they are coming in at a rate of 2-4 per minute.
    How about just blacklisting China domains/IP addresses because at this rate it is nearly an attack on the site.

  • NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

    David's on the case and busy fighting the bot army :)

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    @NMackay said:
    David's on the case and busy fighting the bot army :)

    If I thought a squadron of Klingon fighters would help - I'd make a couple calls.

  • NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

    Same story today, 4 pages deep and counting.

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    @NMackay
    Same here. Came in this morning to about 30 legit forum emails and 530 spams that auto-deleted in Outlook.

  • NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

    @ClintStLaurent

    It's getting tiresome, people will stop coming here and miss posts they could respond to and help people. I've got better things to do with my day that trawl through pages of spambot posts to try and spot a legitimate post.

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    @NMackay
    I don't look at the pages on the site. So that makes a difference. I just look at the emails I get from new posts. Those get filtered through Outlook either from spammers, or users that I just don't want to deal with.

    But I get your point. The every-day user that goes to the main page for a given section is not going to put up with 500 spam messages every morning, and 2-4 new spam messages PER MINUTE throughout the day.

    Maybe the guys at Microsoft/Xamarin need higher a contractor to fix it if they can't do it themselves.

  • NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

    @ClintStLaurent said:
    @NMackay
    I don't look at the pages on the site. So that makes a difference. I just look at the emails I get from new posts. Those get filtered through Outlook either from spammers, or users that I just don't want to deal with.

    But I get your point. The every-day user that goes to the main page for a given section is not going to put up with 500 spam messages every morning, and 2-4 new spam messages PER MINUTE throughout the day.

    Maybe the guys at Microsoft/Xamarin need higher a contractor to fix it if they can't do it themselves.

    You'd kind of hope one of the world's largest software companies could fix that themselves :smile:

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    @NMackay said:
    You'd kind of hope one of the world's largest software companies could fix that themselves :smile:

    To be honest, I caught myself being really snide before i posted that and deleted an entire paragraph about how the inability to fix it is more detrimental than the spam itself. Basically saying that the inability for the company to fix it speaks volumes about whether or not their advice or technology should even be used by others - Effectively saying you don't take your car to a mechanic who's own car doesn't run - but in a much less nice way.

  • JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

    We are looking into what we can do to help mitigate this. Thanks for being on top of it.

  • WinterCloudWinterCloud GBMember ✭✭✭

    does forum have a swearing words filter?

    how about just add the common word in that list?

    For example this one : 学

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WinterCloud said:
    does forum have a swearing words filter?

    how about just add the common word in that list?

    For example this one : 学

    Great lateral thinking there.

  • JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

    @JohnMiller - Just curious - are there dedicated Xamarin forums for languages other than English? When questions arise in this forum in languages other than English, I do sometimes answer them. But if this forum is the place for Portuguese, Spanish etc., then I guess it's also the place for Chinese etc., so any filter would have to do something more than just looking out for non-Western characters/words, particularly one that could easily appear in a genuine question (e.g. 学)

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JohnHardman
    My two cents worth on that is...
    .com is an American domain registration and thus in English.

    If there is going to be a Russian language version then it would be .com.ru
    If there is going to be a Chinese language version the it would be .com.cn or is it .cn.com because they are an exception to the rule if I recall

    Forwarding should take place automatically.
    If you try to go to www.netflix.com.au from America, you are automatically redirected to the American site instead of the Australian site. The same should happen if you to to forums.xamarin.com from china; where you would be taken to forums.xamarin.com.cn

  • NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

    @WinterCloud said:
    does forum have a swearing words filter?

    how about just add the common word in that list?

    For example this one : 学

    I've been swearing a lot recently when seeing that symbol :smile:

  • JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

    The Forum Guidelines outline that English is the only language supported. I don't currently have a good way to just auto-block every other language character-set, but it's something I am considering.

  • JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

    @ClintStLaurent said:
    @JohnHardman
    My two cents worth on that is...
    .com is an American domain registration and thus in English.

    If there is going to be a Russian language version then it would be .com.ru
    If there is going to be a Chinese language version the it would be .com.cn or is it .cn.com because they are an exception to the rule if I recall

    Forwarding should take place automatically.
    If you try to go to www.netflix.com.au from America, you are automatically redirected to the American site instead of the Australian site. The same should happen if you to to forums.xamarin.com from china; where you would be taken to forums.xamarin.com.cn

    That's fair. I just don't know if Xamarin have got that far with international support yet. Microsoft are obviously big on it, but there may be catching up to do for Xamarin.

  • JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity admin

    @JohnMiller said:
    The Forum Guidelines outline that English is the only language supported. I don't currently have a good way to just auto-block every other language character-set, but it's something I am considering.

    @JohnMiller - Would it be possible to link to those guidelines from the top of the Xamarin.Forms forum?

  • NashZhouNashZhou USMember ✭✭✭

    Perhaps @DavidOrtinau @JohnMiller could implement a spam email-like feature? If a topic is autodetected as spam, the topic is hidden and the user gets a notification his or her topic were caught by spam filters.

    Would love to see these spam topics & posts go away, as it's definitely driven me away from the forums.

  • SmeSme USMember ✭✭✭

    I recommend not allowing topics with 毕业 in the title, I have seen this exact same spam for free University Degrees for over a year. Should solve the issue

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JohnMiller said:
    The Forum Guidelines outline that English is the only language supported. I don't currently have a good way to just auto-block every other language character-set, but it's something I am considering.

    Did you add something new? I noticed that overnight i only got 92 spams auto-deleted and not 500+ like the night before.

  • JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

    Thanks for your patience everyone. We are actively searching for a solution and working with the teams involved to get this fixed.

  • NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

    @JohnMiller said:
    Thanks for your patience everyone. We are actively searching for a solution and working with the teams involved to get this fixed.

    Thanks John. The forum is too valuable a resource to lose to the evil bots :smiley:

  • Amar_BaitAmar_Bait DZMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    And it's back again. Guys do you have a ReCaptcha in your registration form?
  • Amar_BaitAmar_Bait DZMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I mean come on, it takes literally 5 minutes to add one... The forums software probably has this feature included, just activate it...
  • Amar_BaitAmar_Bait DZMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a developers forums, managed by (no doubt highly skilled) developers ... It's a shame that a feature like ReCaptcha adding takes days (weeks?) to implement. If a new user comes to this forums, he will be shocked to see all these spamming... On a forum run by Microsoft... Doesn't seem professional at all...
  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

    The bot army was on the march last night. OVER 550 spams. For 22 legit messages. WOW.

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

    @nadjib said: 3:36am
    And it's back again. Guys do you have a ReCaptcha in your registration form?

    @nadjib said: 3:37am
    I mean come on, it takes literally 5 minutes to add one... The forums software probably has this feature included, just activate it...

    @nadjib said: 3:46
    This is a developers forums, managed by (no doubt highly skilled) developers ... It's a shame that a feature like ReCaptcha adding takes days (weeks?) to implement. If a new user comes to this forums, he will be shocked to see all these spamming... On a forum run by Microsoft... Doesn't seem professional at all...

    Okay, okay... We get it... You're mad about the spam just like the rest of us. But more bashing on the devs 3 times in 10 minutes isn't going to make them work faster. We don't know the hoops they have to go through on a corporate level to make big changes. Sure you can add a ReCaptcha in 5 minutes on your little private site... But when you are in a multi-million dollar company you can't get permission to piss without the okay of 5 supervisors, in writing, in triplicate. I'm sure they are doing their best but in a big grown-up enterprise grade site some things take time.

  • Amar_BaitAmar_Bait DZMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, I'm not bashing anyone. 2nd I'm no novice developer, I'm very aware of the enterprise environment and its constraints. But even in the most "entreprisy" corporate bureaucratic company in the world, something as small as this doesn't require the approval of a high rank executive. Just a PM apprival is more than enough (especially for a team as small as Xamarin one) or you think we should contact Nadella on Twitter about this?

    The 3 posts in 10 minutes are just continuation of the message, was too lazy to edit the post on mobile phone.

    I love Xamarin.Forms, seeing its main source of resources killed like that hurts me. And it may show for a new comer on these forums that:

    1. Microsoft doesn't care about Xamarin, it's just a side project.
    Or 2. Microsoft/Xamarin team doesn't care about these forums.
    Or 3. Microsoft/Xamarin team can't fix a simple problem on its forum.

    People don't think "no problem it's just bots spamming. Microsoft will fix it after a ticket is added in the backlog after a Scrum standup , got approved by PM, got approved by VC for mobile, got approved by CTO, got approved by COO and CFO, got approved by CEO who pass it to the board of directors who approve it, assigned a priority, assigned a developer, committed, commit got approved by PM, then VC for mobile....etc"

    Nope, people just say "wow look at this mess! Going back to React Native..."

    I won't comment any more on this post. Peace!
  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    Dude... Its called "Switch to decaf"

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    Monday morning statistic:
    Well... Just under 500 for the entire weekend. Better than 500 every night.

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

    @JohnMiller @NMackay @DavidOrtinau
    Congrats! Whatever someone implemented must be working. There were only a handful of spams this morning. Well done!

  • ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

    @johnmiller About 290 over the weekend if my Outlook filter is to be believed.

Sign In or Register to comment.