Which Framework are you using MvvMcross,MvvMLight,FreshMvvM,PRISM ? and why ?

CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Cross Platform with Xamarin

I just want to know your thoughts on the above frameworks, like which one are using for Xamarin Forms and Xamarin Native, which one you find as most successful for your projects.

• BryanSanchezBryanSanchez USUniversity ✭✭

I dont know about Prism. But with Xamarin.Forms you can use all of them.
    With Xamarin.Native you can only use MvvmCross and MvvmLight, FreshMVVM is designed for Xamarin.Forms only.
    I have using FreshMvvm in three projects and i would recommend it, is easy to learn and good to use.

• CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryanSanchez said:
    I dont know about Prism. But with Xamarin.Forms you can use all of them.
    With Xamarin.Native you can only use MvvmCross and MvvmLight, FreshMVVM is designed for Xamarin.Forms only.
    I have using FreshMvvm in three projects and i would recommend it, is easy to learn and good to use.

Same Thoughts' here

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're using Freshmvvm in our Forms app and MvvmCross in our xamarin.Android/IOS app.

Freshmvvm is lightweight and a good fit for Forms (only compatible with Forms).

MvvmCross is much more complex but more fully featured - with a steeper learning curve I think. MvvmCross didn't support Forms when we started our Forms project - we may use it on future Forms projects but I still like the simplicity of Freshmvvm.
  • CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JamesLavery said:
    We're using Freshmvvm in our Forms app and MvvmCross in our xamarin.Android/IOS app.

Freshmvvm is lightweight and a good fit for Forms (only compatible with Forms).

MvvmCross is much more complex but more fully featured - with a steeper learning curve I think. MvvmCross didn't support Forms when we started our Forms project - we may use it on future Forms projects but I still like the simplicity of Freshmvvm.

Yup since fresh mvvm fills only gaps in Xamarin Forms MvvM

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Freshmvvm is easy and lightweight but owner stopped supporting bugfixing and important enhancements. You will be so much dependent on it if you use it. I am still using a older update because there is a big bug in latest release. although I reported this months a go, no reaction. you can see that there are over 80 open issues. you will be so much dependent on it. I am sure that similar problems will happen in any other framework. I would recommend you not to use any of them and stick with xamarin form's own navigation system. I am planing to remove freshmvvm from my projects but it is really big effort when project already grew so big.
    If you really need a framework, you may look into https://github.com/xamvvm/xamvvm. It looks a bit complicated at the beginning but it offers more features and it is supported by people like @DanielL , I know his reaction time is very fast on issues from ffimageloading package.

• LewisKLewisK USUniversity ✭✭
    edited November 2017

@batmaci said:
    Freshmvvm is easy and lightweight but owner stopped supporting bugfixing and important enhancements. You will be so much dependent on it if you use it. I am still using a older update because there is a big bug in latest release. although I reported this months a go, no reaction. you can see that there are over 80 open issues. you will be so much dependent on it. I am sure that similar problems will happen in any other framework. I would recommend you not to use any of them and stick with xamarin form's own navigation system. I am planing to remove freshmvvm from my projects but it is really big effort when project already grew so big.
    If you really need a framework, you may look into https://github.com/xamvvm/xamvvm. It looks a bit complicated at the beginning but it offers more features and it is supported by people like @DanielL , I know his reaction time is very fast on issues from ffimageloading package.

Do you mean stopped external contribution or in general? IT was updated 28 days ago.

Michael Ridland updated Freshmvvm very recently when I reported a problem. He's still maintaining it.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@JamesLavery said:
    Michael Ridland updated Freshmvvm very recently when I reported a problem. He's still maintaining it.

This update is not usable for me unfortunately and I wonder how is it usable for many other if they are using freshmvvm masterdetail solution because of this bug https://github.com/rid00z/FreshMvvm/issues/188

I am still on 2.2.0 because of this issue isnt resolved for a month and it was updated 28 days ago because of memory leak issue which was no-way to use this library, it had to be updated I believe. but I think updates are not happening anymore on this library as expected.. I still don't know if it is supporting .net standard. This is the only library holds me to go for .net standard.

Fair enough - the bug you reported hasn't been fixed. I think there was an intermediate update which supported .Net standard, but I can't check right now.

Have you contacted Michael directly (@ him here or on GitHub) to ask for an update on your bug?