VerticalOptions of a View inside a Vertically oriented StackLayout behavior explained in guides?

mshwfmshwf EGMember ✭✭✭

In the guides for "LayoutOptions": developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/user-interface/layouts/layout-options/#Alignment , I read this:

A StackLayout does not respect the Start, Center, End, and Fill LayoutOptions fields on child views that are in the same direction as the StackLayout orientation. Therefore, a vertically oriented StackLayout ignores the Start, Center, End, or Fill fields if they are set on the VerticalOptions properties of child views. Similarly, a horizontally oriented StackLayout ignores the Start, Center, End, or Fill fields if they are set on the HorizontalOptions properties of child views.

I don't understand what does "respect" mean here, I actually can change the VerticalOptions of a view inside a StackLayout of Orientation set to "Vertical" in a normal way, and I always make use of it!

Answers

• CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@mshwf said:
    In the guides for "LayoutOptions": developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/user-interface/layouts/layout-options/#Alignment , I read this:

A StackLayout does not respect the Start, Center, End, and Fill LayoutOptions fields on child views that are in the same direction as the StackLayout orientation. Therefore, a vertically oriented StackLayout ignores the Start, Center, End, or Fill fields if they are set on the VerticalOptions properties of child views. Similarly, a horizontally oriented StackLayout ignores the Start, Center, End, or Fill fields if they are set on the HorizontalOptions properties of child views.

I don't understand what does "respect" mean here, I actually can change the VerticalOptions of a view inside a StackLayout of Orientation set to "Vertical" in a normal way, and I always make use of it!

It says that it will ignore Start, Center, End, and Fill LayoutOptions Options although you set explicitly for items inside stacklayout.

• mshwfmshwf EGMember ✭✭✭

@Charwaka said:

@mshwf said:

It says that it will ignore Start, Center, End, and Fill LayoutOptions Options although you set explicitly for items inside stacklayout.

No,it doesn't ignore them, have you tried it?

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@mshwf - By coincidence, I asked Xamarin to re-visit this just a few days ago. See https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/307416#Comment_307416

• CharwakaCharwaka INMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017

Hi @mshwf

see for vertical StackLayout

<StackLayout>
                    <Label Grid.Row="0" Text="Charwaka" HorizontalTextAlignment="Center" VerticalTextAlignment="Center" FontSize="24" FontAttributes="Bold" BackgroundColor="LightGray"
                       TextColor="CadetBlue" HorizontalOptions="Start" />
                    <Label Grid.Row="0" Text="Charwaka" HorizontalOptions="Center" HorizontalTextAlignment="Center" VerticalTextAlignment="Center" FontSize="24" FontAttributes="Bold" BackgroundColor="LightGray"
                       TextColor="CadetBlue" />
                    <Label Grid.Row="0" Text="Charwaka" HorizontalTextAlignment="Center" VerticalTextAlignment="Center" FontSize="24" FontAttributes="Bold" BackgroundColor="LightGray"
                       TextColor="CadetBlue" HorizontalOptions="End" />
                </StackLayout>

See for Horizontal Layout Same code I just changed orientation

<StackLayout Orientation="Horizontal">
                   TextColor="CadetBlue" HorizontalOptions="Start" />
                <Label Grid.Row="0" Text="Charwaka" HorizontalOptions="Center" HorizontalTextAlignment="Center" VerticalTextAlignment="Center" FontSize="24" FontAttributes="Bold" BackgroundColor="LightGray"
                   TextColor="CadetBlue" />
                   TextColor="CadetBlue" HorizontalOptions="End" />
            </StackLayout>

I hope you understand