Unable to install "Xamarin for Visual Studio Updates"

Hi,
After complete Uninstalling and Installing Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2015 (Version 14.0.25431.01 Update 3)

The Option/Window "Xamarin for Visual Studio Updates" shows me that there is a "Stable" Xamarin 4.2.2.11 available.

But this window:

• Have no [Download] button
  • Shows "progress bar at 100%" and message "Download Complete"
  • Have an [Install] button, but when clicking install shows an error message that the install package is not available
    (install package is not available because was not downloaded or "lost" when re-installing VS)

Is there a way to "reset" this "Download Complete" and get back the initial [Download] button?

regards,
Antonio

• Prajakta.ShindePrajakta.Shinde INUniversity ✭✭

Did you find solution? I have problem that updates have been downloaded but not getting install in Visual studio 2015-Xamarin.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you people tried running Modify or Repair option in VS installer?

• AnubhavRanjanAnubhavRanjan INXamarin Team Xamurai

@Prajakta.Shinde said:
    Did you find solution? I have problem that updates have been downloaded but not getting install in Visual studio 2015-Xamarin.

Did you by any chance install VS2017 with Xamarin?

• kartalturgutkartalturgut TRMember ✭✭

Any solution?

• LesFergLesFerg NZMember ✭✭

When I open a Xamarin project in VS2015, on Windows 7, I see a Windows notification pop-up which briefly appears, saying there is a Xamarin update available and "click here to...." then it disappears.
    There is a Xamarin icon in the system tray but it does not respond to any mouse action.
    Is this notification managed by Xamarin software, Visual Studio, Windows 7 or (C) All of the above?
    Can somebody make this look and function a little more professionally?

Also when I start the install process via VS2015 then try to type an email or whatever, the installer keeps grabbing focus in different popups which then get their cancel button activated. This is very annoying. Could it be modified to NOT keep grabbing focus and just do it's thing in the background?

@LesFerg said:
    When I open a Xamarin project in VS2015, on Windows 7, I see a Windows notification pop-up which briefly appears, saying there is a Xamarin update available and "click here to...." then it disappears.
    There is a Xamarin icon in the system tray but it does not respond to any mouse action.
    Is this notification managed by Xamarin software, Visual Studio, Windows 7 or (C) All of the above?
    Can somebody make this look and function a little more professionally?

Also when I start the install process via VS2015 then try to type an email or whatever, the installer keeps grabbing focus in different popups which then get their cancel button activated. This is very annoying. Could it be modified to NOT keep grabbing focus and just do it's thing in the background?

First, this question is out of place in this thread.

Second, are you new to Xamarin? Windows 7 is no good now. Besides loosing support from Microsoft it can't accommodate any of the modern emulators / simulators.

I have not used this setup. However in VS2015 go to Tools -> Options -> Xamarin -> Others. Then click on the Check for Updates.

• LesFergLesFerg NZMember ✭✭
    edited June 2017

Thank you. Not sure why the question is out of place, it is the Xamarin add-in to Visual Studio which is responsible for raising update notifications to the user, is it not? If the people responsible for the quality of the software simply don't care about Windows 7 users then I guess that answers my first question.

Second issue; kind of new to Xamarin, but at the mercy of a large organisation which is eager to bring iPads and Windows phones and tablets into use but is not ready to upgrade us from Windows 7 workstations. Are you saying that Xamarin development is so far out of reach for me that I should just give up?

Also, I have a Mac to connect to from VS2015, so the emulator capabilities don't worry me too much.

@LesFerg said:
    Thank you. Not sure why the question is out of place,

This thread is originated due to an issue in installing the update after the download and not about not finding the update itself. Actually if you search the forum, you will find a few threads on your issue.

Second issue; kind of new to Xamarin, but at the mercy of a large organisation which is eager to bring iPads and Windows phones and tablets into use but is not ready to upgrade us from Windows 7 workstations. Are you saying that Xamarin development is so far out of reach for me that I should just give up?

I heavily depend on emulators / simulators and hence I moved from Windows 7 to Windows 8.x to Windows 10. If you are with a LARGE organization they should be able to get you at least one Windows 10 machine so that your development will be faster.

Also, I have a Mac to connect to from VS2015, so the emulator capabilities don't worry me too much.

If you have a Mac, then you have a very lucky path...Download VS2017 for Mac, which is free, and start developing. But VS for Mac is in preview so there may be some hick-ups, but it is gaining popularity as you don't have to install Windows on Parallels. Also since you are not dependent on simulators, you should be good with that.

• AlanClarkAlanClark USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I just want to clarify that Visual Studio for Mac is actually now in the Stable channel, and we definitely recommend using it over Xamarin Studio moving forward.

@AlanClark said:
    I just want to clarify that Visual Studio for Mac is actually now in the Stable channel, and we definitely recommend using it over Xamarin Studio moving forward.

That's really great news. I will check it again.

• ilyasilyas USMember ✭✭

same problem...