Storyboard does not load anymore after upgrading Xcode to version 9.1 (9B55)

After the update of Xcode to build 9b55 this morning my storyboard did not load anymore.

Xcode is too new
'This file has been edited in a version of Xcode which is unsupported by the designer. Documents saved in Xcode 9.1 format, or older, are supported.'

I did not even open the storyboard in Xcode Designer... I use the alfa channel 7.3 Build 708 of Visual Studio.
Is there anything that I can change in the XML of the storyboard to make it open in Visual Studio again ?

The storyboard starts with :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Would lowering the toolsVersion work ? If so, what would be a "good" version ?

Thanks

Bert

• Like I was guessing, changing the toolsVersion attribute is a workaround to fix my problem.
    I set it back to the version number of another solution that still worked.
    In my case it was toolsVersion="13196", fortunately I can proceed with my work now.
    I find working in Xcode still nicer than working in the Visual Studio Designer (this is an understatement...) , but you cannot set C# names to objects
    (or better phrased: "i do not know how to assign C# names to objects in Xcode", if someone knows, let me know ;-))

• BOKABOKA GBMember ✭✭

Hi Bert, I'm having the same issue. I've tried to install an earlier version of XCode but only 9.1 9b55 is available. I re-installed Visual Studio for Mac Community in case there was a newer version but neither of these actions made any difference. I'm new to all this. Can you tell me exactly how I change the toolsVersion attribute and how do I determine a version number from a solution that is still working? Thanks, Brian.

• AliOdaciAliOdaci NLMember

Brain, open the storyboard (or xib) file in source code editor by right clicking on the file and selecting Open with Source Code Editor. A storyboard file is an XML file. You'll see the toolsVersion somewhere on line 2. Sad but true.

• Thanks Ali, this is exactly the right answer (you were quicker than me to respond :smile: )
  • aymenhajsalemaymenhajsalem FRMember

thank you ! it helps me too!

• tbktbk USMember ✭✭
    edited November 6

thank you all. Changing the tools version down to 13196 helped me too. I guess we have to do this from now on for every project/storyboard we create until Xamarin releases an update? I also notice if you close and reopen the storyboard, it changes the version back to the "new" version again. So I have to keep changing it back to 13196 every time I open it up. It's better than being stuck in the water but I'll be extra careful in the future before blindly upgrading to a new version of XCode as it's sort of made a slight mess of my Xamarin ios experience.

Does anyone know when they'll release an XCode 9.1 compatible version of Xamarin that will correct this?

• AliOdaciAliOdaci NLMember

@BertDegenhartDrenth said:
    Thanks Ali, this is exactly the right answer (you were quicker than me to respond :smile: )

:smile:

• same issue here, however, after changing toolsVersion="13196" I could not edit/add constraints, so I changed to toolsVersion="13527" and it did the trick

• OnurHazarOnurHazar USUniversity ✭✭

Thanks for the workaround. If you create outlets in xcode IB then your project won't be built. So I added outlets from xamarin iOS designer then changed the toolsVersion to "13527" in order to build the project properly. You need to do this everytime if you want to edit the storyboard.

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited November 9

Hey All,

Support for Xcode 9.1 is not in a Stable release yet. We do have support available in the latest 15.5 Preview 3 versions. In order to continue using Stable release versions, please continue with Xcode 9.0.1.

Update 11/9/2017: Xcode 9.1 support is available with the latest Stable channel release, 15.4.3. Please make sure to update to this and confirm if it resolves any issues with Xcode 9.1.

• jkapsijkapsi USMember

My solution was to download and install an older version of Xcode. I open the older Xcode from downloads, then I open my storyboard file and save it. The new save version can be opened from visual studio

• JakubKazmierskiJakubKazmierski CAUniversity

Hi,

Got the same issue. There are two way work with this.
    One is to create your own interfaces (i'm not allowed to post link).

The other option is to open with Source code editor and change 'toolsVersion="12120" systemVersion="16E195"' in the document tag. And change 'version="12088" inside the plugIn tag. Then save. This lets me reopen.

• FelaAmeghinoFelaAmeghino ITMember

Still not working with 15.4.3, designer loads indefinitely forever

@FelaAmeghino,

Make sure that Xcode opens successfully on the Mac. If the issue continues, please use the Help > Report a Problem feature in the IDE and attach the log files from the Help menu too.

• FelaAmeghinoFelaAmeghino ITMember

@JohnMiller Hey, after a lot of attempts (I have rebooted even the toaster probably %)) it is working again, no idea about what triggered it

• Thanks @BertDegenhartDrenth that worked for me

• meepoumeepou FRMember ✭✭

I have VS for Mac 7.2.2 (11) Storyboard doesn't open at all, doesn't load, doesn't throw any error ... Seems like there is a Storyboard issue with each version of VS .... :-(

• AlexFikselAlexFiksel USMember

Have the same issue with latest updates of Visual Studio 15.4.3 and latest updates of Xamarin on Mac.
    Story board opening hangs forever just showing progress bar

Hey All,

If you are having trouble opening a storyboard with the latest 15.4.3 release, please file an issue and include your log files. If allowed, please attach the storyboard file too.

If you are using Visual Studio for Mac, file the issue here. Logs are available from the Help > Open Log Directory (zip and attach them after the issue happens)

If you are using Visual Studio on Windows, file the issue here. Logs are available from the Help > Xamarin > Zip Xamarin Logs.

When filing an issue in Bugzilla, please choose "iOS Designer" as the "Component". Please include your version information too.

• mateusz.dotmateusz.dot PLMember

Hey All,

I have visual 15.4.3, Xcode 9.1 - all new updates

For me worked changing toolsVersion to 13527 but I had to clean project before openning my storyboard.

• mateusz.dotmateusz.dot PLMember

EdIt: changing toolsVersion to 13196

• JoeMoJoeMo CAMember ✭✭
    edited November 13

Changing the toolsVersion to 13196 for my storyboard does work for most of them.
    However, I have one particular storyboard which will not open. The designer will be stuck trying to load it without giving any error messages.

edit: Actually, it stopped working across every storyboards now.

Hey All,

There are several bug reports already filed which sound similar to this. Unfortunately, none of them have helped me reproduce the issues. I suspect this is because I don't have the entire project.

If anyone is able to share a full project that I can use to try and reproduce the loading issues, please message me.

• John, I can share a complete project with you..
    Please mail me with details how I can get the project to you.

• Sajjad.SarkoobiSajjad.Sarkoobi USMember ✭✭

I have this problem too.
    I understand you are trying to solve the problem, I'm using Xamarin for more than 3 years, I saw this kind of problems alot in Xamarin, and each time I should solve the challenges and find a way for fixing IDE, Designer, Xcode compatibility, device support, API support and ......
    I was so disappointed that for more than 1 week we couldn't use Xcode 9.1 and iOS 11.1, so just wasting time, and delay in project release.
    I think this is time to switch to Xcode and swift for real projects. at least we have better support from Apple there.

• JoeMoJoeMo CAMember ✭✭
    edited November 13

Btw, I was using the most up-to-date version of vs2017, xamarin, and Xcode as of nov 13th 2017. From the Mac, I switched Xamarin to the beta branch and although things seems significantly slower, I can now open storyboards and work on them without any problem.

• @mateusz.dot

... but I had to clean project before openning my storyboard.

Thanks, that's the piece I needed to get back to work. Only a few hours lost on this one! :neutral:

Just an update from my end, I have made progress on reproducing the loading issue from a project that was shared with me. The bug report tracking this is currently private but I will post back once I have more info from engineering on their investigation.

The current workaround does seem to be to Clean the project before opening the storyboard file.

• This morning I installed preview 4 of Visual Studio for Mac (alpha channel)
    Version 7.3 Preview (7.3 build 764)
    The storyboard now loads without any problems and and the compatibility issue with Xcode seems to be resolved too.
    Xcode 9.1 (13532)
    Many thanks for everyone who contributed to this solution.

Bert