Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Application.Current.Properties retained on app upgrade?

JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭

We're using Application.Current.Properties to store settings data for our app.

When we release a new version of the app to the store (Apple App Store and Google Play), are these settings retained or cleared?

Best Answer

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Hi Norman - thanks. So your answer is "Yes. I think." ;-)

I've just run a test by distributing two versions to HockeyApp - both for iOS and Android - and the values stored in Application.Current.Properties (note, not Settings from any settings plugin) are retained on installation of the updated version.

This is good news for us and our customer!

Answers

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

Certainly when we push new updates of our apps out via Hockeyapp our SQLite database with app settings is retains, in Android you have to "clear data" to wipe the database or uninstall the app.

I think you'll be fine but it's worth doing a test with Hockeyapp or something to simulate an upgrade.

• JamesLaveryJamesLavery GBBeta, University ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I've just run a test by distributing two versions to HockeyApp - both for iOS and Android - and the values stored in Application.Current.Properties (note, not Settings from any settings plugin) are retained on installation of the updated version.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

@JamesLavery said:

"I think" is a standard IT disclaimer :smile: