When will be AOT available again?

ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭

Hi,
My very simple Xamarin Android app startup time is about 5 second on a decent Samsung A5 mobile, reading through lot of comments, generic solution is to switch on AOT. For example: blog.xamarin.com/5-ways-boost-xamarin-forms-app-startup-time/

However, **I cannot find that option in my Xamarin VS2017 **Android Build options dialog (Xamarin: 4.5.0.486 / Xamarin.Android 7.3.1.2)
I found in your release notes, that it has be REMOVED in 6.1: developer.xamarin.com/releases/android/xamarin.android_6/xamarin.android_6.1/

AOT and AOT+LLVM support has always been experimental. It has been discovered that AOT+LLVM support hasn't worked since at least Xamarin.Android 6.0; the AOT+LLVM compiler executed but didn't do anything. During QA, it was determined that in attempting to fix the "AOT+LLVM didn't do anything" issue, the AOT+LLVM compiler instead crashed.
Consequently, AOT+LLVM support has been disabled in the Xamarin.Android 6.1 release. It will be re-enabled in a future release.

My question, when will it back?
And is it possible to force somehow to use? Like adding manually to project xml or so?

Thanks,
Zoli

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• DirkWilhelmDirkWilhelm USMember ✭✭✭✭

I'm using VS2017 with Xamarin 4.7.9.45 and Xamarin.Android 7.4.5.1 and i have the AOT option in the Android Options.

• ZoliZoli NLMember ✭✭✭

I read some places that AOT is only available in Xamarin Enterprise. I don't have that. Do you? If so, this could explain it...

• seal2002seal2002 VNMember ✭✭

Hello,
    You means enterprise licence for Visual Studio or Xamarin ? I have visial studio Professional 2017 but I don't have those options. I use VS 15.4.1, Xamarin 4.7.10.22 & Xamarin.Android SDK 8.0.0.33

Hello @Zoli, try with these line in your csproj
    <EmbedAssembliesIntoApk>True</EmbedAssembliesIntoApk>
    <BundleAssemblies>True</BundleAssemblies>
    <AotAssemblies>True</AotAssemblies>
    <EnableLLVM>True</EnableLLVM>

• rraallvvrraallvv Member ✭✭

@seal2002 are those options for Visual Studio? Would they work for Visual Studio for Mac?

@rraallvv : yes, those options are for visual studio. I added them to .csproj and It works. I haven't try on Mac yet but I think it should be worked.

@rraallvv : yes, those options are for visual studio. I added them to .csproj and It works. I haven't try on Mac yet but I think it should be worked.

• rraallvvrraallvv Member ✭✭

@seal2002 thanks so much.

• pacomaralpacomaral Member ✭✭

Any news on this? Do you need VS Enterprise to enable AOT Compilation, or is there any way to do it without?

• SteveShaw.5557SteveShaw.5557 USMember ✭✭✭

@pacomaral - You need VS Enterprise. In fact, the current VS Community explicits turns OFF AOT if it is on (a year ago you could manually edit .csproj to turn it on, but that no longer works in Community).

• pacomaralpacomaral Member ✭✭

@SteveShaw.5557 said:
    @pacomaral - You need VS Enterprise. In fact, the current VS Community explicits turns OFF AOT if it is on (a year ago you could manually edit .csproj to turn it on, but that no longer works in Community).

If anyone is interested, you can still do an AOT Compilation by doing the building from the Developer Command Tool of Visual Studio after updating manually the .csproj file. If you do the build from Visual Studio the changes are deleted.

• john_titushkojohn_titushko Member ✭✭

Does anyone have a solution to this issue today?