Forum Xamarin.iOS

"Could not find file XXX.exe.manifest" Upon Publish

I have a Forms application I am trying to Publish on iOS. Debugging the application works perfectly fine, but publishing using any configuration results in the following Error: Could not find file 'obj\iPhone\Debug\XXX.exe.manifest'.

The discussion thread found in discussion 73499 (apparently, I'm too new to include a URL) implies that the problem can be solved by turning off "Enable ClickOnce security settings." That is certainly true when debugging the application; I turned this option on and attempted to debug the application and got the same error. I then turned it back off and was able to debug just fine.

However, when I attempt to Publish to iOS, "Enable ClickOnce security settings" is automatically turned on, resulting, apparently, in the above error. My guess is that some flaw in my settings related to trust are insufficient or inaccurate, causing MSBuild to turn on "Enable ClickOnce" in order to complete the Publish.

The Error related to the missing manifest file while building with ClickOnce turned on appears to be bug 58407.

I'll trust Xamarin to get that bug fix deployed ASAP, but for now, I need to know why Enable ClickOnce security settings is getting toggled on by the Publish process. Any ideas?

Best Answer

Answers

• BruceFullwoodBruceFullwood USMember ✭✭
    edited October 2017

I had been referring to the distribution guide, but it seems I missed that page. Thanks for for the direct pointer, John.

Suggestion: If Publish is not supported and shouldn't be used, I wonder if the Visual Studio team might consider removing the option or at least disabling it for Xamarin Projects.

Additionally, there are TONS of questions related to using this menu option. I referred to at least one conversation discussing it. Apparently, I'm not the only one thinking that Publish should be used. Disabling the option would go a long way to clearing up the confusion.

Another option would be to make Publish work; folks would probably find that to be an intuitive option.

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@BruceFullwood,

I agree! I filed a request for the team to investigate this and decide on the best action.