Xamarin Studio not getting started

amlanamlan INMember

Hi I have been using Xamarin Studio for over a month on Windows 7. But ,from yesterday Xamarin Studio is not starting at all. It gives the exception : "Xamarin Studio failed to start. The following error has been reported: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation." I am in a fix as I don't know what went wrong. I am attaching the log herewith.Please help.

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms.

at System.Security.Cryptography.MD5CryptoServiceProvider..ctor()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at System.Security.Cryptography.CryptoConfig.CreateFromName(String name, Object[] args)

at System.Security.Cryptography.MD5.Create()

at Xamarin.Components.Ide.GravatarService.GetGravatar(String email, Int32 size)

at Xamarin.Ide.XamarinWelcomePageBarLoginButton.AccountStatusChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at Xamarin.Ide.XamarinWelcomePageBarLoginButton..ctor()

at Xamarin.Ide.XamarinWelcomePage.BuildContent(Container parent)

at MonoDevelop.Ide.WelcomePage.WelcomePageWidget..ctor()

at Xamarin.Ide.XamarinWelcomePage..ctor()

at Xamarin.Ide.XamarinWelcomePageProvider.CreateWidget()

at MonoDevelop.Ide.WelcomePage.WelcomePageService.ShowWelcomePage(Boolean animate)

at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeApp.Initialize(IProgressMonitor monitor)

at MonoDevelop.Ide.IdeStartup.Run(MonoDevelopOptions options)

• mhutchmhutch Xamurai USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

You appear to have set Windows to allow only FIPS compliant hashing and signing. This is a problem since we need MD5 (which is not FIPS compliant) to interact with the Gravatar web service, among other things.

I have filed a bug at https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15219

• amlanamlan INMember

I reinstalled xamarin studio. Now I able to open the studio, however when I try to build a project the following error is shown:

Build failed. No compatible framework found for assembly 'C:\Program Files\Xamarin Studio\bin\MSBuild\dotnet.4.0\MonoDevelop.Projects.Formats.MSBuild.exe' (required framework: Unknown,Version=v0.0)

Build: 1 error, 0 warnings

Please guide me on this issue...

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast Xamurai USXamarin Team Xamurai

Do you not have Microsoft's .NET Framework v4.0 installed?

• amlanamlan INMember

I have Microsoft .net framework 4.5 installed

Can you check the log files from Help->Open Log Directory? Looks like some kind of unhandled error in the assembly version detection code.

• ranirani INMember

Hi..
    I am new to xamarin.how to use xamarin studio toolbox control.please reply as soon as it is urgent..how to change controls loaction.
    Thanks

• amlanamlan INMember

the log file is posted below...I have been banging my head over this issue...please help:

This appears to be the same problem as before. Our assembly reader uses the .NET SHA1Managed class, which is not FIPS compliant, and your machine is set to allow only FIPS certified cryptography.

ERROR [2013-10-21 12:33:51Z]: Error to determine target framework for assembly C:\Program Files\Xamarin Studio\bin\MSBuild\dotnet.4.0\MonoDevelop.Projects.Formats.MSBuild.exe: System.InvalidOperationException: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms.
       at System.Security.Cryptography.SHA1Managed..ctor()
       at IKVM.Reflection.AssemblyName.ComputePublicKeyToken(Byte[] publicKey)
       at IKVM.Reflection.AssemblyName.get_FullName()
       at IKVM.Reflection.Universe.LoadAssembly(RawModule module)
       at IKVM.Reflection.Universe.LoadFile(String path)
       at IKVM.Reflection.Universe.DefaultResolver(String refname, Boolean throwOnError)
       at IKVM.Reflection.Universe.Load(String refname, Module requestingModule, Boolean throwOnError)

• amlanamlan INMember

So we have no option but to change the registry as in the url:
    support.microsoft.com/kb/911722

• DaveHuntDaveHunt ✭✭✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@amlan,

You don't have to edit the registry directly. In Control Panel -> Administrative Tools, there is a Local Security Settings applet. Run that, expand the Local Policies entry and click on Security Options. In the right-hand pane, scroll down until you find "System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption,...". Double-click that entry and click the Disabled radio button.

Yes, until we fix Xamarin Studio to run under this FIPS restriction, you will have to disable the setting. Sorry about that, it's a very uncommon setting (this is literally the first time I've heard of it being a problem) and we weren't aware it would cause these issues.

• RamanChhinaRamanChhina ✭✭ USMember ✭✭

Is there a resolution for this now? I am using Windows 10, Visual Studio 2017. My organization doesn't allow for disabling of FIPS.

Thanks!