Xamarin Forms iOS11 Large Title text Extra Blank space

MdNaushadMdNaushad INMember ✭✭

Hi All,
I am trying to update my app to support iOS 11 Large Texts feature. In my custom Navigation Page renderer I have set
NavigationBar.PrefersLargeTitles = true;

The Large Title texts are displayed fine and on scroll they get smaller too.
However on scroll when the Large Title becomes smaller, I am seeing an extra white space at the bottom. (Highlighted in the attached screen shot).
I have read and browsed a lot of posts regarding the issue but my bad luck that none of them works.

I am pretty sure someone would have encountered the error and would have found a workaround or it's solution.

Best Answer

Answers

• JamesWoodallJamesWoodall GBUniversity

Bump. I see this too. Did you get an answer to this?

• MdNaushadMdNaushad INMember ✭✭
    edited October 9
    @JamesWoodall Noo. I haven't found the answer yet. I have posted the same question in stackoverflow ( https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46629629/xamarin-forms-ios11-large-title-text-extra-blank-space ) but no answers.
    I guess it's a bug with Xamarin. So far the blogs or the posts that I have seen about PreferLargeText has this bug.
    I have created a bug for the xamarin team
    https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=60054
    In case I have an answer I will post it here.
  • JEREMYMARABELJEREMYMARABEL USMember

Helop MdNaushad,

Any news about this issue? Your bugzilla thread is private.

As per the status, it says the bug is confirmed, but I haven't heard back from the Xamarin Team.
    (Sorry I couldn't make the bug public (I am actually unaware of how to do that))

• JoeBrockJoeBrock USMember

Does anyone from the Xamarin Forms team have an update on this? We're keen to start using iOS 11 features as soon as possible!

• rmarinhormarinho PTMember, Insider, Beta Xamurai

hey we know the issue and are looking into it.

@rmarinho - Thank you :)
    Just to add a small point since I see the status of the bug in bugzilla as "In Progress".
    When you are scrolling the view and the large title text becomes smaller, the animation/transition is not so smooth.
    The default iOS mail app and also since WhatsApp also has updated to iOS11, have very smooth animation/transition of the Navigation Title from large to small.

• RunarOvesenHjerpbakkRunarOvesenHjerpbakk NOUniversity ✭✭

Any ETA on a fix for this @rmarinho ? I've got the same issues in my apps and iPhone X is just a couple of days away. BTW, tried the lates pre-release of version 2.5 and the problem persists.

Looks like the issue is fixed and it is merged to master branch of Xamarin Forms.
    https://github.com/xamarin/Xamarin.Forms/pull/1238
    Hopefully I think it will be available in next Xamarin Forms update.
    @rmarinho - Can you let us know in which Xamarin Forms Update this will be available?

As per Xamarin team, it will available in Xamarin Forms 2.4.0 SR4
    https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/xamarin-forms/xamarin-forms-2.4/2.4.0-stable/

• JoeBrockJoeBrock USMember

This does not appear to be fixed as of 2.4.0-sr5 nor the very recent 2.5.0 release that was published on GitHub. Reproduction is easily achieved by creating the template master/detail project via File -> New Project, switching on large titles, and adding additional items to the mock data store.

It has been over a month since this issue was raised - when are we likely to see a fix?

Accepted Answer

As of Xamarin Forms - 2.5.0.91635. This issue is resolved.
    Thanks @XamarinTeam & @rmarinho for solving this.

• 15mgm1515mgm15 USMember ✭✭✭

I am still seeing the issue on 2.5.0.91635 I am even using Navigation Renderers and a Content Page Renderer and I am not able to see the Large tittles :|

edited November 23

@15mgm15 said:
    I am still seeing the issue on 2.5.0.91635 I am even using Navigation Renderers and a Content Page Renderer and I am not able to see the Large tittles :|

Hey, the question this post followed was about the extra black space at the bottom.
    The large are getting displayed properly right from when the update for iOS11 was launched.

In case if you haven't seen it,here is how I am setting the LargeTitles in my app. In the custom Navigation renderer override the following method

public override void ViewDidLoad()
                {
                    base.ViewDidLoad();
                    if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.CheckSystemVersion(11, 0))
                    {
                        NavigationBar.PrefersLargeTitles = true;
                    }
                }

• 15mgm1515mgm15 USMember ✭✭✭

Whoops sorry about that I must have confused the threads @MdNaushad I am using the same code, however I am not able to see the large tittles (weird)

Can you please post the code of your custom navigation renderer? And your Xamarin Forms version?