Multi Language in a Shared Solution

Hello,

I'm trying to implement a Localization (Multi Language) Support in a Shared (Not PCL) Solution.

I did some researches and found some useful links like:

https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/17747/how-to-manage-app-localization

And the Documentation of Xamarin: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/xamarin-forms/advanced/localization/

However the sample for Shared Solution is seen as a Hack.
And is not very good for Maintain.

See Here

I wish to know if any of you guys know a better solution for this problem :)

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using the Xamarin solution for this, I can't think of an alternative solution because what it's doing is setting the CultureInfo of the current thread running, however I think it does work well and I've not had any trouble doing it that way.

• @seanyda ,
    Are you using a Shared Solution or PCL?

If you use Shared, manually sync the gets and sets ,as @CraigDunn said, is time consuming?

"For the default resources AppResources.resx file - which normally would have the AppResources.designer.cs file auto-generated - you must manually keep the C# properties synchronized with whatever string elements you add to the resources XML��. This is going to be incredibly tedious and error prone, so using RESX localiztion with Shared Projects is not typically recommended unless you understand these limitations!"

• seanydaseanyda GBMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@RaphaelChiorlinRanieri said:
    @seanyda ,
    Are you using a Shared Solution or PCL?

If you use Shared, manually sync the gets and sets ,as @CraigDunn said, is time consuming?

"For the default resources AppResources.resx file - which normally would have the AppResources.designer.cs file auto-generated - you must manually keep the C# properties synchronized with whatever string elements you add to the resources XML��. This is going to be incredibly tedious and error prone, so using RESX localiztion with Shared Projects is not typically recommended unless you understand these limitations!"

Sorry my bad, I missed the shared bit. I am using PCL, I hope you sort your issue :(

• Thank You @CraigDunn !
    I will Try that. :)

@DavidBritch I saw you did the last commit in the github of this sample

It was you that made the code? Could you say exactly what was the limitations that you referred ?

• @CraigDunn
    Just to give a FeedBack about your Idea...
    I was able to use as you mentioned.

However there is a problem.
    To use the AppResources of the PCL project in my Shared project I have to change it from an internal class to a public one.

And every time that I change the .resx file and the .cs class from it is recreated, the the keyword goes back to internal.

So after every time I change the .resx I I have to change the .cs class to 'public' again.

• Any way.
    I was able to solve this using the PublicResXFileCodeGenerator in the customCompiler

Reference:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4274311/visual-studio-resx-file-default-internal-to-public