FFImageLoading is Not Loading Image From App Sandbox in Xamarin.Forms UWP

dinobdinob ✭✭✭USUniversity ✭✭✭

I am using a Xamarin.Forms UWP app that has image "myicon.png" downloaded to its sandbox location. It's path is like below and I can see it and in Windows Explorer and open the image in MS Paint for example. That prooves that the image exists in the App Sandbox:
"C:/Users/me/AppData/Local/Packages/f040f23f-de21-4722-832d-7b617ef7fbe1_16fy7p00psw5z2/LocalState/se/resources/resources/plugins/spseplugin/myicon.png"

So, the image is not added to project structure (neither PCL nor UWP) but it is available in the app sandbox location.

I am trying to load that image and show it in StackLayout in my UWP app using FFImageLoading library for performance reason as it does image caching. In order to do so, I am doing following:

1. I have downloaded Nuget for FFImageLoading and it is added to my references
  2. In UWP App.xaml.cs, I added following as per FFImageLoading GitHub documentation instructions:
                        var assembliesToInclude = new List<Assembly>()
                        {
                            typeof(CachedImage).GetTypeInfo().Assembly,
                            typeof(CachedImageRenderer).GetTypeInfo().Assembly
                        };
                        Xamarin.Forms.Forms.Init(e, assembliesToInclude);
  1. In my UWP MainPage.xaml.cs, I added following line in MainPage c-tor just after call to InitializeComponent, also as per FFImageLoading GitHub instructions:
    CachedImageRenderer.Init();

2. Add xmlns namespace for FFImageLoading library in my XAML:
    xmlns:ff="clr-namespace:FFImageLoading.Forms;assembly=FFImageLoading.Forms"

3. Add FFImageLoading CachedImage to my StackLayout:

<ff:CachedImage       <-- using CachedImage wont show image. Using Image will show it.
          Source="{Binding ImageUri}" 
          WidthRequest="20" 
          HeightRequest="20" 
          VerticalOptions="Center" 
          DownsampleToViewSize="True" />

Above, ImageUri is a property on my view-model and putting break point on it shows that it is set to the image file path I showed above.

Using FFImageLoading CachedImage however is not showing the image when I run my app whereas Image (Xamarin Image View) is showing it fine.

Answers

• dinobdinob ✭✭✭ USUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017

UPDATE to the above question
    @DanielL Provided the link to github repo for FFImageLoading library ImageSourceConverter
    https://github.com/luberda-molinet/FFImageLoading/blob/master/source/FFImageLoading.Forms/ImageSourceConverter.cs#L17-L47

Interesting finding here. This converter implements TypeConverter and if I use it like this

<ff:CachedImage Source="{Binding ImageUri, Converter={StaticResource imageSourceConverter}}" 
      WidthRequest="30" HeightRequest="30" VerticalOptions="Center" 
      InputTransparent="True" 

, it will crash with error "Cannot assign property "Converter": Property does not exists, or is not assignable, or mismatching type between value and property".

I copied the code for this converter into my own class and it would still crash with same error. And it does so even before it hits the break point I placed in there.

But then, I changed it to implement IValueConverter instead of TypeConverter and implemented Convert() method from IValueConverter instead the CanConvertFrom and ConvertFrom from TypeConverter, I removed Preserve and Obsolete attributes. I moved code from ConvertFrom to the Convert method and it started working fine and image is being displayed.
    @DanielL Any comment on this? Thank you

edited September 2017

.... and if I use above TypeConverter the way TypeConverter should be used like:

<ff:CachedImage Source="{Binding ImageUri}" 
          WidthRequest="30" HeightRequest="30" VerticalOptions="Center" 
          InputTransparent="True" 

and adding TypeConverter to my ImageUri property like in screenshot below, I would get that TypeConverter is not available in UWP :(

• DanielLDanielL ✭✭✭✭ PLInsider ✭✭✭✭

@dinobuljubasic TypeConverter is a Xamarin.Forms class. You either have some corrupted Xamarin.Forms installation or some missing references problem.

edited September 2017

@DanielL I am seeing this problem happening to quite few people outthere when dealing with UWP. I understand it is Xamarin.Forms class but it is not supported in UWP and there is nothing telling me how to resolve it nor suggesting a missing reference or corrupt installation.
    timheuer.com/blog/archive/2017/02/15/implement-type-converter-uwp-winrt-windows-10-xaml.aspx

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=54415

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12495937/winrt-replacement-for-system-componentmodel-typeconverter
    I installed Xamarin.FFImageLoading.Forms nuget on my entire solution. Thanks

@dinobuljubasic Nice research. I'm not using Windows a lot. Do you have any suggestions how could we fix this? Xamarin's Image uses TypeConverter class in every platform. Maybe you could create an issue on our github page?

BTW: you're missing Xamarin.FFImageLoading.Svg package.

@DanielL I already created an issue at github (https://github.com/luberda-molinet/FFImageLoading/issues/729) and I updated to show what exactly was added by Nuget Package Manager on solution level.

• YogeshhJunejaYogeshhJuneja ✭✭ INMember ✭✭
    edited December 2017

<ffimageloading:CachedImage Aspect="AspectFill" WidthRequest="50" HeightRequest="50" Source="{Binding Source=url}" DownsampleToViewSize="true"></ffimageloading:CachedImage>

Image is not showing and if i use normally Image tag then my app crashes , i am showing images in listview

@YogeshhJuneja I'll need some more info / code.