If you are looking to start a Xamarin Developer Group in your city we are here to help! You can find official Xamarin and .NET presentations and workshop on the .NET Foundation Presentations website. We encourage all group leaders to announce their group and events in our Events forum. To get you started we have assembled this list of tips on how to get your group off to a great start:
- Where to setup group: Meetup.com offers an easy way to create and manage developer groups.
- Name: [City] Xamarin Mobile .NET Developers Group -- This is great because it brings in not only Xamarin developers but .NET developers in general and will allow you to focus on both Xamarin and .NET topics.
- Name your URL: http://www.meetup.com/[City]XamarinMobileDevelopers
- Event Date: It is important to meet consistently, the same day each month is optimal, for instance “Second Tuesday of Each Month”.
- Event Time: See what works best for you and your group. 6 PM to 7 PM seem to work well, but again it is optimal to select the same time each month.
- Location: Ideally it is great to have the same location each month as well. We have found that a lot of local colleges are eager to work with user groups. Local shared work spaces, libraries, and local businesses that use Xamarin products may have space available as well.
- Social It is really useful to create a Twitter account for your user group. This is a more appropriate way to send out quick updates without having to spam your users with emails. You can add your Twitter account to Meetup.com under "Group Tools -> Group Settings -> Optional Features". Facebook Pages are also a great tool based on your members usage.
- Meetup.com Topics: Be sure to include "Xamarin" as one of your topics as this will ensure your user group will show up on http://xamarin.meetup.com
When you are up and running be sure to apply to get sponsored by the .NET Foundation