Forum Visual Studio

Xamarin update silently fails

CYoderCYoder USMember

[Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 Update 3, Windows 10 Pro v1703 x64, Xamarin 4.4.0.34]

I am trying to update Xamarin & related components inside VS. (Tools -> Options... -> Xamarin -> Other -> Check Now). The 3 updates (Xamarin 4.6.0.299, Xamarin Profiler 1.5.5, Xamarin iOS Simulator 1.1.1.1) have downloaded and are all labeled "Download completed. Pending to install."

However, when I click the Install button, the Xamarin Updates dialog closes and nothing else happens. I have rebooted, done a repair of VS 2015, but no luck.

Is there an error log file I can look at for more info? Where are these installers saved that I could delete them and try to start over? Thanks for any other suggestions.

Best Answer

Answers

• prashantvcprashantvc USXamarin Team Xamurai

Could you try install the MSI from the command line with logs enabled? (see https://stackoverflow.com/a/7130758/85606)

You can download the installer from here

• CYoderCYoder USMember

Prashant, thanks for the info. I was able to find the installer, and it worked perfectly in when I ran it by itself. The problem is clicking the Install button in that dialog inside of VS does not kick off the installer(s).