Forum Visual Studio

Setting up a new Mac, what's the minimum to install if use Win7 VS2017 for development?

LesCandleLesCandle USMember ✭✭

With my old Mac, I originally installed Xamarin Studio to get the ability to run a simulation on the Mac and do the XCode compilations.

1. Can I just install VS for the Mac without Xamarin Studio now?

2. What about the XCode version - which should I install?

3. Are there 'preview' versions of VS for the Mac like on Windows? I find that I generally use the Preview and would prefer to only install the Preview if possible?

4. I'm a bit confused as how to match the version of VS 2017 installed on Win7 with the version installed on the Mac? If I have the stable and the preview installed on Win7, will it talk to the proper version that corresponds on the Mac automatically? So 'stable' on Win7 needs ?what? on the Mac - and preview on Win7 needs ?what? on the Mac. Ideally, Can both 'stable' and 'preview' on Win7 talk to the 'preview' on the Mac?

5. If the development is done on Win7, it's just using VS Mac to compile to XCode, right? I don't really even need to install all the Android stuff or IOS Xamarin libraries on the Mac. I just need the tool that allows Win7 to compile with XCode on the Mac? Is this absolute minimum sub-set clearly labeled?

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• LesCandleLesCandle USMember ✭✭

@DarshanJS - my goal is a minimal install on OS X (keeping the footprint on my SSD very small) with All the development being done on Win7.

That article doesn't tell me how to do that.

1. I don't know whether the component that VS2017 needs to talk to on the Mac gets installed with VS for the Mac, or only with a Xamarin Studio install.

2. When installing VS for the Mac, I'd guess the component needed by VS20217 is installed, but ... I don't know how to do a 'minimal' install where ALL development is done on VS2017 using Win7? I don't know whether I need ANY of the Android or IOS components installed? It may be that I ONLY need the single component that allows VS2017 to control the Mac to compile with Xcode. That would be my preference.

3. As for Xcode, if I'm using the previews, my guess is they may need a higher version of Xcode than v8? As Xcode is very large, I'd like to just install just the version needed.

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai
    edited August 2017

@LesCandle

All you really should have to install is Xamarin.iOS and XCode I believe. The build host connection tool is installed along with the Xamarin.iOS Package.

Also VS for Mac is really just Xamarin Studio rebranded with some added features like ASP.NET project support. Xamarin Studio will not be getting any more updates, only VS for Mac will get updates going forward.

Currently if you are working with the Xamarin stable channel, use the latest version of XCode that is available from the App Store (Xcode 8.3.3 currently). If you are using XCode 9 preview then use the Xamarin Preview builds for XCode 9:
    https://releases.xamarin.com/preview-xcode-9-beta-5-ios-11-macos-10-13-support-preview-5/

@LesCandle said:
    2. When installing VS for the Mac, I'd guess the component needed by VS20217 is installed

As noted , that is not true. Xamarin.iOS installs the needed components to work with VS for Windows. But I mean literally only installing VS for Mac (from the DMG [Disk Image] file). Many people conflate the Universal installer (which is a .pkg [package installer]) which installs VS for Mac and any selected Xamarin tools (Xam.iOS, Xam.Android, Xam.Mac, Android SDK, etc.) onto your Mac.

So again in summary, for the minimal install on Mac when developing for iOS install XCode and Xam.iOS.

@JGoldberger - Thanks! That clarified a lot!!

But, in your last paragraph> you said:

As noted , that is not true. Xamarin.iOS installs the needed components to work with VS for Windows. But I mean literally only installing VS for Mac (from the DMG [Disk Image] file). Many people conflate the Universal installer (which is a .pkg [package installer]) which installs VS for Mac and any selected Xamarin tools (Xam.iOS, Xam.Android, Xam.Mac, Android SDK, etc.) onto your Mac.

It sounds like there are TWO different installers for Visual Studio for the Mac? Where's the download link for the one that will allow me to just install Xam.IOS on the Mac (along with the build host connection tool)? Is there another url than https://visualstudio.com/vs/?os=mac ?

• JGoldbergerJGoldberger USMember, Forum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University Xamurai

Ah, yes, I have never seen that installer before. That is akin to the universal installer I mentioned earlier, except it is delivered in a .DMG file (disk image file) instead of a .pkg file.

You can get individual components from the Downloads page for your Xamarin account at this link:
    https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#all-versions

Note do not use the Download (recomended) option under Xamarin.iOS... this will give you another Universal Installer like the one from https://visualstudio.com/vs/?os=mac. Instead select whichever version you want from the Product Versions section (most likely the latest version which will be the latest stable version).

You should have a xamarin account if you are posting here, but if not you can create one here:
    https://www.xamarin.com/account/register?returnUrl=http://www.xamarin.com/

@JGoldberger - thanks for the detailed explanation with an image - I might have missed that until I enabled more sites in NoScript!

Does that Just install Xamarin.IOS and the 'build host connection tool' - without installing VS for Mac or Xamarin Studio? Or does it install VS for Mac - and Just Xamarin.IOS?

And for version updates, I'd use VS for Mac (if it's installed by the installer), or ?? download the latest again from that link?

@JGoldberger Excellent! Thanks for the clarification!!

no problem!

edited August 2017

@JGoldberger - I now have VS 2017 15.4.0 Preview 1 installed on Win7.

In 'About Visual Studio', I can see Xamarin.IOS and Xamarin.Mac SDK as 10.14.0.4 (c70e3b5)

I checked on the Download Xamarin Xamarin. IOS https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads#all-versions page, and for OS X, the 'Latest version (Aug 22, 2017) is still 10.12.

Don't I need to run the same version on the Mac as on Win7?

I can see on the Xamarin.IOS 10 releases page https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/ios/xamarin.ios_10/xamarin.ios_10.14/ that 10.14 is the latest version for IOS 10.

Is the 'Download Xamarin' page not current? 10.14 was released a few days ago? I'm confused!

One other related thing. In the same 'Download Xamarin' screen, for Xamarin.IOS Windows, it shows a 'Latest version (Aug 22, 2017) of 4.6.

In my Extensions and Updates for All Installed, I can see Xamarin.Apple SDK as 4.7.0.827 dated Aug 26, 2017. So ... it seems like different versions and different dates? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong things and comparing Apples to Oranges, as one is Xamarin.IOS and the other is Xamarin.Apple SDK? I'm sure there's a simple explanation, and I'm missing something very basic?

@JGoldberger - after installing Xamarin.ios-10.14.0.24.pkg, is there anything else I need to do on the Mac to get that setup?

I tried following the Connecting to the Mac guide https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/installation/windows/connecting-to-mac/. I allowed access for All Users (even adding my name in besides the Administrator) for Remote Login.

My 10.12.6 firewall is not blocking signed applications.

in the 'Connect to Server dialog, VS 2017 15.4.0 Preview 1 can see the mac and shows the Mac's name and ip, but when I try to log in, it repeatedly says "couldn't connect to Les' iMac, Please try again".

On the Mac side, it says "to log into this computer remotely, type: 'ssh [email protected]'. when I setup Remote Login.

So I've tried "lescandle" as the user name and "Les Candle" (which is what shows up in the Users preference pane).

I've tried turning the firewall Off, but I still can't log in from VS2017?

How do I troubleshoot this?

BTW - I don't know if this is of any importance, but when I try to log into my Xamarin Account (still different from my VS2017 Microsoft account?) using Tools->Xamarin Account, I get "Unhandled Activation Error - Could not load machine data"

edited August 2017

@JGoldberger - actually, the Unhandled Activation Error is on my VS2017 Win7 box. This is before I even tried to connect to the Mac. I saw the menu option while looking for the menu to test my connection to the Mac, realized that I hadn't logged into Xamarin for a massively long time (if ever for VS2017, probably not ever), and tried to log in.

I think this is a separate unrelated issue.

On the Mac, I think I'm actually not able to log in remotely for some reason?

Oh, you should not have to sign in to your Xamarin account in VS Windows, just your MSDN account should be fine (which is different than your MSDN account, though could possibly use the same email address).

edited August 2017

@JGoldberger - I installed VS for Mac on a test partition. I didn't have to log in or activate anything on the Mac. I could connect using VS 2017 on Win7. So, you were correct, there's some 'magic' that VS Mac installs that is necessary, at least initially (but it didn't have anything to do with that Unhandled Activation dialog on Win7).

BTW - VS Mac is very aggressive about downloading. I moved to my Win7 box for a few minutes, and when I came back it was downloading 10.12.0.20. How do I stop VS Mac from downloading anything - and where on the Mac is it downloading? I guess I'll have to see if, without every running VS Mac (just installing it), if the 'magic' extra stuff gets installed properly.

I might actually keep it, but ... I really need to know how to rein it in as far as downloading on it's own?

I wouldn't mind having it check for the IOS alpha and download that, but ... I'd like options to limit it to Just that if I wanted to?

And I just got (after a bit of a delay), your message that I don't need to worry about the Unhandled Activation when trying to log in with my Xamarin account on Win7 VS 2017.

Thanks for hanging in there with me with trying to do something that I guess is unusual!!!