Xamarin Installer Says Visual Studio Not Installed

I'm just so confused. Am I supposed to use Visual Studio with Xamarin? Or am I supposed to download and install this Xamarin downloader separately? I try doing that and it says that Visual Studio is not detected, if I install it later I'll have to re-run the downloader. I'm trying to use this live player with Visual Studio and I can get the phone to connect, if I try to run code it says preparing code to run but then Visual Studio stops saying the debugger can't be reached or something like that, debugger can't be connected. I'm using the tutorial given from Xamarin which says to use the new Visual Studio preview version from this link here https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/cross-platform/live/install/

What am I not understanding?

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Hi Daniel, sorry to see that's giving you trouble. Are you using Visual Studio 2017 Preview on Windows or Visual Studio for Mac? In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a troubleshooting guide here that might be helpful. Could you please provide the exact text of the message you're seeing? I'd also be interested to know which of the samples is being tested if you happen to be using one of those. We'll plan our next steps from there. Thanks!