VS 15.3: Dynamic keyword throws PlatformNotSupportedException - Workaround?

Yesterday I happily updated to Visual Studio 15.3. After launching my Android app it crashed with a PlatformNotSupportedException at a line which is using the dynamic keyword.

Searching the bugreports I found this:
https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=58625 "Android Dynamic Type Platform not supported exception"
It says "Version: 7.5 (15.4)" which reads to me "wait for 15.4 release".

Since yesterday I try to work around this breaking change but failed.

Is there any workaround known (installing a lower version (HOW?),...), as this bug was created a week ago?

The only workaround I found is: Installing 15.2 and NOT try to update (which is hard, as the version I have had the other serious "obj/XYZ.dll is locked"-bug sigh...)

Best Answer

Answers

• kspearrinkspearrin USMember ✭✭

I am also experiencing this now that I am on VS 15.3

• @DavidOrtinau
    Is this issue on your radar? When can we expect an update fixing this?

• DavidOrtinauDavidOrtinau USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Insider, University Xamurai

It's on my radar now! :smile:

Looks like this is an Android issue to be resolved there, so I've pinged @CodyB to investigate.

• CodyBCodyB USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hey everyone! I am discussing this issue with the rest of the Android team at this time. I have confirmed that it is fixed within the 15.4 branch. Whether or not this is an issue we can get resolved on 15.3 remains to be seen.

I am looking into the options for everyone impacted, and I will update this thread with information as available.

• VeYroNVeYroN PTMember ✭✭

Well, this is not an android issue. It also happens on iOS...

Is there any workaround?

Thanks!

@VeYroN The root of the issue is in Mono, so it appears to impact each platform. Still researching our options here :)

edited August 2017

@CodyB So, for now maybe we should downgrade de mono version?

edited August 2017

So, it does not work...

Could not launch Visual Studio
    This application requires a newer version (5.2.0.138+) of the Mono framework.
    Please download and install the latest version of Mono.

Any way to download the previous version os VS (compatible with mono v5.0.1.1)?

• @ClintStLaurent I just tried it again - and it worked!

My setup:
    Visual Studio 15.2 (Xamarin.VisualStudio 4.5.0.486)
    Device: Android 6
    Wifi enabled (important!)

@VeYroN seems like you are on macOS, is that correct?

@CodyB yes :)
    @CodyB any updates on this?

So, for everyone in here, what I did to keep working was go to my backups, restore the old version of visual studio (v. 7.0) download xamarin.ios 10.10.0.36 and xamarin.android 7.3.1...

• @DavidOrtinau
    I think Xamarin should provide the links to the vsix-Setup-Files required to install a previous version of the needed Visual Studio extensions.

On https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads you can only download setup files for VS 2013/2015, which are not helpful. I had to search google for a specific release and luckily found one in a error report(!) of the setup posted on the internet.

https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads should be updated to point to the required VS 2017 extension files.

Related:
    Microsoft should also provide a way to download a specific VS 2017 version including all dependencies at a given time. As I said, fortunately I had an old offline image of 15.2, but with a buggy Xamarin.VisualStudio.vsix version.
    For rollback-scenarios the lack of that is utterly painful.

• JamesCroftJamesCroft GBMember

Just saw this issue appear after updating VS. First thought was to come here to see if there was a similar issue being seen.

Hope there is a fix for this very soon.

For Mac users, you can download the previous versions from https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads as a means of downgrading.

I am looking into what options we have for Windows users.

Thanks!

• RSHRSH USUniversity ✭✭

I am having this problem too on iOS and Android :(. Oh the time I spent thinking it was my code...

• @CodyB Thanks
  • RSHRSH USUniversity ✭✭

Also now on iOS if I have my build set to Link SDK, it fails on the build and spits this out:
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\MSBuild\Xamarin\iOS\Xamarin.iOS.Common.targets(748,3): error : Unexpected error - Please file a bug report at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com
    1> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    1> at MonoTouch.Tuner.Linker.Process (MonoTouch.Tuner.LinkerOptions options, MonoTouch.Tuner.MonoTouchLinkContext& context, System.Collections.Generic.List1[Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition]& assemblies) [0x00145] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/Tuning.cs:94 1> at Xamarin.Bundler.Target.LinkAssemblies (System.Collections.Generic.List1[Mono.Cecil.AssemblyDefinition]& assemblies, System.String output_dir, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable1[T] sharedCodeTargets) [0x0029a] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/Target.cs:491 1> at Xamarin.Bundler.Target.ManagedLink () [0x005c5] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/Target.cs:614 1> at Xamarin.Bundler.Target.ProcessAssemblies () [0x000bb] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/Target.cs:800 1> at Xamarin.Bundler.Application.ProcessAssemblies () [0x0002f] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/Application.cs:1396 1> at Xamarin.Bundler.Application.BuildManaged () [0x00001] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/Application.cs:827 1> at Xamarin.Bundler.Application+<>c.<BuildAll>b__134_1 (Xamarin.Bundler.Application v) [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/Application.cs:775 1> at System.Collections.Generic.List1[T].ForEach (System.Action`1[T] action) [0x00024] in :0
    1> at Xamarin.Bundler.Application.BuildAll () [0x00050] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/Application.cs:775
    1> at Xamarin.Bundler.Driver.Main2 (System.String[] args) [0x00481] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/mtouch.cs:1420
    1> at Xamarin.Bundler.Driver.Main (System.String[] args) [0x0000f] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/4991/4a279c9a/source/xamarin-macios/tools/mtouch/mtouch.cs:945

Hey friends! We are working on a fix option for this issue. I will update when I have more information :smile:

• T-PT-P USMember ✭✭

Could this issue be related to the one discussed here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45753852/ef-core-queries-throw-exceptions-since-vs2017-15-3 ?
    A quick fix would be really appreciated, the problem is blocking ongoing development

• MD5590MD5590 USMember ✭✭

Same here.
    What to do now (Windows)? Uninstall and reinstall older Version of VS?

• MarkoLazicMarkoLazic USMember ✭✭

Same here. Using dynamic keyword in Xamarin Forms PCL project throws PlatformNotSupportedException exception in runtime. Verified on Android platform.
    It started happening after updating to Visual Studio 15.3.

The only solution i found until now is reinstall an older version of visual studio...

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that a Service Release intended to fix this issue is slated to be released shortly. I will update this thread again when the update is released.

Thanks!

• @CodyB Thanks! This update fixes this problem!

PS: After the setup I had a load of error alerts when opening a solution each one saying another package failed to load. All projects were unloaded, but another trip to Visual Studio Installer fixed it. Maybe because I had installed 2017 various times before...

edited August 2017

@CodyB, @David.Rettenbacher Where can we get that Service Release?

• @VeYroN Just run the VS Installer and hit Update.

@David.Rettenbacher thanks! From the stable channel?

• David.RettenbacherDavid.Rettenbacher ATMember ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    @VeYroN Yes, stable channel

Ok @David.Rettenbacher thanks!

• MarkoLazicMarkoLazic USMember ✭✭

I confirm that update to Visual Studio 15.3.2 fixes the issue.

Working!