Updating application context crashes watchOS release build

FedorSulaevFedorSulaev RUMember ✭✭

Hi
I'm using application context for communicating between watch and iOS app (code from this example: https://developer.xamarin.com/samples/monotouch/watchOS/WatchConnectivity/), it works perfectly on emulators, after some fiddling it works on real devices when deploying debug build but release build consistently crashes when the watch app receives updated context from iOS app.

Have you ever encountered this issue?
If you have published apps with watchOS support what did you use for communication with the main app?

• DuvsoftDuvsoft USMember ✭✭
    Hi Fedor,

Have you figured out a cause or a solution for this issue? I am experiencing the same issue as my watch app works perfect in debug mode on the simulator and on my real device. However, when I try to test my app through Test Flight in release mode, the Watch crashes once it tries to communicate with the parent app. I've been stuck on this for a week now.

Thanks,
  • FedorSulaevFedorSulaev RUMember ✭✭

I found it yesterday, the reason was this DidReceiveApplicationContext method in WCSessionManager, conversion from NSDictionary to Dictionary was causing a crash in release build. I removed it and pass NSDictionary directly now, that works fine in release.
    This was really frustrating issue to deal with, I was in contact with Microsoft developers and they requested crash logs but I couldn't provide any, looked like OS just shuts down application without registering a crash, very weird.

• SebastianKruseSebastianKruse USMember ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017

@FedorSulaev I encountered the same problem on TestFlight but it works in the AppStore release version of my app with the convert from NSDictionary to Dictionary.

• FedorSulaevFedorSulaev RUMember ✭✭

I checked app store build published earlier and it also crashes.

• DuvsoftDuvsoft USMember ✭✭
    Has anyone figured out a solution for this yet? I release my app yesterday thinking maybe it would work in production, but it did not work. The watch just crashes when it tries to receive data from the app.