Forum General
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

What is the best BaaS for a solo Novice-Intermediate programmer making a social/dating app

JohnButlerJohnButler USMember ✭✭

I will give you a little background on my experience and the app to help paint a better picture of what I need out of the BaaS, and then tell you what choices I have narrowed it down to.

Me:
I am a pretty novice-intermediate programmer, and the entire app will be developed by me. I have developed and released a 2 mobile games, and started work on a Console/PC game using Unity. But I am self taught and have very minimal App coding experience. And I just started with Xamarin a month ago.

App/Web service:
The App/Web service would have to have similar functionality of an App/Web service like Eharmony. So it should be both a Mobile App (Android/iOS) and a Website. It should contain user data and then display a "feed" of other users based on certain criteria. So database storage that allows some algorithms to be run on it for sorting. I also would need secure login functionality. I would also need advertizing support. And would prefer to use AdMob, because I have some previous experience.

My Research:
From my findings I am thinking of going with Azure or Firebase.
AWS seems like it would be to complicated to set up for me to use, and sort of more power than I need or want, right now.
If I disregard compatibility I would want to go with Firebase as it just seems like it would be a better fit for me, and I love the Google ecosystem! If I am able to use Google sheets to do the filtering and what not that would be a big plus cause I have a lot of experience "coding" with Google Sheets. I also like the "live" updating that Firebase has, I don't need it but I would like the option cause I could create a messaging system inside the app/web service
But from what I have been reading the compatibility of Firebase and Xamarin is not very good. I am looking to make this as painless as possible, and I think Azure would be the easiest to implement.
I have heard of a few other BaaS and Kinvey also seemed like a good one, but I am weary because it's a smaller company/community and I don't want it to shut down like Parse.

Sorry for typing so much but I wanted to paint a decent picture of my situation. Thanks!

Best Answer

• JohnButlerJohnButler USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Another option, Ahhhh. Hahaha thanks for the info, I will definitely look into Kumulos

Answers

• bobLawsonbobLawson GBMember ✭✭

Hi there,
    I'd recommend you check out Kumulos. We use it at Waracle and it works pretty well for us. Currently we have about 40 apps on the platform.
    I reckon you could use their php sdk to share content from the web into the app.
    It comes with an mBaaS, notifications, analytics, ASO and is rumored to be launching a crash mngt feature in the Fall.
    The support guy I just spoke to also said that they will have a new Xamarin and Unity SDK out this month.
    Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it helps and good luck with your app.
    Bob

• JohnButlerJohnButler USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Another option, Ahhhh. Hahaha thanks for the info, I will definitely look into Kumulos