Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin

Multiple size screens

Hello!

I'm a little confusing about the layout screens.
I've already see some tutorials, but only for Android projects. I need to do for Android and IOS, for small, normal and large sizes.
It is possible to do multiple layouts for adjust the size of the things?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not a path you want to go down unless you have some very very specific reason for it.

99% of mobile apps adjust themselves. Everything is relative. We don't assign fixed sizes to things. The devices scale up most things automatically - For example, a 14pt text will be bigger on a 8" phone than a 6" phone.

If your columns are relative sizes then they continue to be relative sizes regardless of the screen resolution.

But if you start micromanaging the screen its a world of hurt. Hundreds of devices, lots of variations on screen ratio and pixel density.

At most you worry about: Phone versus Tablet layout. And portrait versus landscape orientation. That's already 4 layouts per screen to deal with. You don't want even that much if you can avoid it, but some screen you must.

• @ClintStLaurent said:
    That's not a path you want to go down unless you have some very very specific reason for it.

99% of mobile apps adjust themselves. Everything is relative. We don't assign fixed sizes to things. The devices scale up most things automatically - For example, a 14pt text will be bigger on a 8" phone than a 6" phone.

If your columns are relative sizes then they continue to be relative sizes regardless of the screen resolution.

But if you start micromanaging the screen its a world of hurt. Hundreds of devices, lots of variations on screen ratio and pixel density.

At most you worry about: Phone versus Tablet layout. And portrait versus landscape orientation. That's already 4 layouts per screen to deal with. You don't want even that much if you can avoid it, but some screen you must.

Hello @ClintStLaurent

My problem is phone vs. tablet. For you understanding my problem, in the phone (portrait), i can put 1 button in row (for example) but in the tablet (portrait) i can put 2 buttons at the same row and they do not stay so close, the screen is much bigger to work the layout.
    Because of this, i need to know if its possible work with multiple layouts.