PrepareForSegue is not called

trying to get a tableviewcontroller working in Visual Studio 2017 but the PrepareForSegue is never called. my tableviewcontroller represents a list of machines and want to seque to machine detail. my

I have tried creating the seque between the tableviewcontroller and the detailview and the cell in the tableviewcontroller and detailview but neither works.
my tableviewcell has a basic style {tried custom and no luck either)

key part in my tableviewcontroller looks like

public override void ViewDidLoad()
{
base.ViewDidLoad();

List<Machine> listallMachines = service.GetAllMachines();
        TableView.Source = new machinesDataSource(listallMachines, this);
        this.NavigationItem.Title = "Machines";
    }

public override void PrepareForSegue(UIStoryboardSegue segue, NSObject sender)
    {
        base.PrepareForSegue(segue, sender);

if (segue.Identifier == "MachineDetailSeque")
        {
            var machineController = segue.DestinationViewController as MachineDetailController;
            if (machineController != null)
            {
                var source = TableView.Source as machinesDataSource;
                var rowPath = TableView.IndexPathForSelectedRow;
                var item = source.GetItem(rowPath.Row);
                machineController.SelectedMachine = item;
            }
        }
    }

and my data source:
public override UITableViewCell GetCell(UITableView tableView, NSIndexPath indexPath)
{
UITableViewCell cell = tableView.DequeueReusableCell(cellId) as UITableViewCell;
if (cell == null)
{
cell = new UITableViewCell(UITableViewCellStyle.Default, cellId);
}
Machine machine = machines[indexPath.Row];
cell.TextLabel.Text = machine.Name;
cell.ImageView.Image = UIImage.FromFile("Images/" + machine.Name + ".jpg");
return cell;
}
my list appears but when I click on a row my breakpoint on PrepareForSegue is never called.
it is amazing to me that this process is tied to design tools as I long time .Net dev this seems weak. There must be a clean programatic way to do this.
I can get the seque to occur by overriding the RowSelected in my datasource and manually doing the seque. This works as i navigate to the detailview but
the PrepareForSegue is not called. I prefer this method as do not like relying on design tools but need a clean way to pass the data. of course I can hack a solution but do not want to

Best Answer

Answers

• tuyenvtuyenv VNUniversity ✭✭✭

How do you do manually the segue?

• johnmcfetridge.4012johnmcfetridge.4012 USMember ✭✭

I captured the caller's controller in my datasource constructor:

public machinesDataSource(List machines, UITableViewController caller)
    {
    this._controller = caller as machineController;

this.machines = machines;
        }

then overrode

public override void RowSelected(UITableView tableView, NSIndexPath indexPath)
    {

_controller.PerformSegue("mySeque", _controller);
        }

as i said the navigation occurred but the onPrepareSegue was not called (breakpoint there). sure I can hack it but not my goal

thanks Minafawzy but no that is the id that I gave the Seque in the designer. Anyways using RowSelected override in the DataSource was an attempt to get by the real problem that I described in the top part. I should not need the RowSelected and PerformSeque . Now it is good to know this method should work but I found the REAL ISSUE.

my tableview cell has a custom type and the identifier did not match the id I assigned in the datasource

NSString cellId = new NSString("machine");

public machinesDataSource(List<Machine> machines, UITableViewController caller)
        { 

this.machines = machines;
        }

public override UITableViewCell GetCell(UITableView tableView, NSIndexPath indexPath)
        {
            UITableViewCell cell = tableView.DequeueReusableCell(cellId) as UITableViewCell;
            if (cell == null)
            {
                cell = new UITableViewCell(UITableViewCellStyle.Default, cellId);
            }

I had noticed this earlier and must have accidentally removed the identifier. Not thrilled by whole IOS approach that is so tied to design tools. missing my XAML or AXML

Accepted Answer

I just posted a series of 3 videos on Youtube on TableViews and Navigation. The source is also on Github. Pretty rough as mostly for my use to refer to later as I find this a great way to refresh my memory in not just code but sports.

getting started using a Tableview object
    https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=mybBEd20DaY

using Tableview with shared PCL
    https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=UOmGLRQtlTk

add navigation and detail view
    https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=i-wRDpEgNVk

Hope these help someone