Visual Studio 2017, Team Foundation Server, and Xamarin iOS Asset Catalogs issues

Hayden_HancockHayden_Hancock USMember ✭✭

We are experiencing some major issues with Visual Studio 2017 and the Xamarin iOS Asset Catalogs. We are simply trying to add our application icons to the Asset Catalog. We were able to finally check the Media.xcassets folder into source. However, when a new developer get's latest there are a ton of issues. The main issue seems to be that the Asset Catalogs > Media file cannot be opened anymore. I am not sure what's going on but this is a huge issue if the developers on my team don't have the same source to work from.

Has anyone else experienced these issues?

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2017
Version 15.2 (26430.6) Release
VisualStudio.15.Release/15.2.0+26430.6
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.6.01586

• prashantvcprashantvc USXamarin Team Xamurai

The main issue seems to be that the Asset Catalogs > Media file cannot be opened anymore

Can you check the write permission on these files? Are you using on premise TFS? Is your code on the VSTS?

However, when a new developer get's latest there are a ton of issues.

Could you be more specific about theses issues? It will help us to track these issues and improve TFS experience with Xamarin toolkit

• Hayden_HancockHayden_Hancock USMember ✭✭
    edited July 2017

@prashantvc said:

The main issue seems to be that the Asset Catalogs > Media file cannot be opened anymore

Can you check the write permission on these files? Are you using on premise TFS? Is your code on the VSTS?

However, when a new developer get's latest there are a ton of issues.

The write permissions are fine. I am able to edit the file prior to checking into TFS. Once I check it in to TFS, I, along with all team members are not able to edit the file. We are using on premise TFS.

Could you be more specific about theses issues? It will help us to track these issues and improve TFS experience with Xamarin toolkit

Here is what I've done:

1. Right-click my iOS project, select Properties.
    2. Click iOS Manifest.
    3. Click "We now have a dedicated manifest editor you can open directly by double-clicking you Info.plist file. Click here to open it."
    4. Select the Visual Assets tab.
    5. Click the Use Asset Catalog button.
    6. From Solution Explorer, expand Asset Catalogs and double-click Media.
    7. Select AppIcons.
    8. Upload application icons (just for the record, if you are using the Visual Studio Dark theme, this page looks like crap, you can't even read the text which completely fails accessibility).
    9. Check-in changes (assets not included in pending changings?).

In order to get the files into TFS I have to do the following (as they aren't included by default):

1. From Solution Explorer, click Show All Files.
    2. Right-click Media,xcassets, click "Include in project."
    3. Check in pending changes.

Great! Now it appears all assets are included in TFS. Another developer will get latest and unfortunately, the Asset Catalog subsequently breaks. The Media file found under the Asset Catalog is no longer able to be edited.

@Hayden_Hancock thanks for the details. This sounds like a bug to me (and so is dark theme breaking accessibility)
    I will do a quick test on the VS preview version and file a bug for it.

I have filed a bug for labels being barely visible when using dark theme. You can find the bug report here, please add yourself to CC list to get the updates

However, I am not able to reproduce the main issue with TSF, the images show up in the pending changes when added to the Asset catalog, and works as expected when I get the latest on a different test machine.
    (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/psugne2zk8qe0sa/ImagesTFS.png?dl=0)

Is it possible to share the logs from Visual Studio and output text for source control from Output window

@prashantvc I'll add the logs once I get back to this. Unfortunately, when I check "pending changings" my files are not there. Are you using the same version of Visual Studio 2017? Are you using the Preview version?

edited July 2017

I recommend filing a bug at https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/newbug, with steps from your previous reply and logs (when you get them). It will be easier to track, and I can get QA to investigate it further

Are you using the Preview version?

I tested this with VS Enterprise 2017 Version 15.2 (26430.16) the current stable release

One thing that should probably be mentioned is that we originally created the project in Visual Studio 2015, therefore, the Xamarin project file might be a little different than a template in Visual Studio 2017.