iCloud Implementation in xamarin iOS Application

RameshPRameshP USUniversity ✭✭

I came across one requirement which is user will get the email attachment files(types .CSV, .XLS, .XLSX) through gmail in his iPhone , he wants to display whatever files he downloaded from the email need to show in his app(client application) as collection View . on selection of collection cell he wants to send that file to server. Here my confusion is user can goto iCloud Finder and select file and come back to application and that file he can send to server as NSData,But requirement is without navigating to iCloud external finder from app, the app should fetch all email attachment files to application. is this requirement is possible using CloudKit? or is this approach is totally wrong ? i'm new to iCloud please guid me guys .

Thank you

Best Answer

• rene_ruppertrene_ruppert DE Xamurai
    Accepted Answer

If you have multiple apps made by you, they can share files. But this does not work across apps from different vendors.

Answers

• rene_ruppertrene_ruppert DEXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

I don't understand what you mean "going to iCloud Finder".

All files stored by apps are sandboxed and can only be accessed by the app owning them. This means you cannot get the downloaded attachments of the Mail app (or Google app) unless they are stored in a central place (iCloud for instance).

What you can do: register your app for all file types and allow users to open it. Then they can long press any attachment and open it in your app. You can read about it here: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1587/_index.html

To get access to files of other apps, you might want to have a look at UIDocumentPickerViewController (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uidocumentpickerviewcontroller). I do not have any samples ready at hand but maybe this helps you to continue with your investigations.

• RameshPRameshP USUniversity ✭✭
    Going to icloud ...I meant to say on button click in app one popver saying open icloud to brows the files in iPhone icloud app

UIDocumentPickerViewController is the way to go. It allows you to select files. You cannot access these files without going through that controller.

• RameshPRameshP USUniversity ✭✭
    Rene , but we r using cloud kit and using apple account we create bundle identifier and icloud container ,so is there a concept like if we add some files to icloud of that apple account ,any app using that container identifier internally can list all those icloud files ? Coz all over certificate's ,provisioning profiles and containers associated with that apple account?
    Accepted Answer

If you have multiple apps made by you, they can share files. But this does not work across apps from different vendors.