Universal Storyboard different on iPhone vs iPad?

EricTheriaultEricTheriault USMember ✭✭

Hi--

I have a weird issue. I have a storyboard with maybe 10 screens. It looks great on iPhone. 8 of the screens look great on iPad; but the other 2 don't show anything within the views.

The basic screen layout looks like this:

• Scrollbar
    • View with grey background
      • View with white background
      • stuff here
      • stuff here

I've used this pattern on 3 of the screens, however, only 2 of the screens don't show the "stuff here" content on iPad. I can reproduce this issue in Xamarin's story board editor, but not Xcode. I've poked around and I don't see anything specific between the one that works and the one's that don't. Any insight thoughts on what it could be or what I should look for? Thanks.

Eric

Best Answers

• EricTheriaultEricTheriault US ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Thanks for all of the hints!

Not sure what the word is for this, however, the last two things in this dialog:

If I click the "-" and then check the wAny-hAny, it works again.

I'm guessing this is what Josh was perhaps hinting at? Anyhow, glad its working again.

Eric

Answers

• TedRogersTedRogers USMember ✭✭✭✭

@EricTheriault can you post a project that demonstrates the problem?

• EricTheriaultEricTheriault USMember ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Thanks for all of the hints!

Not sure what the word is for this, however, the last two things in this dialog:

If I click the "-" and then check the wAny-hAny, it works again.

I'm guessing this is what Josh was perhaps hinting at? Anyhow, glad its working again.

Eric

• jpersonjperson USMember

@EricTheriault
    You can choose to have something available based on size classes as well.

For instance, say you wanted to show a sidebar nav on iPad but not on iPhones. You could easily do this by having it "installed" based on size class (like in your picture). You would choose to have it "installed" for "wRhR" and unchecked for all others. This would show it (as it is installed at that size class) on the iPad but not on iPhones.

The same can be done for lots of other elements...just look for things that have the "+" button next to them.

Check this out for more info: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AutolayoutPG/Size-ClassSpecificLayout.html