Xamarin University Certification 2016

MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai
edited June 2016 in Xamarin University

Hello Everyone,

Several people have asked recently about Year 2 re-certification requirements. Rest assured, we are working on getting those together and we will make sure that everyone who wants to maintain certification will have plenty of time to fulfill the requirements and take the test before your current certification runs out. I hope to have them published this coming week, so watch this thread and the certification page.

I would like to mention a couple of changes in the existing exams however. First, the core certification exam (if you are not currently certified) has dropped three required classes from the list.

IOS210 - Backgrounding in iOS
AND210 - Backgrounding in Android
XAM370 - Memory and Performance

That means there are only 15 required courses which you must take in order to qualify for the certification exam. There are no questions pulled in when we generate an exam from these three topics.

IOS210 and AND210 are also included in the re-certification exam (1st year). This was because they were completely refreshed between the two exams and so we wanted to make sure people took the updated course - even if they'd already taken the original one. These will stay in the year 1 re-certification exam.

The re-certification (Year 1) exam is changing slightly as well. First, we are pulling XTC101 - Introduction to Unit Testing from the required list of classes. A lot of people have said they know this topic already and prefer to not have it be required. Keep in mind that it is still a pre-requisite to XTC102 which is on the exam so if you aren't familiar with unit testing, it would be a good class to either take or watch prior to taking that class. However there won't be any questions pulled from this class when you go for the 1st year recertification. Second, we are reducing the # of questions for this exam to 100 instead of 150. We'd like to reduce the effort required to maintain certification, while not lowering the quality/standards and feel like this is a good balance.

I'm planning on having the Year 2 re-certification requirements published this next week - the goal is to get it down to just a few required classes and a few optional ones which you can either take live, watch the video, or just review the materials on your own if you feel you know the topic. More details on that shortly. One of those courses will be XAM370 so it will continue to be part of certification, just a bit further down the road. The reasoning behind this is simply because it was rewritten this past week to focus on a fairly deep dive of memory diagnosis with Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android and so we wanted to push it out to when developers have had a bit of experience with Xamarin before putting it onto an exam. Keep in mind that you can take any classes and you will get credit for them even for future exams!

As always, thanks for being a Xamarin University subscriber and if you have any questions, feel free to comment here!

Mark Smith
Xamarin University

• ArifImranArifImran USUniversity
    edited June 2016

Hi Mark,
    I just noticed the number of required classes in order to attempt the certification exam is 14 not 15 as mentioned in your post.

AND 102 is also not mandatory now.

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai
    edited June 2016

Ah, it should be :) That's a mistake. Thanks for letting me know!

It looks like it's AND102. I'm not sure how it dropped off - I'll make sure it gets added back in, I'm sure it was my fault in updating the database which tracks that. Ugh. I hate databases! Sorry all!

Mark

• ArifImranArifImran USUniversity

Thanks Marks, AND 102 is back up in the list. :)

• jnicolaujnicolau IEMember, University

Where can I check the scheduled dates for the Xamarin certification. It's first time for me. I don't know where to enrol.

• RobGibbens.8149RobGibbens.8149 USMember, Beta, University, Developer Group Leader

@jnicolau When you complete all of the required certification classes, you will automatically be emailed instructions for taking the Exam. We can then take it whenever is convenient for you.

• MarkSmith.8123MarkSmith.8123 USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai
    edited June 2016

Hi @jnicolau --

There's no specific dates. Once you have completed the required coursework, you will get an email indicating that you are eligible to take the exam. It has a link there or you can go to the main university page and a button will be active there to begin the exam. You can start it whenever you are ready, and once you do begin you have 3 hours to finish so make sure you are prepared before that!

Here are some more details on the process and the topics: https://university.xamarin.com/resources/certification

Let me know if you have any other questions!
    Mark Smith
    Xamarin University

• KevinFordKevinFord USUniversity, Certified XTC Partners ✭✭✭

@MarkSmith.8123,
    Any news on the re-certification re-recertification requirements? :) My current re-certification runs out August 21.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

We are still working out some details this week, soon .. :)

We'll make sure to work with each subscriber to ensure you have adequate time to complete the requirements.

Thanks,
    Mark

@MarkSmith.8123 said:
    Hi Kevin,

We are still working out some details this week, soon .. :)

We'll make sure to work with each subscriber to ensure you have adequate time to complete the requirements.

Thanks,
    Mark

@MarkSmith.8123 Any word on this. I just got an email that my certification is about to expire but it doesn't look like I can do anything about it by re-certifying again.

No worries @KevinFord -- we will be extending certifications to ensure you have time. We are working on the announcement now, but it's required some back-end changes to implement our moving-forward approach so that has slowed us down a bit. Stay tuned!

mark

Blog post about certification changes should go out today @KevinFord. I think you'll be very happy with the new program. Everything will go into effect on October 15th and we'll make sure those of you who are maintaining certification will be extended until the new program takes effect (assuming your subscription is still active).

I'll link the blog post here when it goes live!

@MarkSmith.8123 said:
    Blog post about certification changes should go out today @KevinFord. I think you'll be very happy with the new program. Everything will go into effect on October 15th and we'll make sure those of you who are maintaining certification will be extended until the new program takes effect (assuming your subscription is still active).

I'll link the blog post here when it goes live!

Thanks Mark!

edited August 2016

And it's up!

https://blog.xamarin.com/xamarin-developer-certification-is-getting-better/

TL;DR --

Starting October 15, 2016:

1st year requirements are shifting to teach more Xamarin.Forms - previously we only had a single course. Now it's split about 60/40 There are 15 core classes (6 which focus on native APIs and 9 which focus on Xamarin.Forms) which must be taken live or through the self-guided system. Same testing process except we'll have a mandatory 1:1 check-in with an instructor to help prepare students for the exam process around the 3/4 point. Here's the new requirements.

To maintain certification you will need to keep your subscription active and take any new or updated courses on the 1st year requirement list which you missed. You need to have credit for six (6) classes during the certification year (that number will include any mandatory core requirements). No re-certification test required and you get to choose your field of study from an ever-expanding catalog of classes.

As mentioned earlier, we'll be extending certifications for those of you who were about to expire if you don't currently have the class credits; you'll have a couple of months to get them.

We hope these changes will help each of you to keep your valued certification status, and keep learning new things from Xamarin University without being forced to take topics unrelated to your active projects.

Thanks for being a Xamarin University subscriber -- questions are welcome!
    Mark Smith
    Xamarin University

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

There are 15 core classes (6 which focus on native APIs and 9 which focus on Xamarin.Forms) which must be taken live or through the self-guided system.

So does this mean you can pass without attending live courses? Great for those odd courses that are not available at a suitable time, but could that lead to people not watching the self guided videos and getting certified by googling each question?

Good question @JimBennett --

Not completely, no. The SGL system only has eight of the classes in it today. So, even if you took the assessment test to skip the first group, did as much self-guided as possible, you still have to finish up with live class work for the final set of videos (the 300-level set)

Only the 100-level classes could be done on your own today.

• deesniderdeesnider USUniversity ✭✭
    edited October 2016

Hi I passed the certification test last week and submitted a request to join the LinkedIn group. Still pending. Could one of the admins approve it? Thanks.

UPDATE: this was approved. Thx.

• MarcoTronconeMarcoTroncone GBUniversity ✭✭

I just renewed my subscription and I've discovered that I have to attend 8 courses on Xamarin forms to renew my certification). I bookend all the required courses and I hope to follow everyone of them but what happens if I'm not able to do that? There are not many courses suitable for my timezone, so if I miss one I'm not sure I can re-follow it by the 8th of december.
    Do I lose my certification?

Another question. when I go on the university main Page I see this:

RE-CERTIFICATION
    0 of 8 COMPLETED - Finish all 8 by December 12th, 2016 to keep your certification up to date

but under the Tracks I see for example Android 6 of 10 completed. Do I have to complete also these one?

Thank you

• DianeLeeDianeLee USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

@MarcoTroncone you can complete the 8 required classes even after December 12, 2016 and your certification will renew. You will not have to retake all the classes again if you do not complete the classes in time.

As for the example, Android 6 of 10 completed, you do not need to complete those classes. That is just an indicator to let you know how many Android classes you've taken but you are not required to take all of them to maintain certification.

Hope that helps!

• rseostarrseostar USUniversity ✭✭
    edited December 2016

So my company just switched over to using their MSDN benefit licenses. The main account that was used to purchase several licenses as well as my university subscription was not renewed as we now have the licenses through MSDN. Problem is that my university subscription got deactivated in the process before I could take the test. My subscription was set to expire already, but it had been extended until the middle of December, but now it says I need to upgrade my subscription.

I wanted to take the test after it had been updated with a focus more on Forms, but a good month of time has been spent just getting the 1-on-1 step completed and waiting for support to manually clear the step off of my checklist. I really would like to finish this asap as I have been ready to take the test for at least a month.

My subscription was due to expire at the end of November, but after the test update my account showed that it was extended until Jan 16 (which is inline with Marks post above "As mentioned earlier, we'll be extending certifications for those of you who were about to expire if you don't currently have the class credits; you'll have a couple of months to get them.") Then in November it dropped down to Dec 16th, and obviously now it's expired, so I don't know what to make of that part.

Can someone help me out??

Please and thanks!!

Hi @rseostar --

We'll email you and get it all sorted out. Definitely want to give you the chance to finish!

Mark Smith
    Xamarin University

@MarkSmith.8123
    Thanks a million for the lightning fast response and resolution!!! Wish me luck!

-Robert

• AlexandravanBAlexandravanB USUniversity

I followed all the required courses for re-certification and on the home page it tells me
    RE-CERTIFICATION

9 of 9 COMPLETED - Certification up to date!
    But in https://university.xamarin.com/profile/certifications my certification is expired the 7th of january

Hi @AlexandravanB --

Let us check into it and get back to you.

Thanks!
    Mark Smith
    Xamarin University

• AdamDunnAdamDunn USXamarin Team, University, XamUProfessors Xamurai

Hi Alexandra,

Sorry about that! It looks like there was a glitch in renewing your certification. This is now fixed... Please let me know if you have any questions!

-Adam

• AlexandravanBAlexandravanB USUniversity

@AdamDunn Thanks, it's fixed.

• anandjitbanerjee.5636anandjitbanerjee.5636 USUniversity ✭✭

I got certified on 31st January 2017.Based on mail communication I was supposed to get Glass Plaque but till date I did not receive any information.I have mailed to training@xamarin.com but did not receive any reply.

Hi @anandjitbanerjee.5636 --

The plaques are built sent out on a periodic basis as a group to save shipping/creation costs. I think the order was just placed a week or two ago so you should see it soon.

Mark Smith
    Xamarin University

• Steve_hawkinsSteve_hawkins GBUniversity ✭✭

What happens if you don't get 80% on the exam and fail the exam. Is there a minimum period you need to wait before a re-take?

@Steve_hawkins You get to try up to 3 times.

This discussion has been closed.