HockeyApp-Integration for Xamarin.Forms available?

Hi together,

does any tutorial for integrating a Xamarin.Forms App with HockeyApp exist?

Thanks, Sascha

Answers

• DiegoBonuraDiegoBonura USMember

Same question here!

• BjornBBjornB USMember ✭✭✭

Same here, why is this thread set to answered btw?

• I don't think there's any integration at this point. I've just run into this myself (with Preseason), but here's my thinking:

HockeyApp Preseason does have a nuget package, but when I tried to install it into my PCL, I got the following error:

Could not install package 'HockeySDK.Xamarin 4.1.0-alpha2'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets '.NETPortable,Version=v4.5,Profile=Profile111', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the package author.

Now that Microsoft owns Xamarin, and the Insights team is getting rolled into the HockeyApp group, I think we'll eventually get full Forms integration. For now, I'm going to go the Dependency Service route.

Of course, it's always possible I've missed something, so if anybody has better info...

• ChaseFlorellChaseFlorell CAInsider, University mod

Nothing "automated" AFAIK, but we do upload manually without issue.

• aizefleraizefler BRUniversity ✭✭

@DavidSmith.5030,
    I'm doing the Hockeyapps settings with Xamarin forms . You have some sample code to provide this integration with Dependency Service? Thank you.

• AdrianKnightAdrianKnight USMember ✭✭✭✭

+1

• RaymondKellyRaymondKelly USMember ✭✭✭

Any updates here. I just tried installing HockeySDK.Xamain and get the same error as @DavidSmith.5030

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod
    edited April 2016

I went down the DependencyService route. It worked when I added it, but the functionality when I did it wasn't as good as Xamarin.Insights (which I already had integrated). As HockeyApp and Xamarin.Insights are being merged, I haven't been in a hurry to spend more time on it. The functionality may have improved since, but I haven't checked back yet. However, I would assume that unless it has already changed dramatically, it is still necessary to use a DependencyService.

Evolve 2016 had a session on HockeyApp, so it might be worth checking that to see how it was done there (I was listening, but multi-tasking, so missed the detail).

• tohweitohwei USMember ✭✭

I am using Xamarin.Forms. I tried installing the sdks from nugget to my iOS project.
    However, same issue here. Got the same error as @DavidSmith.5030

• RasmusChristensenRasmusChristensen DKUniversity ✭✭

Same issue as @tohwei and @DavidSmith.5030 could not install because:
    targets 'portable-net45+win+wpa81+MonoTouch10+MonoAndroid10+xamarinmac20+xamarintvos10+xamarinwatchos10+xamarinios10'

• GavinBaumanGavinBauman USMember
    edited August 2016

Hey All!

So we figured this out in Xamarin.Forms usind Dependency Services. I've written a quick blog post on it. As of now, it's focused on Android, but the concept for iOS is identical. Hope it helps!

http://theothergavin.net/hockey-app-for-xamarin-forms-no-problem/

• Just using "Get more components" for installation of HockeyApp is enough to make HockeyApp's Update-Check and other features work?

• troyforetroyfore USMember

Is there a different between the components install and the Nuget install of the SDK?

I'm not using the Update App capability and am trying to remove the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission as per their docs but it's not working for me. Even when I use the tools:node="remove" attribute I get the permission in the final output.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@GavinBauman said:
    Hey All!

So we figured this out in Xamarin.Forms usind Dependency Services. I've written a quick blog post on it. As of now, it's focused on Android, but the concept for iOS is identical. Hope it helps!

http://theothergavin.net/hockey-app-for-xamarin-forms-no-problem/

@GavinBauman you agree that your solution is for Android but the same principle can be applied for iOS. But there is no 'HockeyApp for iOS' component.

Some time in May 2016, Xamarin conducted a Twitter contest for the Evolve 16 Mini-Hacks. In that I did use HockeySDK.Xamarin NuGet Package, of course in a Xamarin's Mono.Android project. Since this package's description doesn't mention being 'Android only', I assume this should work for Xamarin.Forms. I have not tried it yet. But someone could try it and present the results here.

• troyforetroyfore USMember

@ShantimohanElchuri said:

But there is no 'HockeyApp for iOS' component.

Is this what you were looking for? https://components.xamarin.com/view/hockeyappios

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@troyfore said:

Is this what you were looking for? https://components.xamarin.com/view/hockeyappios

Ah...I was just following what was in the blog post mentioned by @GavinBauman . There I didn't find one. Yes, in Xamarin's component store it is there. Then why was it not shown in the Add component in VS?

• @ShantimohanElchuri said:

@troyfore said:

Ah...I was just following what was in the blog post mentioned by @GavinBauman . There I didn't find one. Yes, in Xamarin's component store it is there. Then why was it not shown in the Add component in VS?

I see the confusion. Apologies, I assumed it was self-explanatory (as we do sometimes), but I'll add a specific workflow for iOS

• I have just published a repo on GitHub that demonstrates using DependencyService to allow tracking custom events with HockeySDK in Xamarin.forms projects as suggested by @GavinBauman

It demonstrates calling the HockeySDK metrics service within the Shared Project from a Droid, iOS, UWP, Windows 8.1, and WP 8.1 project.

You can follow the commit history for a clear rundown of the steps:
    1.) Create a Xamarin.forms project
    2.) Add appropriate HockeySDK component / package
    3.) Create a service interface in your shared project
    4.) Add implementation of the service as a linked file in applicable projects
    5.) Call service from Shared Project using DependencyService

• HamzawyHamzawy USMember

Did you check this?!

https://components.xamarin.com/gettingstarted/hockeyappforms

It describes the configurations and initialization that must be done in platform specific projects using the respective bindings sdks.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

how do you track a custom exception inside forms project? i need to be able to have inside try catch and report an exception just like doing in xamarin insight? I dont see this option available