Bind a child's property to a parent's in c#

BenVutiBenVuti USMember ✭✭
edited June 2017 in Xamarin.Forms

Hi,
I found TemplateBinding which allows me to bind a child's property to a parent's in c#.
The issue is that my child element is 6 steps bellow the Parent holding the property I want.
I can't seem to be able to reach it. Any solution ?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• BenVutiBenVuti US ✭✭
    edited March 26 Accepted Answer

After digging around for a while I decided to bypass the problem like this:
    My DetailsPage is a page designed to display any object following a set of rules.
    The simplest way that came to me in order to do that was to use a custom Layout

class MetadataLayout : Layout<View> 
    {
        public static readonly BindableProperty ItemsSourceProperty = BindableProperty.Create("ItemSource", typeof(EntityMetadata), typeof(MetadataLayout), default(EntityMetadata), BindingMode.TwoWay, propertyChanged: OnItemsSourceChanged);
    }

That way, I just had to do that in my XAML

<controls:MetadataLayout ItemsSource="{Binding Metadata}"/>

The issue was that some fields are linking to other pages and that all the Navigation logic is held by the Page's ViewModel

So I tried playing with the bindings in c#, but got nowhere.

The simplest thing to do was to pass the command by adding a binding to my custom layout

{
        public static readonly BindableProperty ItemsSourceProperty = BindableProperty.Create("ItemSource", typeof(EntityMetadata), typeof(MetadataLayout), default(EntityMetadata), BindingMode.TwoWay, propertyChanged: OnItemsSourceChanged, propertyChanging: OnItemsSourceChanged);

public static readonly BindableProperty CommandProperty = BindableProperty.Create("Command", typeof(ICommand), typeof(MetadataLayout), default(ICommand));

public EntityMetadata ItemsSource 
        {
            get => (EntityMetadata)GetValue(ItemsSourceProperty);
            set => SetValue(ItemsSourceProperty, value); 
        }

public ICommand Command 
        {
            get => (ICommand)GetValue(CommandProperty);
            set => SetValue(CommandProperty, value);
        }

<controls:MetadataLayout ItemsSource="{Binding Metadata}" Command="{Binding LinkTappedCommand}"/>

Like that, I can pass the command wherever I want to down the object tree.

I anyone know of a better solution to my maybe-flawed-design, please let me know :)

Answers

• BenVutiBenVuti USMember ✭✭
    edited March 26 Accepted Answer

After digging around for a while I decided to bypass the problem like this:
    My DetailsPage is a page designed to display any object following a set of rules.
    The simplest way that came to me in order to do that was to use a custom Layout

{
        public static readonly BindableProperty ItemsSourceProperty = BindableProperty.Create("ItemSource", typeof(EntityMetadata), typeof(MetadataLayout), default(EntityMetadata), BindingMode.TwoWay, propertyChanged: OnItemsSourceChanged);
    }

That way, I just had to do that in my XAML

<controls:MetadataLayout ItemsSource="{Binding Metadata}"/>

The issue was that some fields are linking to other pages and that all the Navigation logic is held by the Page's ViewModel

So I tried playing with the bindings in c#, but got nowhere.

The simplest thing to do was to pass the command by adding a binding to my custom layout

{
        public static readonly BindableProperty ItemsSourceProperty = BindableProperty.Create("ItemSource", typeof(EntityMetadata), typeof(MetadataLayout), default(EntityMetadata), BindingMode.TwoWay, propertyChanged: OnItemsSourceChanged, propertyChanging: OnItemsSourceChanged);

public static readonly BindableProperty CommandProperty = BindableProperty.Create("Command", typeof(ICommand), typeof(MetadataLayout), default(ICommand));

public EntityMetadata ItemsSource 
        {
            get => (EntityMetadata)GetValue(ItemsSourceProperty);
            set => SetValue(ItemsSourceProperty, value); 
        }

public ICommand Command 
        {
            get => (ICommand)GetValue(CommandProperty);
            set => SetValue(CommandProperty, value);
        }

<controls:MetadataLayout ItemsSource="{Binding Metadata}" Command="{Binding LinkTappedCommand}"/>

Like that, I can pass the command wherever I want to down the object tree.

I anyone know of a better solution to my maybe-flawed-design, please let me know :)