iOS binary w/ debug restricted to 24 hrs ; XS shows I'm on Starter / Account shows I on Indie ...

Hi there,

I've just noticed that my app stopped working due to XS licensing issues .

I have checked out XS 'Xamarin Account' and it says I am on 'Starter Edition' for both iOS and Android ( snapshot 1 ) .

However, when I clicked on 'View Account' button, I said '1 total seats / 0 active developers / 1 seats available' .

I gathered I need to have my profile added there, so I added myself and it then showed '1 total seats / 1 active developers / 0 seats available '.

I have restarted XS , logged out and back in but it still shows that I am on the Starter for both - although I am supposed to be on the Indie edition for iOS .

Do I have to wait more time to have XS sync'ed with the remote profile, or there is something broken with my ( latest alpha XS ) ?

Thank you. Ionut.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

The About dialog currently shows the state of the licenses as activated on your machine, not on your logged-in account. Licenses are not currently "synced" as such - you will be prompted to activate the license when you use a feature that requires the license.

If your app is showing an expiry time, it may be that it was built with a trial license and you need to do a clean rebuild.

• ivrusubocaivrusuboca HKMember
    edited September 2013

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

I have uninstalled Xamarin Studio ( by dragging Xamarin Studio.app into the Trash bin) and re-installed a version that my online account was pointing to .

As such, I ended up having a different dialog box when opened Accounts in XS ( see attached snapshot ) .

Question 1/2 : is this the expected dialog box that confirms I have the Indie license for iOS ( only ) ?

Then I changed to alpha channel and installed the latest updates and then checked Accounts in XS again, and I as greeted with the same iOS Starter / Android Starter licenses combination .

Question 2/2 : is it expected that the alpha version(s) identify the Indie license ?

Thank you very much, indeed.
    Ionut.

The Account dialog was rewritten for the next release, currently in Alpha. It shown the states of activated licenses on your machine, not licenses on your account. When you use a feature that requires a higher license, Xamarin Studio will download the licenses from your account and activate it on your machine. After this, the dialog should show your Indie license.

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for your reply. Apologies for not getting back to you earlier - I was on holiday.

Based on your explanation, what I understand is that my installed XS on my Mac is kept in 'Starter Edition' ( w/ the 24 hrs debug limit ) for as long as my app does not require a feature that would trigger a license download from my Xamarin online account .

In other words, I am kept in '24 hrs debug limit' even that I have an Indie license, and this is only because my current app did not trigger a sync with my online account as all my app's feature are not currently breaching the Starter Edition .

Is it right ?

Thank you. Ionut.

Yes. We're working on making this easier to understand. If you'd like to force activation, you can do something not supported with Starter, such as creating/opening a binding project.

Hi Michael,

Thank you very much for the explanation. I have used the BindingSample project in order to force the activation of my license - as per your suggestion - and it, indeed, worked. Snapshot attached.

Regards. Ionut.

• I am experiencing a similar problem however the solution posted above doesn't resolve it. When I get to the point where I try and build my app, which requires business license, I am given 2 options: get a trial or purchase a license. I thought perhaps I needed to use the purchase a license option in order to activate my business account but it merely takes me to my account where it shows me that I indeed do have a business account.

I even attempted to download to iOS the license from the "Computers" section of the management portal for my development machine but after hitting ok twice on identical dialogs it did nothing.

This is really frustrating considering the $1K I paid for this and now I am stuck since I no longer can obtain a trial license.

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

@RobertCurrie

Could you contact [email protected] about this? They should be able to help you.

@RobertCurrie did you log into Xamarin Studio successfully with the account that has the license? What kind of project are you building?

• Yes I was able to log in successfully. I am building an iPhone/iPad game using MonoGame that I ported over from Windows Phone and it includes wcf client code which is why I need a business license. I will contact support to hopefully get this sorted out.

@RobertCurrie: after you logged in, did the login dialog show that it had activated your Business license? Does the Account dialog show your Business license for Xamarin.iOS? Does the activation dialog say why exactly it thinks you need to upgrade?

• After I log in it indicates that I have a starter account for both iOS an Android, however if I view my account online it shows that I have the business license. When I attempt to initiate the account by building my project which requires the business license it brings up the dialog that states I can either upgrade by visiting the website, request a trial license or continue without upgrading. There is no reason listed in the dialog as to why I would have to upgrade.

@RobertCurrie: Could you please email your Ide logs to support? You can find them via Help -> Open Log Directory.

• I figured it out. When it asks to provide your Xamarin account I was providing the account owner credentials, not the developer credentials. The wordage on the login somewhat implied the former which is why it never occurred to me.