Forum Xamarin.Android
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

x86 based AVD

When I go to debug my .Droid project in Visual Studio 2015, I'm getting the suggestion "Running an x86 based Android Virtual Device (AVD) is 10x faster. We strongly recommend creatng a new AVD."

I tried to follow all the on-line instructions to create such a creature but I'm afraid the documentation I found is 4-6 years old and hard for a novice like me to follow.

I got HAXM 6.0.3 installed. What I need are instructions to create an "x86 based Android Virtual Device." Can anybody point me to up-to-date and easy-to-understand directions please.

Answers

• NoumanAliNoumanAli USMember

I am facing the same type of thing. However, I tried to create a virtual machine with x86 but still emulator whenever it start shows the same message.

• TomPeerTomPeer USMember ✭✭

Have you downloaded a x86 image with the SDK manager?

• XamaRin.5948XamaRin.5948 USMember

In Visual Studio 2017, Tools | Android | Android Emulation Manager, I do not see how to download a suitable emulator. I've tried creating a bunch of different ones, but they all still result in the dialog saying I'm not doing the right thing. Where is a URL with current info on avoiding this issue? Others are having the issue too...

Why hasn't Visual Studio 2017 fixed this? Bad OOB experience!

• TomPeerTomPeer USMember ✭✭

Forget Visual Studio! You have to download a image with the Android SDK Manager!