Forum General

Announcement:

The Xamarin Forums have officially moved to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Microsoft Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

To create new threads and ask questions head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET and get involved today.

Monodevelop on Linux is unusable

StarbeamrainbowlabsStarbeamrainbowlabs GBMember ✭✭
edited May 2017 in General

Hello,

I've been having a ton of trouble with all the recent versions of Monodevelop that are distributed via flatpak, and I was wondering if anyone could help? I'd like a prebuilt binary for linux, if anyone has one - I've tried compiling 3 times before, but I keep getting stumped by an F# compilation error (I don't even use F#! Why does it need it to compile?!), so that's a no-go.

Here are the issues I've run into:

1. The flatpak version of monodevelop sits in a sandbox which means I can't edit anything unless it's in my /home. This drives me nuts because most of my projects aren't in my /home directory. Calling the flatpak monodevelop binary works somewhat ok, but it's rather unstable.
  2. Flatpak is convinced that I don't actually have monodevelop installed - even though it installed it itself!
  3. Because of #2, flatpak refuses to update or uninstall monodevelop
  4. Calling the monodevelop binary directly means that I can't use the nuget gui. It crashes. Every time.

Any support would be greatly appreciated.

System information:

• Monodevelop version: Version 6.2
    Installation UUID: a4514d53-8028-4f30-85bf-03e980633e4d

• Runtime:

• Mono 5.0.1.1 (2017-02/5077205 Thu May 25 09:16:53 UTC 2017) (64-bit)
    • GTK+ 2.24.31 (Ambiance theme)
  • uname -a: Linux MACHINE_NAME_HERE 4.10.0-21-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 28 16:14:22 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

• Ubuntu version: 17.04

Best Answer

Answers