MSBuild.exe is not closed after every build

For some time (few months) we encounter a issue with VS 2015 + Xamarin, with every iOS build MSBuild.exe is not closed and every time new instance is created, after 2-3 builds CPU (Intel i7) is at 100% used by 3-4 instances of MSBuild. Workaround is to manually kill the processes but how long will it take until it will be fixed?
The issue happens on 3 different machines in the team, we are using Windows 10, VS 2015, Xamarin latest stable release, real 2 Mac Mini.
Thank you.

Tagged:

Answers

• ChrisColeTechChrisColeTech ✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭

like most things, it probably wont be getting fixed anytime soon.

what I've done is copy this:

taskkill /F /IM MSBuild.exe

into a cmd prompt window and that seems to kill all of the left over processes.

You can also turn it into a script.

• Pxr87Pxr87 USMember

Thanks for the script, still so annoying though!

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich Xamurai USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

Potential Bugzilla cross-reference:

Bug 42717

• ChrisColeTechChrisColeTech ✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭

Just checking in

After experiencing some weird storyboard issues, I had to run the above script to fix it.

@KingChrisCole could you elaborate on the details of the issues you're seeing? Full version details from both Windows & Mac, steps to reproduce, and a test case (if possible) would be great.

• PhilipOGormanPhilipOGorman ✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭

@AshleyGazich i see this a lot, i cant kill the msbuild task because we have parallel builds. Msbuild is preventing us cleaning up the workspace after a build.

@PhilipOGorman could you file an issue with full version details, steps to reproduce, and (if possible) a minimal sample? The bug report earlier in the thread has been closed as fixed, so I think opening a new bug would be the best way forward.

• PhilipOGormanPhilipOGorman ✭✭✭ USMember ✭✭✭

@AshleyGazich said:
    @PhilipOGorman could you file an issue with full version details, steps to reproduce, and (if possible) a minimal sample? The bug report earlier in the thread has been closed as fixed, so I think opening a new bug would be the best way forward.

Actually -I found a fix, we added the following to the msbuild command:
    msbuild.exe /nr:false