Forum Xamarin.Android

Wrapping a PDF Viewer for Android

Hi All,

I am trying to wrap a PDF viewer for Android so I can view PDFs inside my app. So far I have tried PDFTron this one wrapped successfully but their licensing options are really expensive. Another one is androidpdf.mobi this one is perfect and alot of apps use it but everytime I try to wrap it I keep getting an error that says an input JAR is required (I have attached the project below) If anyone knows anyother PDF library which has been successfully been wrapped please let me know.

Many thanks

• lucavajanilucavajani ITMember

https://components.xamarin.com/view/apitron-pdf-rasterizer/

Just buy the component, use it as many times u need :)

• Just to add another thread here. I have been looking into this requirement for quite some time and I think the best implementation is the RadaeePDF package. Now they currently only have a version that works on Android using their binding application.

The package is on GitHub https://github.com/gearit/RadaeePDF-Xamarin and is quite easy to use. Their sample application simply loads a pdf (although you will have to add one yourself) but it only took a few mins to implement in our solution.

That being said it has some big "gotchas" and isnt actually supported by Radaee.. But at least it is a start.

• hvaughanhvaughan USMember ✭✭✭

@NicoVanHaaster.1454
    What are some of the gotcha that you have found?

• Hello,

i am creating one android application using xamairn.andorid.

With in my app , we have requirement to show document like pdf, doc, tiffin, all type of images with in application

Can any one have idea on this ?

• hvaughanhvaughan USMember ✭✭✭

@BharatArora.2898

The only good way I have found to do it (using Xamarin Forms) is to detect a specific link within a custom WebView renderer, or detect any .pdf links. When you find one, either show the user an alert asking if they want to download it or enable a download button somewhere.

Then, once the document is downloaded onto the device, you use an intent to show the PDF using what ever application the device has installed.

• Now the package is officially supported by radaeepdf.com team and there are both Android and iOS.

Disclaimer: I'm belonging from RadaeePDF.

@NicoVanHaaster.9594 said:
    Just to add another thread here. I have been looking into this requirement for quite some time and I think the best implementation is the RadaeePDF package. Now they currently only have a version that works on Android using their binding application.

The package is on GitHub https://github.com/gearit/RadaeePDF-Xamarin and is quite easy to use. Their sample application simply loads a pdf (although you will have to add one yourself) but it only took a few mins to implement in our solution.

That being said it has some big "gotchas" and isnt actually supported by Radaee.. But at least it is a start.

• petr.5551petr.5551 ZAMember

@DarioFinardi, will the Xamarin repo be updated to port the bindings for PDFReader, etc. ?