Updating Xamarin broke the build process (The process cannot access the file "appName.dll.mdb")

Answers

• jonojono jc jc USMember ✭✭

None of these solutions for me consistantly. It may work for a few hours then it comes back to locking DLL hell. Seriously, a year on, and this still happens? Does anyone have anything more update to date?

VS2013 Update 5
    Xamarin.Andriod 6.0.2.1

• devsdevs devs USMember

Same problem with Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 + Xamarin Form 2.2.0.5.

Very frustrating bug. I will never recomend the Xamarin "solution".

• RobClotherRobClother Rob Clother GBUniversity ✭✭

Visual Studio 2015, Xamarin Forms 2.3.2.127

Getting this issue frequently.

A restart of Visual Studio can take up to ten minutes on a fast machine. This is seriously affecting my productivity.

This has been an issue for over a year and a half.

• Chris_HChris_H Chris Hayton NZMember ✭✭
    edited May 10

I'm getting this issue after updating Xamarin this morning. Deleting bin and obj doesn't fix it. Affects both Debug and Release builds.

• DmytroBondarenkoDmytroBondarenko Dmytro Bondarenko USMember ✭✭

I had this problem when I wan on beta or alpha branch, so I switched to Release.

Today I installed the latest XF for VS 4.5.0.443 and since that moment I can't build app each time. I have to clean solution or\and delete .dll's manually or\and kill all msbuild processes.

I can delete all that files manually. No problems or locked files.
    Also I tried to run VS as Administrator == no result.

• DaveUDaveU David Underwood GBMember ✭✭

I have this problem too since updating to the latest Xamarin version. Manually deleting files in bin and obj works once per VS build, but obviously need a permanent fix... any ideas?!

• MichelMoorlagMichelMoorlag Michel Moorlag USMember ✭✭

Yesterday I installed XF for VS 4.5.0.443 and since that I am getting:

Error Unable to copy file "obj\Debug\appname.dll" to "bin\Debug\appname.dll". The process cannot access the file 'bin\Debug\appname.dll' because it is being used by another process.
    Error Could not copy "obj\Debug\appname.dll" to "bin\Debug\appname.dll". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed.

For Android a clean solutions sometimes seems to work but I am unable to build and run any IOS project. I tried all the previous solutions like removing bin folders, remove suo files, start as admin etc but nothing seems to work. Productions is down to zero and frustration is high

• LucaPinascoLucaPinasco Luca Pinasco ITMember ✭✭

same problem here...

• MichelMoorlagMichelMoorlag Michel Moorlag USMember ✭✭

Since I couldn't find any open bug in bugzilla around this issue I opened a new one: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56275

I really love Xamarin Forms but this kind of issues in stable releases kills productivity :(

• BrianMacomberBrianMacomber Brian Macomber USMember ✭✭

I'm seeing the same issue in VS 2017 15.2...added to your bug report

• JoshuaPolingJoshuaPoling Joshua Poling USMember ✭✭
  • haluuhaluu haluu llc USMember ✭✭

I too have this problem. Please fix this Xamarin SOON

• GregCadmesGregCadmes Greg Cadmes USUniversity ✭✭

while this may work short term, deleting the .suo file also disconnects the source control. Nearly as bad as restarting VS every time...

• MichaelGUILLAUMEMichaelGUILLAUME Michael GUILLAUME USMember

It has worked for 1 hour and then again same problem ....

• olexandersolexanders Olexander Ivanitskyi UAMember

I wrote to support and they provided a link to the older version of Xamarin for Visual Studio - 4.4:
    https://dl.xamarin.com/XamarinforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.4.0.34.msi

I also downgraded Xamarin iOS on the Mac to 10.8 following this instruction:
    https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1699777-how-do-i-downgrade-to-an-older-version-of-xamarin-

Now it works.

• JohannesFetzJohannesFetz Johannes Fetz USMember

I had the same issue with the last update (4.5.0.443) with Visual Studio 2015
    To solve the problem, I downgraded Xamarin to the previous stable version like Olexander.

• DomenicoPrimiano0586DomenicoPrimiano0586 Domenico Primiano USMember

Same issue and same solution (Downgrade to Xamarin 4.4.0.34).
    Thank's all.

• visionflarevisionflare David Guidali CHMember ✭✭

Same Issue here, using VS 2017 15.2 with the latest Xamarin.Forms build.. sucks!

• AquablueAquablue Elia Borsa USMember

Try this workaround (tested with VS2017 15.2 and Xamarin for VS 4.5.0.443) until Xamarin fixes the issue:

Kill all the MSBuild processes.

You can either use an application like ProcessExplorer (see screenshot above) or a faster solution (as you will have to repeat the operation each time you build your solution) is to open a command prompt (and keep it open) and execute:

taskkill /IM MSBuild.exe /F

@Aquablue said:
    Try this workaround (tested with VS2017 15.2 and Xamarin for VS 4.5.0.443) until Xamarin fixes the issue:

Kill all the MSBuild processes.

You can either use an application like ProcessExplorer (see screenshot above) or a faster solution (as you will have to repeat the operation each time you build your solution) is to open a command prompt (and keep it open) and execute:

taskkill /IM MSBuild.exe /F

That doesn't work unfortunately. I have to delete all bin / obj folders all the time..

• AquablueAquablue Elia Borsa USMember

@visionflare: What version of VS do you have? If you don't have VS 2017 15.2, additionally to killing all the MSBuild.exe kill also ServiceHub.DataWarehouseHost.exe could maybe help. This process was also the cause of the same (couldn't copy obj/.../..dll to bin/.../...dll) problem, but according to a MS source the issue should have been solved with VS 15.2 (but some users still reported the same problematic behavior with 15.2).

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, there is no such process running.

• FreefragFreefrag Frei-Cedric Hackbarth USMember ✭✭

Any news to this bug?
    I can not work effective with the bug. Please fix it.

Killing 'MSBuild' processes is not a save solution for me.

my Setup:
    Visual Studio 2017 - 15.2 (26430.4)
    Xamarin 4.5.0.443

• mubimubi Muabasher Ikram USMember ✭✭✭

Same problem
    with every new update, something worst happens.

edited May 23

It seems i had some version conflincts in my nuget packages. You can try the following:

1. Close VS
    2. Delete all folders inside your "packages" folder of your root folder.
    3. Restart VS
    4. Right click on solution and "Restore Nuget Packages"
    5. Check your packages folder, you should not use two packages of the same dependency with different versions. Also check your warnings in VS, sometimes a warning shows up when you have dependency problems in your packages folder.

That solved it for me at the moment, but I didn't test that much now (although, removing dependency problems is always a good idea).

• BobisbackBobisback Sean Hoffman USUniversity ✭✭

I am getting the same issue. I cannot find a solution, I have wasted a couple of days on this.

• BrooksyBrooksy Dave Brooks CAMember
    Same issue here.
    Several days for me as well.

The problem has returned now. Process explorer says, visual studio itself is blocking an assembly..

• mubimubi Muabasher Ikram USMember ✭✭✭

one solution is to open PCL folder and delete Bin and Obj folder and do the same for the iOS project too.

• AnatoliiBAnatoliiB Anatolii Belomestnov USUniversity ✭✭

having the same issue, is anyone aware of a fix being released yet?

• RobertDurfeeRobertDurfee Robert Durfee USMember ✭✭

I have this issue as well, and it occurs on Android, iOS and UWP builds. Very annoying.

@AnatoliiB said:

this appears to have been fixed in today's (5/24/2017) v 15.2 release by the way,

• paradise_humanparadise_human Ahmad Khojasteh USMember ✭✭

@AnatoliiB said:

@AnatoliiB said:

this appears to have been fixed in today's (5/24/2017) v 15.2 release by the way,

Where ?

@paradise_human said:

@AnatoliiB said:

@AnatoliiB said:

Where ?

from Xamarin Downloads: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads
    select latest 5/24/2017 update:

https://dl.xamarin.com/XamarinforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.5.0.475.msi

this fixed it for me.
    this was the bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56275

• paradise_humanparadise_human Ahmad Khojasteh USMember ✭✭

@AnatoliiB said:

@paradise_human said:

@AnatoliiB said:

@AnatoliiB said:

Where ?

from Xamarin Downloads: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads
    select latest 5/24/2017 update:

https://dl.xamarin.com/XamarinforVisualStudio/Windows/Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.5.0.475.msi

this fixed it for me.
    this was the bug: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56275

Thank you...

• TrevorBalcomTrevorBalcom Trevor Balcom USMember ✭✭

So why isn't Visual Studio 2017 updating to Xamarin 4.5.0.475 if there has been a new stable release? The option to check for updates is completely gone in Visual Studio 2017.

• DanielLittleDanielLittle Daniel Little USMember

I'm getting this too VS2017, installed VS then Modified install to install Xamarin (Using Xamarin Forms). First build always works, always fails with every other build (devenv.exe is locking the file).

Could not copy "obj\Debug\PortableSharedProject.dll" to "bin\Debug\PortableSharedProject.dll". Exceeded retry count of 10. Failed.

Check out the VS-Extension from RUSK

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjNg48gcJCR6o5gY1fC4NP5G3wlMHQ

Seemed like it solved the problem for some people.

• TrevorBalcomTrevorBalcom Trevor Balcom USMember ✭✭

Looks like the fix has rolled out to Visual Studio 2017 today as well.

• MoshabTabtiMoshabTabti Moshab Tabti USMember

@TrevorBalcom said:
    Looks like the fix has rolled out to Visual Studio 2017 today as well.

I just updated my VS and now I don't have this messsage anymore. Thanks !