Explanation of diamonds icon in Solution Explorer

Anders_AAnders_A USMember ✭✭

I am having a short question (or rather two)...

1. Can anyone explain the meaning of this green diamonds icon and where it is used?

2. Does anybody have a link or knows of some quality documentation on the Xamarin project/Visual Studio icons in general such as a legend or overview?

Thanks in advance for any help and time taken to answer the questions above.

Best Answer

Answers

• Anders_AAnders_A USMember ✭✭

@JohnMiller

Thanks John. Good to know this. :smile:

Yep, it would be nice to have a combined icon legend for all the icons in Xamarin. I know of a corresponding icon legend for Visual Studio's Solution Explorer, that is provided by Microsoft through their official documentation, but one for Xamarin, I have neither been able to find yet.

I'll give you a shout out if I stumble upon something like this and check this thread regularly for your feedback if you find anything. :smile:

Btw, are you an official Xamarin employee? I am wondering about this since you have the Xamarin logo on your avatar.

• JohnMillerJohnMiller USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    @Anders_A

No problem! Those icons are not Xamarin specific. Could you share where you are seeing an icon legend for VS?

And yes, Microsoft employee. We have a logo to help identify us all!

@JohnMiller

Sure thing.

There is a bit here...
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y47ychfe.aspx

But if you want the whole works with each and any item from VS, you can find it here. The latest version is VS 2015 and a bit large, but well worth the download...
    https://microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35825

I am not sure if it's me who is mistaken about the Xamarin specific icon but so far I don't recall having seen the "diamonds" anywhere else than in Xamarin projects.

edited May 2017

@Anders_A,

Awesome! . I've not seen shared projects used outside of Xamarin projects yet either but they could be. What's neat is they are not restricted to Xamarin projects in any way. It's another option for making a library that can be shared. Take a look at this blog post about the release announcement for them back in VS 2015 previews. Let me know if I can help with anything else!

@JohnMiller

Good to hear you liked the links. I wasn't aware of the sharing potential in Shared Projects. I am currently working with PCL which according to my research enables real sharing. I had the impression that Shared Projects on the other hand can share code only internally, but not be used to be moved to and applied in other projects. So this is quite surprising and a bit confusing as well.

Well..., there is something I actually need help with but I am not sure if this topic is within your area of responsibility. It's basically about an issue I am having with applying and running an async REST call within my current Xamarin.Forms project. If you would be interested in helping out, I could maybe PM you about the details?

@Anders_A,

Yeah, there is a debate around which type of project to use. See here and here as an example. Generally, shared projects are great for use in an application. If you want the code in a project to be shared between multiple apps, then a PCL is probably a better fit.

Sure, feel free to message me. I might also suggest that you make a new forum thread with the questions you have if appropriate.