Latest Xamarin iOS7 Release - Revert to SDK6?

VelocityVelocity NZMember ✭✭✭
edited September 2013 in General

In great eager anticipation, downloaded the latest (stable) iOS release this morning and updated my Xamarin studio.
One of our apps previously built OK under an alpha-release of Xamarin iOS7, so wasn't expecting too many dramas. However, the latest release totally breaks the app.

• SIGABRTs
  • MonoTouch dialog looks awful
  • Shinobi components don't display properly ie. Grids

Now this app was rock-solid built under the previous version, but building in today's production release of Xamarin iOS7 SDK is barely operational. This is a great disappointment from a development team who rely on Xamarin products for our mobile development strategy.

How can we revert to the last (pre-iOS7) stable release of Xamarin iOS and Mono framework?
Alternatively - is there an option to build the app using the previous SDK?

NB. I might add that so far we have only updated ONE development workstation fortunately.

• CodeMonkeyCodeMonkey GBMember ✭✭✭

I have only viewed my login & registration forms and so far the layout is bolloxed, its almost like the X/Y coordinates are all different from when I ran the app yesterday. I lot of things that weren't transparent are now transparent.

Found another issue, all my ViewControllers are sitting behind the NavigationBar so all my view sizes are out.

Has anyone got any suggestions here? Are these Xamarin issues or Apple issues? The app I am working on was approved for the app store last week, it is now unusable and we need to push out an update before the masses update to IOS7.

How is is possible that my views on now sitting under the top system bar which shows time/network etc..? Should that even be possible?

My bad! I now see some of this behaviour is by design, but some things are going wrong. Two of my apps in the appstore now have bugs.

• VelocityVelocity NZMember ✭✭✭

Just as CodeMonkey has pointed out, I'm fully prepared for some compatibility issues particular around the UI, but not for a completely broken app.

Xamarin team can you please advise a procedure for reverting to SDK6 while these issues are resolved.

• AlexWhiteAlexWhite GBMember ✭✭✭

I have always had issues with layouts with MT.D I modified the section code to allow me to pass a width parameter

in MT.D source code around line 2238 (approx)

public Section (string caption, int captionSize) : base (caption) {
        EntryAlignment = new SizeF(captionSize, 21);
    }

then in my interface code

int CaptionSize = 200;
    if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.UserInterfaceIdiom == UIUserInterfaceIdiom.Pad) {
        if (UIDevice.CurrentDevice.CheckSystemVersion(7, 0)) {
            CaptionSize = 100;
        } else {
            CaptionSize = 250;
        }
    } else {
        CaptionSize = 120;
    }

_rootPoint = new RootElement("Point info");
    _rootPoint.Add(new Section("", CaptionSize));

you will have to have a play with the figures to get it right, but basically you need to move over to the left more with IOS7 with the captions.

atb

alex

The Apple Dev forums are starting to fill up with issues so I think most things are Apple related. The one that is going to cause me a lot of pain is UITextView.ContentSize and UITextView.SizeToFit no longer work they way they used to.

I also read about people opening their XIBs in Xcode5 and Xcode5 trashing the layouts by defaulting a bunch of properties, and there is no way to revert back..

• jp99jp99 MVMember ✭✭

when it comes to the positioning issue with the navigation bar, the following code fixed it for me:

rootNavigationController.NavigationBar.Translucent = false;

Hope that helps :)

@jp99 What effect is settings this property supposed to have? I'm only guessing from the property name that it makes the NavigationBar non Translucent, what did this fix for you?

• jp99jp99 MVMember ✭✭

@CodeMonkey

the property fixes that issue:

11:38AM

Found another issue, all my ViewControllers are sitting behind the NavigationBar so all my view > sizes are out.

edited September 2013

@jp99 Doesn't seem to have any affect in my app :(.

Is anyone having issues with Google maps not responding to any touch events? I see the issue in the simulator and on a device.

UPDATE: It seems the map only gets the first touch event, so If I touch down and move around everything is fine, but if I touch up and then touch down again I get nothing, No error, no movement.

• eugenet8keugenet8k USMember

I believe you should just install previous iOS 6.1 SDK and choose it as default in iPhone Simulator as well as in your Xamarin Project Build options.

To install an older iOS SDKs go to XCode / Preferences / Downloads.

It worked for me this morning and I was able to continue working on my iOS 6.0 based app.

• VelocityVelocity NZMember ✭✭✭

I believe you should just install previous iOS 6.1 SDK and choose it as default in iPhone Simulator as well as in your Xamarin Project Build options.

Downloaded the 6.1 SDK in Xcode and this works a treat. At least it allows me to finish my current build under 6.1 and work towards 7.0 support. Hopefully allows some more time for bugs to be ironed out in MTD for iOS7.

• TheDriverTheDriver USMember

Too many issues for me. Including this one: http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/8111/ios-7-major-trouble-with-anonymous-methods which was a blocker.

Also be careful when upgrading your devices to 7: there is no way back any longer. Apple has stopped signing iOS-6 on most devices: restoring from an ipsw will not work anymore. So keeping iOS-6 on at least one device is a must for testing.

• The only major problem I had moving my app to iOS7 was that I had one view controller on nav controller -- call it level 2 -- scrolling a table in level 1 view controller to sync my table with paging. It worked OK in iOS6, but SIGILLd frequentky under iOS7. Took awhile to track this down, but once I reworked to do the table syncing when the level 1 controller becomes visible again, no other major issues.

App got approved today :-). http://www.picksandpeeks.com/ios/