15-2-preview-1 performance degradation

KasperOvergrdNielsenKasperOvergrdNielsen DKBeta, University ✭✭

Hi

Am I the only one who sees massive performance degradation when updating from stable to the beta channel?

Startup time of the app I'm working on jumps a factor 10. I'm using Prism with Unity, which uses expression trees, and a quick sampling of stack traces tells me that evaluation of expression trees has gone through the floor.

It is not just Unity. Relative Layout in XF, and ReactiveUI, also uses expression trees, and they suffer as well.

A typical example of a sampled stacktrace:

System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.TryEnsureSufficientExecutionStack() in 
System.Linq.Expressions.StackGuard.TryEnterOnCurrentStack() in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.RewriteExpression( node,  stack) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.RewriteUnaryExpression( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.RewriteExpression( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.ChildRewriter.Add( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.RewriteMemberAssignment( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.RewriteAssignBinaryExpression( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.RewriteBlockExpression( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.RewriteConditionalExpression( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.RewriteBlockExpression( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.RewriteExpressionFreeTemps( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.Rewrite<System.Func<Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.IBuilderContext,object>>( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Expression<System.Func<Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.IBuilderContext,object>>.Accept( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.StackSpiller.AnalyzeLambda( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.LambdaCompiler.AnalyzeLambda( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.Compiler.LambdaCompiler.Compile( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.LambdaExpression.Compile( Parameters) in 
System.Linq.Expressions.LambdaExpression.Compile( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicBuildPlanGenerationContext.GetBuildMethod( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlanCreatorPolicy.CreatePlan( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuilderContext.NewBuildUp( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ObjectBuilder.NamedTypeDependencyResolverPolicy.Resolve( Parameters) in 
object.lambda_method( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicBuildPlanGenerationContext.( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlan.BuildUp( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve( Parameters) in 
Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerExtensions.Resolve<object>( Parameters) in 
Prism.Unity.Navigation.UnityPageNavigationService.CreatePage( Parameters) in 
Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.CreatePageFromSegment( Parameters) in 
Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.ProcessNavigationForRootPage( Parameters) in 
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start<Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.<ProcessNavigationForRootPage>d__16>( Parameters) in 
Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.ProcessNavigationForRootPage( Parameters) in 
Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.ProcessNavigation( Parameters) in 
System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start<Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.<ProcessNavigation>d__14>( Parameters) in 
Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.ProcessNavigation( Parameters) in 
Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.ProcessNavigationForAbsoulteUri( Parameters) in 
Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.NavigateAsync( Parameters) in 
Prism.Navigation.PageNavigationService.NavigateAsync( Parameters) in 

20 of 20 samples I have done when I feel things stall, I found the runtime with following two stack frames on top:

System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.TryEnsureSufficientExecutionStack() in 

Are you aware of any changes with regards to expression trees in 15-2?

Br, Kasper

Tagged:

• KasperOvergrdNielsenKasperOvergrdNielsen DKBeta, University ✭✭

Same problem with 15-2-preview-2

Br, Kasper

I have the same issue with the new stable release of 15-2 :( Perhaps the factor is only 3-4 now. Am I really the only one?

• PaulRiehlePaulRiehle USMember ✭✭
    edited May 11

We are also having huge issues with performance degredation since 15.2. Specifically, in one part of our app, a relative layout is populated with several child items, this took only 2-4 seconds yesterday. Today, after updating, it takes upwards to 60 seconds (without exaggeration). It took most of my day to troubleshoot, but we finally realized that the app worked fine on machines that hadn't updated to the new version of Xamarin yet.

EDIT: how can one roll back to an older version of Xamarin anyway?

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭

We're seeing the same

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭

Same here. I have a startup time of multiple minutes now. Prism application, loading a simple screen. However, I think a lot of time gets lost even before initial navigation takes place.

• JimmyGarridoJimmyGarrido USXamarin Team Xamurai

Hey all, I'm still seeing this issue with the stable 15.2 release when using the Xamarin.Forms RelativeLayout and I've filed a bug report with Xamarin.Android so we can track this: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56240

@PhilippSumi @KasperOvergrdNielsen Would one of you be able to provide your project or a sample project that does not use a RelativeLayout and reproduces this issue? Thanks!

• voidvoid DKBeta ✭✭✭
    edited May 11

I'm seeing massive slowdown in a project that does not use RelativeLayout. In the vicinity 60-90 seconds on startup. It does use Prism. Project is client owned and cannot be distributed.

• EmmanuelVazquezEmmanuelVazquez USMember ✭✭

Same, massive slow down on Xamarin.Forms app.

@JimmyGarrido I cannot forward you the project in question, as it is client owned.

However I'm fairly certain it has to do with compilation of expression trees. If memory serves me right, RelativeLayout also uses expression trees.

If you take a closer look at my first post, you will notice that the my "poor-man" profilling revealed that:

Is the culprit. I briefly read the code on github, and it seems to be checking to see if evaluating the expression would deplete the stack of the current thread, and if so, do something completely daft like moving part of the evaluation to another thread to ensure there is enough stack space. Anyway, it is the compilation step that kills performance, more than the actual evaluation.

I have another project for the same client that does not use Prism, and hence Unity, where the performance degradation during startup is less than 20%. Pretty bad in itself, but much better than 400%. Startup time has always been a sore point of Xamarin apps, even without Xamarin.Forms, and it is very visible and easy to measure.

Expression trees are one of the coolest features of .net, please don't make us abandon them

@KasperOvergrdNielsen I saw that you commented on the report and added this information. Thank you for that! We are looking into this being a more general and non-Forms related issue and we will be updating the report during our investigation.

• TobiasSchulz.9796TobiasSchulz.9796 DEMember ✭✭

This makes everything completely unusable. We need a fix soon!

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭

@JimmyGarrido is there an ETA on a fix? This sounds as if the latest VS 2017 update basically breaks Android development for everybody.

• BoHansenBoHansen DKMember ✭✭

Hi - I updated yesterday. I use Prism 6.2 and Xamarin.Forms.2.3.2.127 - after a "vs for mac" install I got error in Android XamlCTask that it did not find xxxxx.dll.mdb. I tried uninstall. I even modified the XamlCTask-problem (that actually worked but it seems like a bad idea to modify this file). This was prior to updating everything.

Then I upgraded to Prism 6.3 and to the new Xamarin.Forms. Everything worked and I was very pleased. iOS worked like a charm. Android worked but performance was terrible. As is "not usable". Like another user here wrote it loads a lot of stuff. But it just takes forever. I have 30 seconds plus startup time. And pressing a button is not very responsive. I have tried to revert to my old setup but without luck. I don't know what is causing the problem.

How do I install a older version on Xamarin.Studio and which mono compiler works? Or du I use another channel or something? I'm very open to suggestons. I did not see this coming. It does not matter it it is Xamarin.Studio or Visual Studio. Performance is VERY bad. Need fix - now.

Very bad performance is delaying our release...

Please help - or fix - or even a workaround would be great.

@BoHansen You need to downgrade to Xamarin.Android 7.2. Unfortunately Xamarin went stable with 7.3 to early, so you cannot simply change channel. You need to manually download and downgrade from here: https://store.xamarin.com/account/my/subscription/downloads

@KasperOvergrdNielsen Thanks! Nice answer. I will try your suggestion - that will work. I'm sure of it. I'm a bit disappointed that 7.3 went stable with this critical bug. It's a mystery to me. In the past I've been holding back with package upgrades due to the fact at most of the time a single upgrade would mean an entire regression test of my apps. Something always seems to be working a little bit different. But yesterday it actually worked - out of the box. I was very pleased what I did actually manage to upgrade and everything still worked. But what feeling went away once I discovered that performance was ridiculous down on Android. Horribly slow. Not releasable in any way. iOS was and has always been working like a charm :)

So question : do I downgrade Xamarin.Android + Xamarin.iOS to 7.2 ? Or JUST Xamarin.Andorid to 7.2. Is is releated to Xamarin.Android alone? So this has nothing to do with "Xamarin Studio" or "VisualStudio For Mac" ? Mono 5.0.0.100 ?

@KasperOvergrdNielsen it worked with the downgrade of Xamarin.Android 7.3 -> 7.2 only ... thank god. I have currently use this:

MonoFramework-MDK-5.0.0.100.macos10.xamarin.universal
    xamarin.android-7.2.0-7
    xamarin.ios-10.10.0.33
    XamarinStudio-6.3.0.864

That working fine and Android has regained it's performance in Android.

Prism 6.3
    Xamarin.Forms 2.3.4.231
    Netwtonsoft.Json 10.0.2

Regards

@BoHansen If you face an issue with hitting breakpoints in Xamarin Studio after downgrading to Xamarin.Android 7.2, then you can try setting the default Mono Runtime to 4.8.1 (in preferences). That worked for me and a co-worker of mine.

• NateVargheseNateVarghese USUniversity ✭✭

@KasperOvergrdNielsen How do you download a second runtime? My preferences only show one option. I can click Add but am unaware of how to download 4.8.1 (or where its saved in the file system) on its own without downgrading everything else.

ls -l /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions should show you what you have installed.

• NateVargheseNateVarghese USUniversity ✭✭

Thank you. You are correct.

• SBSDevSBSDev USMember

We can confirm the same 20X reduction in performance especially when there are complex UI layouts, thus rendering every all of our Android apps unusable.

• SBSDevSBSDev USMember

What about with Visual Studio 2017 - is there a downgrade/revert path? Currently running 15.2 which includes Xamarin.Android 7.3.0.13 and it is a forward-only installer.

• tonholistonholis USMember ✭✭

Hey guys!
    Same performance issues here on Android.

How do I downgrade Xamarin.Android on Windows / VS2017(15.2)?

I downloaded and installed the previous version (4.4 - April 6, 2017) on Xamarin Downloads page but on visual studio nothing changed. In VS > Help > About still says Xamarin.Android SDK 7.3.0.13 (448f54f)

@SBSDev @tonholis To downgrade VS2017 go to this page and sign in with your MSDN account or sign up for VS Dev Essentials in order to access the download for 15.0.

• tonholistonholis USMember ✭✭

Thanks @JimmyGarrido !
    I thought that would be possible to downgrade just Mono/Xamarin.Android...

• MassimoLaSpinaMassimoLaSpina USMember ✭✭

Here https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56240#c52 you can find a workaround for the performance issue

• MassimoLaSpinaMassimoLaSpina USMember ✭✭

A new Visual Studio 2017 update (including Xamarin 4.0.5.476) is available. I installed it and it fixes the performance problem. Note: the update has been released only for Visual Studio stable version. It is not yet available for Visual Studio Preview, as mentioned here https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56240#c57