Forum Xamarin.Forms
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Slow performance after updating Xamarin Studio to Stable Release 15.2

HavrHavr USMember ✭✭
edited May 2017 in Xamarin.Forms

After updating Xamarin Studio to stable-release-15-2 our apps built with Xamarin Forms became very slow, with a horrible performance. It is more visible in the Android version but in the iOS version it also gets worse.

We had to downgrade the app in the play store to a build before we updated.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

• FullEnglishFullEnglish GBMember ✭✭

Xamarin as a whole is becoming more unstable and unusable. I've been using it a year now and in the past 3-4 months it's gotten worse and more unreliable with each update.

• JimmyGarridoJimmyGarrido USXamarin Team Xamurai

@Havr We're looking into reports of performance issues after updating to the 15.2 builds. Can you let me know if your uses any of the following: RelativeLayout, Prism, ReactiveUI, or LINQ Expressions? Thanks!

• HavrHavr USMember ✭✭
    Yes @JimmyGarrido we are using RelativeLayout in most of our Content Pages.
  • DieterDevfuenfDieterDevfuenf USMember

We have the same problem, too. And are also using RelativeLayout intensively.
    Mainly the creation of new Views are extremely slow under Android. Our app has become unusable

In the iOS App the performance seems to be OK

• MikkoAhonenMikkoAhonen USMember

@JimmyGarrido said:
    @Havr We're looking into reports of performance issues after updating to the 15.2 builds. Can you let me know if your uses any of the following: RelativeLayout, Prism, ReactiveUI, or LINQ Expressions? Thanks!

We have these problems, but we don't use relativelayout. We use LINQ and Prism thou.

• NMackayNMackay GBInsider, University admin

Lucky I spotted this, we use Linq and Prism so I'll give this release a wide berth.

• PhilippSumiPhilippSumi USMember ✭✭✭

@JimmyGarrido LINQ and Prism here as well, no RelativeLayouts

• DieterDevfuenfDieterDevfuenf USMember

Downgrading Xamarin.Android from 7.3 to 7.2 works for me.

• wilconwilcon USMember ✭✭✭

I am having the same troubles as well now. Running LINQ and Prism. The app runs fine until it needs to do a API request which sends back around 50-100 items.

• FokkeVermeulenFokkeVermeulen DEMember ✭✭

Android is after the update really slow :(

• TimoGalongaTimoGalonga DEMember ✭✭

@DieterDevfuenf said:

Works for me with current Visual Studio. On 7.3. it was extremely slow.

• JimmyGarridoJimmyGarrido USXamarin Team Xamurai

Thank you all for your reports. We are currently tracking this issue with this bug report. The report title may be inaccurate since using a RelativeLayout was how I initially saw the issue, but this is starting to seem like a more general issue with expressions.

For those of you on VS2015 who would like to downgrade, you can download the previous release from the Xamarin account page as mentioned here. If you are using VS2017, to downgrade go to this page and sign in with your MSDN account or sign up for VS Dev Essentials in order to access the download for 15.0.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure if this only problem with the relativelayout. I dont use anywhere in my app relativelayout but absolutelayout only. I used syncfusion datagrid, If they used relativelayout behind the scenes, I dont know but it looks to me a general problem. It is extremely slow. Please revert this update. many people will have sleepless nights.

• batmacibatmaci DEMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@DieterDevfuenf said:

how do you just downgrade Xamarin.Android? is there a standalone installer?

• ClayZuvichClayZuvich USMember ✭✭✭

I was having the same performance issue. After investigating, I found the issue was consuming the Newtonsoft JSON library. I downgraded from version 10 to 8.0.3, and the performance is better. I feel like something in the latest Mono update has broken Reflection on Android.

• MassimoLaSpinaMassimoLaSpina USMember ✭✭

@JimmyGarrido is there any way to rollback the latest (buggy) Xamarin update without downloading / reinstalling VS2017 ?

• Vaka.GopiNadhReddyVaka.GopiNadhReddy USMember ✭✭✭

Hi

the problem is with mono 5, so you have to download mono 4.8.1, then install it

@Vaka.GopiNadhReddy thank you for your suggestion. However it didn't solve my problem. Did you try downgrading Mono or it is just your guess? Downloading / installing mono from here https://download.mono-project.com/archive/4.8.1/windows-installer/ doesn't work for me: it has no effects on performances of apps built in Visual Studio 2017 under Windows 10. I think it probably installs mono runtime for Windows environment only, not runtime libraries for Android.

@MassimoLaSpina

You can roll-back VS2017 here based on Jimmys post

https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/older-downloads/

Rolling back to 15.0 is the recommended fix, not just rolling back mono.

• RichardMasseRichardMasse USMember ✭✭

Same problem for me, have to rollback to previous build. And if it's not enough, the not released dll in bin folder bug is also back with this update.

So tired of these buggy update. Each update of xamarin is a nightmare.

How can you release thing like that ?

@RichardMasse

Rushed out for Microsoft Build 2017 most likely, they have to stop doing this.

• JoshuaPolingJoshuaPoling USMember ✭✭

@NMackay said:
    @MassimoLaSpina

Rolling back to 15.0 is the recommended fix, not just rolling back mono.

Do I have to uninstall VS 15.2 to install 15.0?

@JoshuaPoling

As far as I'm aware yes. Maybe double check on the Visual Studio to confirm but I'd suspect so.

@NMackay are you running 15.0 without any issues?

@JoshuaPoling

Yeah, got no such issues In a Forms Prism app that uses Linq, none of the reported issues developing in iOS, UWP & Android. 15.0 is reasonably stable.

I'd honestly recommend (from painful experience) of waiting till the 1st service release (SR0) at least before upgrading.

Thanks @NMackay the performance issue is resolved after the rollback!

• ClayZuvichClayZuvich USMember ✭✭✭

Did anyone confirm if JSON deserialization was the culprit?

• FirasHamdanFirasHamdan USMember ✭✭

Can confirm what @NMackay said. Here are my environments:

Normal performance on Android:
    Visual Studio 2017 (15.1)
    Xamarin.Android 7.2.0.7

Unusable performance on Android:
    Visual Studio Community 2017 for Mac Version 7.0 (build 3146)
    Xamarin.Android 7.3

Even after I downgrade to 7.2 on my mac, the performance is still unusable.

We are using prism and linq.

• trung.dinhtrung.dinh VNMember ✭✭

I'm using ReactiveUI.

• MichaelRumplerMichaelRumpler ATMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017

@NMackay said:

You must not click the Download tab like they write on that page but "Sign into your Visual Studio (MSDN) subscription". I tried with VS Dev Essentials first, then Downloads, but could only download new versions.

Under the MSDN subscriptions also old ones are available.

@MichaelRumpler

I'm not using VS2017 yet, it's easy enough to get the VS2015 one. I did check that link and I can see VS2017 15.0 but I didn't think you had to download the whole smash, thought there was a vsix installer.

• TonSnoeiTonSnoei NLMember ✭✭
    No offense, but it is a shame that Xamarin is released in this state.

I agree with RichardMasse, upgrading is always a nightmare especially this 15.2 one. Currently it is impossible to ship my apps built with this version.

The Xamarin team need to do a better job. This kind of quality will lower the succes of the platform for real. Personally I consider to go back developing native Android and iOS again. To be more in control, have better performance and smaller sized apps.
  • sfvalerianosfvaleriano USMember

@TonSnoei said:
    No offense, but it is a shame that Xamarin is released in this state.

I agree with RichardMasse, upgrading is always a nightmare especially this 15.2 one. Currently it is impossible to ship my apps built with this version.

The Xamarin team need to do a better job. This kind of quality will lower the succes of the platform for real. Personally I consider to go back developing native Android and iOS again. To be more in control, have better performance and smaller sized apps.

Is xamarin correct envirement for real app? Begin to have doubts ... many doubts!!

Here https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=56240#c52 you can find a workaround for the performance issue

• samgaksamgak NZMember ✭✭
    edited May 2017

FWIW, I had some slowdowns after updating to a previous Xamarin version (can't remember which, it was about a week ago) but after updating to v.4.5.0.475 it was a lot faster, even faster than before the slow update.

You can also use Xamarin Studio. See this post https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/comment/277264#Comment_277264

A new Visual Studio 2017 update (including Xamarin 4.0.5.476) is available. I installed it and it fixes the performance problem

• michaelwarnesmichaelwarnes USMember ✭✭

where do I get that? are you talking about xamarin.mac....the latest even on the aplpha channel is 3.5.0.126?