Forum Visual Studio

Tools / SDK Manager and Tools / Google Emulator Manager do nothing

BuildCalcBuildCalc USMember ✭✭✭

I've been struggling with this for months. All of the other Tools work as advertised. As a workaround, I just go over to AndroidStudio and use its SDK Manager. There is plenty of help for this problem with VisualStudio Windows but nothing for Mac. Does anyone have any insights here?

My Xamarin.Studio environment:

Xamarin Studio Community
Version 6.3 (build 863)
Installation UUID: cab89d9a-2d60-4361-aa8f-469b7f1dda09
Runtime:
Mono 4.8.1 (mono-4.8.0-branch/22a39d7) (64-bit)
GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

Package version: 408010000

NuGet
Version: 3.5.0.0

Xamarin.Profiler
Version: 1.4.0
Location: /Applications/Xamarin Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/Xamarin Profiler

Xamarin.Android
Version: 7.2.0.7 (Xamarin Studio Community)
Android SDK: /Users/ben/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
Supported Android versions:
2.3 (API level 10)
4.0.3 (API level 15)
4.1 (API level 16)
4.2 (API level 17)
4.3 (API level 18)
4.4 (API level 19)
4.4.87 (API level 20)
5.0 (API level 21)
5.1 (API level 22)
6.0 (API level 23)
7.0 (API level 24)
7.1 (API level 25)

SDK Tools Version: 26.0.2
SDK Platform Tools Version: 25.0.5
SDK Build Tools Version: 25.0.3

Java SDK: /usr
java version "1.8.0_121"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)

Android Designer EPL code available here:
https://github.com/xamarin/AndroidDesigner.EPL

Xamarin Inspector
Version: 1.2.2
Hash: b71b035
Branch: d15-1
Build date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 17:57:12 GMT

Apple Developer Tools
Xcode 8.3.2 (12175)
Build 8E2002

Xamarin.Mac
Version: 3.2.0.175 (Xamarin Studio Community)

Xamarin.iOS
Version: 10.8.0.175 (Xamarin Studio Community)
Hash: a04678c2
Branch: d15-1
Build date: 2017-03-28 14:05:38-0400

Build Information
Release ID: 603000863
Git revision: a2163670efe259c85cd8f335d95b175068fbbe2a
Build date: 2017-04-03 14:33:15-04
Xamarin addins: 2045d688ea1420e0381b473360ca62a763eb7d04
Build lane: monodevelop-lion-d15-1

Operating System
Mac OS X 10.12.4
Darwin BuildCalc15Retina.local 16.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.5.0
Fri Mar 3 16:52:33 PST 2017
root:xnu-3789.51.2~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Enabled user installed addins
Android Signature Tool 2.1.3
MFractor.Installer 2.2.0
MFractor 2.10.06
MSBuild Editor 1.1.2
NuGet Package Explorer 0.1
NuGet Package Management Extensions 0.12
Show in Github 1.0.3
JSON Copy 1.1

Best Answers

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    Accepted Answer

There's a mention of it in the Visual Studio for Mac Preview release notes, and the new SDK Manager is included in the Visual Studio 2017 for Mac release notes as well. However, there's a lot to keep track of, and I'm sure you won't be the only person wondering, so thanks for bringing it up! :smile:

• BuildCalcBuildCalc USMember ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

For the sake of others who might have stumbled upon this same problem. Xamarin Studio just (May 12, 2017) pushed a complete set of updates. After installation, it noted that Visual Studio Mac was available and asked if I wanted to run that instead. Thinking about @AshleyGazich 's May 10 note, I clicked "yes".

What I discovered is that it launched a trial of VisualStudio (Profession or Enterprise - not Community) Preview. As implied by the release notes, the Tools / SDK Manager and Tools / Google Emulator Manager did not work.

So, on a lark, I went to https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-mac/ and downloaded the VisualStudio for Mac installer there. When I ran it, it said I had all of the components already installed but I tried it anyway. Glad I did. When it completed installation, I launched VisualStudio and it was the Community edition (as I hoped) and it was not the Preview. So, Tools / SDK Manager worked!!!

TL;DR Install the non-Preview version of VisualStudio Mac to fix this issue.

Answers

• josemmortegajosemmortega ESUniversity ✭✭✭
    Hi @BuildCalc I'm not pretty sure that looking for here. But it's better use another emulator instead of Google emulator. In case of Mac machine, you can use Genymotion.

Regards

As of Android SDK Tools v26.0.1, Google removed support for their AVD/SDK Managers in favor of Command Line Interface tools. Here's a technical bulletin outlining a couple potential ways forward. I hope that helps!

@AshleyGazich -

Thanks for the response. Any insights are appreciated. I've read the link and it seems to be consistent with your explanation. Would this have been documented in any Xamarin release note that I might have missed?

Accepted Answer

There's a mention of it in the Visual Studio for Mac Preview release notes, and the new SDK Manager is included in the Visual Studio 2017 for Mac release notes as well. However, there's a lot to keep track of, and I'm sure you won't be the only person wondering, so thanks for bringing it up! :smile:

Accepted Answer

For the sake of others who might have stumbled upon this same problem. Xamarin Studio just (May 12, 2017) pushed a complete set of updates. After installation, it noted that Visual Studio Mac was available and asked if I wanted to run that instead. Thinking about @AshleyGazich 's May 10 note, I clicked "yes".

What I discovered is that it launched a trial of VisualStudio (Profession or Enterprise - not Community) Preview. As implied by the release notes, the Tools / SDK Manager and Tools / Google Emulator Manager did not work.

So, on a lark, I went to https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/visual-studio-mac/ and downloaded the VisualStudio for Mac installer there. When I ran it, it said I had all of the components already installed but I tried it anyway. Glad I did. When it completed installation, I launched VisualStudio and it was the Community edition (as I hoped) and it was not the Preview. So, Tools / SDK Manager worked!!!

TL;DR Install the non-Preview version of VisualStudio Mac to fix this issue.

Glad you're up and running now! Visual Studio for Mac GA was just announced at Build. Here's a corresponding post on the Visual Studio Blog. :)

• CarelLotzCarelLotz ZAMember ✭✭

I'm still unclear as to what the right solution is. I've got VS for Mac installed but when I launch the Google Emulator Manager menu option nothing happens. I'm able to start an emulator from the command line using avdmanager. Is the menu option in VS for Mac supposed to do something like launch Xamarin's own version of a Google Emulator manager? Any ideas how to troubleshoot?

@CarelLotz -

I'm not sure what you're seeing is what I was seeing and I too found nothing that would help me diagnose the issue. Ultimately, what fixed the problem was re-installing VisualStudio Mac from here which is different than other sources I had used.

• CarelLotzCarelLotz ZAMember ✭✭

I've reverted to created the AVD images using Android Studio. Once they are created I can successfully launch and debug using them using VS for Mac

• nathan187nathan187 USMember ✭✭

getting sick and tired of this poorly written tool

@AlanClark - Thanks!

• MartinLuhrmanMartinLuhrman USMember ✭✭

@AlanClark said:
    On the plus side we'll have a tool ready to go very soon!

@AlanClark Do you have an ETA for this tool?