Installed new Xamarin, and new xCode, what happened to sim v6.1 or xCode 4.6?

lpinholpinho USMember ✭✭

Hi all,

I've updated to xCode 5 and Xamarin 7.

When I start my application it starts iPhoneSimulator v7, I've searched for the old iPhoneSimulator and its no longer there.

My problem is that when I start the application (developed with deployment target = 6.1) the application looks like crap, the look is completely different, and its weird because in xCode it looks the same as it did before (except in the case I used default colors, but that is my fault).

So my question is, can I keep my "old" look and compile with deployment target = 6.1? (This deployment target is no longer there, only 7.0 or 5 and below).

Can I've simulator v6.1 and simulator v7 installed at the same time?

Thanks for the help, I'm a bit stressed...

L. Pinho

• Bob_ReckBob_Reck USMember ✭✭✭

Most likely, you need to reinstall the Xcode iOS Simulators. Open Xcode, click on the "Xcode" in the top menu bar and then pick preferences. Next, go to the download tab of the resulting dialog box and pick the simulators you want to download.

• lpinholpinho USMember ✭✭

Hi Bob,
    big thanks for that help, I'm installing the 6.1 version right now, I'll then check if the option to change the deployment target 6.1 appears.

Thanks again,

L. Pinho

No problem. Good luck.

If for some reason the iOS 7 version still launches, even after the 6.1 installs, then make sure to close everything and retry. If it still happens, then go to the iOS Simulator menu and change the device there. I've had to do this occasionally with different releases of Xamarin Studio. But it definitely needs to be installed to launch. :)

Hi Jon,

it seems to be work well, target deployment 6.1 appears again :)

My only newbie question left is, if I set the deployment target to 6.1 and run on simulator 7, should't the application look the same as in simulator 6 (since I'm compiling against an old API) or when I choose simulator v.7 it compiles with the API v7.0?

Sorry if this is a stupid question

Thanks again for the help,

L. Pinho

When you use the 7.0 simulator, some of the UI controls will look different because iOS is controlling how they are presented on the screen. Mainly the headers, tabs, etc.

Thanks Bob for your explanation

• You also could have both sdk, 6.1 and 7. Just copy the sdk from the content of XCode 4.X to the content of XCode 5. Xamarin studio will recognize both and you will be able to switch between sdks.

Do you define the sdk to be used by choosing the deployment target?

• JuanMGomezJuanMGomez ESBeta
    edited September 2013

The sdk isn't there so I guess no. I have a lot of issues deploying on ios7 if I just change the target, however when I change the sdk everything work as expected.

Ok, I'm download xCode 4.6.3 right know, if I have any problems, I'll bother you a bit ;)

Ok, I renamed xCode to xCode 4.6 and placed it in the applications alongside xCode 5.

Do you overwrite the full xCode or just some selected directories to have both sdk?

Thanks and sorry for bothering you with these questions

• Just do right click on the Xcode 4.6, choose show package contents and go to the folder Contents>Developer->Platforms->iPhoneOs.platform->Developer->sdks. You will see the ios 6 sdk there, copy and paste it in the same folder on Xcode 5 (right click, show package contents and so on).

Glad to help :-)

Thanks for the help Juan

• ShawnCastrianniShawnCastrianni USBeta ✭✭✭

You need both the simulator sdk and the device sdk to do ios6 development using xcode 5. If you use xcode 5 to download the optional ios 6 simulator, that brings with it the simulator sdk for ios6. Now you perform the trick described in this thread of copying the device sdk from xcode 4 to xcode 5. That will allow you to choose simulator 6 or simulator 7 or device 6 or device 7 while in xamarin studio.