Is anyone else seeing the "Stack walks are not supported on this platform" runtime exception?

I logged what seems to be a regression issue on bugzilla, but I haven't seen any movement on it.

https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=55087

Just want to make sure that the issue is more visible. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong :)

I just tried again using the latest everything in the Alpha channel -- still seeing it. Halp?

Best Answer

• chris_riesgochris_riesgo USUniversity ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@AshleyGazich - Quick update:

The issues seems to be in Android 7.3.x. If I take the current stable channel and only update Mono from 4.8 to 5.0, then run my sample in VS for Mac -- works just fine. If I then update just Android from 7.2 to 7.3 (while keeping Mono 5 installed), the app starts to crash.

Answers

• rseostarrseostar USUniversity ✭✭

I'm getting it as well, don't think your doing anything wrong as a brand new project does it.

Still no movement on this. Anyone out there have any insight?

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USXamarin Team Xamurai

The version information shown on Bug 55087 is Preview 6. I ran the test case attached to the report and am unable to reproduce a crash on Preview 10. If you haven't already done so, please give that a try. Should the crash also happen with the latest, attaching the logs and updated version info to the bug report would be much appreciated. Thanks!

@AshleyGazich - Thanks for replying. I just uploaded the latest details to the bug report. Preview 10 crashes for me. Please note that the crash only seems to happen on emulators (I uploaded the details for the one I tried, but I've tried several Google emulators from Android Studio), and you need to click the button on the page to generate the crash. The app won't crash on its own (I realize that probably wasn't clear).

If it still works for you, I'd be curious to know your configuration. Maybe it's something weird about mine, but simply moving back to Stable makes everything fine for me.

Accepted Answer

@AshleyGazich - Quick update:

The issues seems to be in Android 7.3.x. If I take the current stable channel and only update Mono from 4.8 to 5.0, then run my sample in VS for Mac -- works just fine. If I then update just Android from 7.2 to 7.3 (while keeping Mono 5 installed), the app starts to crash.

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USXamarin Team Xamurai

Chris, as you've probably seen, my colleague was able to reproduce the crash and added additional details to the report. I'd used an emulator with API 23 and clicked the button (the hint was fairly straightforward :smile: ), so I'm glad more information has been supplied for engineering to review. I'll leave further discussion for this particular issue to the bug report, so that everything is as consolidated as possible. Thanks again!

Thanks, @AshleyGazich!