help solve a problem and make a newbie happy

Hello all awesome Xamarin experts.

I am new to Xamarin. Everything was going great last week. But then suddenly, I started to get some errors in Xcode and could not built my Xamarin project. I have no clue why and cross my fingers, that someone will be kind enough to help me out :)

When I try to built my project in Xamarin, I get a black screen on the simulator, which is not suppose to happen. If I go to Xcode, I can see, that I have 5 issues ... I don't know what they mean and thus, I don't know how to solve them.

I have taken a screen shot of the whole mess :)

I have desperately tried to reinstall both Xamarin and Xcode, but it does not help.

Cheers,

Maria.

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

Is there any output in Xamarin.Studio when running the application? Or maybe warnings which indicates what it could be? Have you tried cleaning the project? Have you tried making a new project and copy over the files from the old to see if that helps?

• Thank you for your reply!

I have tried cleaning the project and I have tried to make a new project and copy over the files. Both did not help.

However, when I try to build the solution in Xamarin, I get two warnings:

WARNING1:

/Users/mariacecilieelgaard/Projects/test/test/testViewController.cs(24,24): Warning CS0672: Member test.testViewController.ShouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation(MonoTouch.UIKit.UIInterfaceOrientation)' overrides obsolete memberMonoTouch.UIKit.UIViewController.ShouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation(MonoTouch.UIKit.UIInterfaceOrientation)'. Add the Obsolete attribute to `test.testViewController.ShouldAutorotateToInterfaceOrientation(MonoTouch.UIKit.UIInterfaceOrientation)' (CS0672) (test)

WARNING2:

/Users/mariacecilieelgaard/Projects/test/test/Info.plist: Warning: Application icons have not been set

• I have managed to solve WARNING1.

However, I still have WARNING2. Let me know, if you know how this can be solves. Thanks.

• ivrusubocaivrusuboca HKMember
    edited September 2013

Hi Maria,

The second warning refers to the fact that you need to add some icons to your project, to make it built and run properly.

In your first posting, you were mentioning that your project worked well, at the beginning.

Could it be possible that thing failed working when once you upgraded your Xamarin or Xcode to newer versions or in Xcode you changed the Interface Builder settings to 'Auto-layout' ?

Your first Xcode warning suggests me that you have upgraded your Xcode or you have changed the settings of your projects to run on a newer version or iOS .

The 'Missing [email protected]' is a clear sign of project changes - maybe the Target platform changed - since this .png file is a 'marker' that makes your 3.5' iPhone ( 4 / 4s ) apps , work on the taller, 4' iPhones ( 5 ) .

The linker errors look to me more serious and might be happening due to changes to your environment ( upgrade of Xcode, upgrade of Xamarin , things like that ) .

Let us know how far you got - the linker ones look interesting .

Regards. Ionut.

• Hi Lonut,

Thank you for your reply. Really appreciate it.

My computer is bran new, so yesterday, I basically erased and re-installed my computer, installed Xamarin and Xcode. In case I had changed something in the settings, which I was not aware of.

Then I create a new solution going: New < C# < iOS < iPhone < single view application

I open up the .xib file and in the IB/editor area, I place a button in my view. Very simple.

I then run the solution from Xamarin. The solution is built. So, that is good. However, when I look at Xcode, it says: Build failed and I still get all of the nasty issues as seen in my screenshot above. I guess I should just be happy that I can build my solution.. ? :) But, I would really like to figure out what is up with these issues and make them magically go away :)

• oh! One more observation.

I only get the Linker issues, if I do the following:

add a new object to view in IB < save changes in Xcode < run the solution from Xamarin (while Xcode window is still open).

• ivrusubocaivrusuboca HKMember

Hi Maria,

I am a bit confused when you say 'when I look at Xcode, it says : Build failed [...]'

Based on my understanding, you should use Xcode only to :

1. open up your xib ( or storyboard )
    2. lay out your components inside your MariaViewController ( for example )
    3. create outlets and/or actions from your components into the header (MariaViewController.h) file
    4. exit Xcode ( without building anything )

When you exit Xcode, Xamarin will 'sense' that the .xib ( or .storyboard ) has been changed, and it will synchronize your changes in .xib with the Xamarin auto-generated MariaViewController.designer.cs file , so you can then use your controls in the actual MariaViewController.cs .

1. now you build your Xamarin app.

I do not think you are supposed to build anything with Xcode . At least, this is how I am doing .

Here is a Xamarin 'recipe' which guides you through the interaction with Xcode :

http://docs.xamarin.com/guides/ios/getting_started/hello,_world

Check out the interaction with Xcode IB , starting at 4. ..

Regards. Ionut.