Visual Studio does not update app in Android emulator when debugging

Hi!

I have an app which I develop in Visual Studio 2012. If I change something (e.g. adding an item to the action bar) and hit F5, the previous version of the app starts in the emulator. If I open the updated solution in Xamarin Studio and hit F5 there, the updated app immediately launches in the emulator. If I now go back to VS and hit F5 again, I see the updated app there, too.

Seems that VS is not updating the app after compile. Of course I tried Rebuild All and things like that. Nothing helped.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Rainer.

• RainerRainer ATMember

Ok, solved it myself. It turned out to be a slightly stupid question. After switching from Xamarin Studio to Visual Studio, I did not remember that I had to explicitly deploy the app before debugging in VS. Xamarin Studio seems to behave differently.

• clamumclamum USMember

I am getting this same issue using Visual Studio 2015 Community and a Xamarin.Forms project (PCL). The Android version that I'm debugging in the emulator keeps showing me the previous version of the app (I've since changed some code and XAML but the app is old). I've tried cleaning the Android and PCL projects and nothing has worked. I just tried a different AVD but of course that isn't even working; it just loads to a black screen. Ugh this is a fricking pain in the ass.

• ShantimohanElchuriShantimohanElchuri USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rainer

Ok, solved it myself. It turned out to be a slightly stupid question. After switching from Xamarin Studio to Visual Studio, I did not remember that I had to explicitly deploy the app before debugging in VS. Xamarin Studio seems to behave differently.

Your contention is not understood. What do you mean by explicitly deploy the app in VS? With default settings in VS, I just hit F5 and the app is compiled, deployed to the target and the debugger attached. So what you are experiencing is strange. Just repair and see if it is corrected.

• ericleigh007ericleigh007 USMember

If you followed the direction to get the android emulator to debug at all (from here:
    https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/deployment,_testing,_and_metrics/debug-on-emulator/visual-studio-android-emulator/#Troubleshooting), the fix to the problem seems to be ONLY the Hyper-v setting. If you also disabled the fast deploy mode, enable that again and see if you can deploy and debug using that arrangement.

This seems to be doing it for me.

• EliBlackEliBlack USMember

@ericleigh007 Reenabling fast deploy fixed the issue for me. Thank you :)

• I am having the same problem with Visual Studio 2017 15.0 and 15.1. I have tried the Fast Deploy fix and others and it does not work for me. I am getting desperate here. Please help!

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@JasonJones.0572

This thread is quite old and may not be relevant for the issue you are having. For troubleshooting a new scenario that is not resolved by the steps earlier in this thread, I would recommend creating a new forum discussion or question. Thanks!

• AshleyGazich, thanks - I was able to get some help elsewhere and you were right, my problem was not related to this thread.