Why is Xamarin Forms package not installing

louwholouwho USMember ✭✭✭

I am not a total Xamarin new guy, I have done a little Xamarin development using Visual Studio. I just got a used MacBook Pro, installed the latest of everything (OS, Xcode, Xamarin Studio, etc). So, I am new to Mac, and Xamarin Studio. Working my way through book "Mastering Xamarin UI Development" (which requires a Mac and Xamarin Studio). I created a cross-platform solution and got to a point when it says to add Map packages, and did so with no errors for the PCL and iOS projects, but failed for Android. Then I noticed that the Droid project did not even have the Xamarin Forms package, and then I remembered some kind of error when the solution was being created, that I had ignored.

I started a new test project, and as it was being created, the errors below appeared, and again there was nothing in the Droid packages folder. So, what am I
missing here, an app on the Mac, or something that needs to be added to Xamarin Studio?

Resolving dependency information took 0 ms
Resolving actions to install package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0'
Resolved actions to install package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0'
Retrieving package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4 23.3.0' from '__nid_1019'.
For adding package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' to project 'Test1.Droid' that targets 'monoandroid23'.
Install failed. Rolling back...
Package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' does not exist in project 'Test1.Droid'
Package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4.23.3.0' does not exist in folder '/Users/louis/Projects/Test1/packages'
Executing nuget actions took 79.94 ms
Could not install package 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4 23.3.0'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets 'MonoAndroid,Version=v2.3', but the package does not contain any assembly references or content files that are compatible with that framework. For more information, contact the package author.

• JimBennettJimBennett GBXamarin Team, Insider, University, Developer Group Leader ✭✭✭✭

Looks like you don't have the later Android SDKs installed, try running the SDK manager and installing Android 7.1 SDK.

• louwholouwho USMember ✭✭✭

That was the answer. Being new to Mac, I had to Install Android studio (which installs the Android SDK), and then look in Android Studio Preferences to find the location of the Android SDK (I could not find it), to input that location into Xamarin Studio.