Forum Cross Platform with Xamarin
We are excited to announce that the Xamarin Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Q&A is the home for technical questions and answers at across all products at Microsoft now including Xamarin!

We encourage you to head over to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Getting information from a Text Message

Hi, I would like to create a cross-platform application that covers getting information from a text message. Do you have any idea how to implement it or better yet a working code?

Thanks!

• JasonAwbreyJasonAwbrey USInsider, University, Developer Group Leader mod

In iOS you can't. Apple does not expose any API that would allow you to intercept an SMS message.

• Is there a way if the app wouldn't intercept the message rather just get information from a message? and what about for Android?

• CheesebaronCheesebaron DKInsider, University mod

Only Android supports what you want. If you search the Android forum there are a couple of threads about this. Basically you need to implement a BroadcastReceiver which listens to a specific Intent, from where you can grab the incoming SMS.

• Great that good news for my Android app part. But for iOS do you know a workaround on getting an information other than using SMS.

My project was to send information, specifically ECG information, from an Arduino with a GPRS/SMS module directly to a Smartphone.

It is unfortunately not possible without jail-breaking your iPhone and work around the Apple SDK. Intercepting or being notified of arrival of SMS is not a part of the Apple SDK.

• I see, iOS Apps are really quite limited in terms of accessing information.. but how about receiving an email message?

You cannot get e-mails from the built in e-mail app. However you can connect to an POP/IMAP server and fetch it from there.

• I see, so for Android I can use Text Message reception via BroadcastReceiver and then Email reception via POP/IMAP server fetching for iOS?

• wid3031wid3031 Member

@JanAlfredPatrickTorres said:
    Hi, I would like to create a cross-platform application that covers getting information from a text message. Do you have any idea how to implement it or better yet a working code?

Thanks!

Why do you need to develop a new app while many websites already offering the same for free to intercept text messages without target phone for free. You Should Try Cocospy