Xamarin.Forms App got rejected by Apple review due to "4. 2 Design: Minimum Functionality"?

WinterCloudWinterCloud GBMember ✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in Xamarin.Forms

Next Steps ** Please revise your app concept to provide a more robust user experience by including native iOS features and functionality. ** We understand that there are no hard and fast rules to define useful or entertaining, but Apple and Apple customers expect apps to provide a really great user experience. Apps should provide valuable utility or entertainment, draw people in by offering compelling capabilities or content, or enable people to do something they couldn't do before or in a way they couldn't do it before.

Anyone had this before?

My app is mainly build by Xamarin.Forms, so shared code base I could cater Android and iOS, Android release has no problem what so ever.
Apple is a humongous pain in the back side.

With this kind of rejection reason, it's really painful to see Apple don't really care about your app, only about their native feature.

Anyone can suggest any NATIVE iOS features and functionality, Xamarin.Forms can do?

This is one thing in my mind, but I've no idea how or what to do.

There was a pain caused by Apple is Apple default all app can do multi screen, this was one of the reason my app binary got rejected before, I have to specifically state, my app need full screen to avoid binary rejection.

However, is this a difficult thing to do? can Xamarin.Forms supports multi screen?

Best Answers

Answers

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@WinterCloud - From that message, I would not be looking at technical questions. I would be looking at the functionality of the app.

What does the app do?
    In Apple's words - is it "useful or entertaining"?
    What are the "features and functionality"?
    Does the functionality make use of the device's capabilities in such a way that an Apple device feels a natural place to use the app?

• WinterCloudWinterCloud GBMember ✭✭✭

@JohnHardman said:
    @WinterCloud - From that message, I would not be looking at technical questions. I would be looking at the functionality of the app.

What does the app do?
    Does the functionality make use of the device's capabilities in such a way that an Apple device feels a natural place to use the app?

The app is a book, of course book style a few buttons to change pages, and most important for the goal of the app, providing information....

That's why I don't understand how much native functions can a book do? Sad.

@JohnHardman said:

What does the app do?

A bit more about the information it provides, the main contents are the translations to different languages. Which for the users I'm aiming, will be a huge help.... but apple don't see that.

• JohnHardmanJohnHardman GBUniversity mod

@WinterCloud - I suspect Apple are asking why a user would use your app rather than iBooks (or the Kindle app). Does your app do something that iBooks does not?

@JohnHardman said:
    @WinterCloud - I suspect Apple are asking why a user would use your app rather than iBooks (or the Kindle app). Does your app do something that iBooks does not?

Of course, it's a book style, but with all the information categorised, indexed, cross reference, filter and search for certain important things, translation....

• ClintStLaurentClintStLaurent USUniversity ✭✭✭✭✭

John is being polite.
    The guy reviewing your app doesn't think your app has anything new or worthwhile to offer that customers can't already get in 20 other apps already on their market place. They don't see the need to clutter their store with your app.

Part of having a curated store is that they actually curate the store as part of the service they offer their paying customers; so their customers don't have to download 50 look-a-like apps at a buck a piece, then ask apple to refund the money because they're all the same. Apple is looking to uphold their reputation of quality and diversity in their offerings.

You may need to reply pointing out what makes your book app something that stands out apart from the other 100 book apps? Maybe update the description and screen shots to show why it is more than just another eBook reader that every 1st year student makes as a learning project.

@ClintStLaurent said:
    John is being polite.
    The guy reviewing your app doesn't think your app has anything new or worthwhile to offer that customers can't already get in 20 other apps already on their market place. They don't see the need to clutter their store with your app.

Part of having a curated store is that they actually curate the store as part of the service they offer their paying customers; so their customers don't have to download 50 look-a-like apps at a buck a piece, then ask apple to refund the money because they're all the same. Apple is looking to uphold their reputation of quality and diversity in their offerings.

You may need to reply pointing out what makes your book app something that stands out apart from the other 100 book apps? Maybe update the description and screen shots to show why it is more than just another eBook reader that every 1st year student makes as a learning project.

Great, the topic is only one in the app store, and the translations and information in the app is also unique in the app store. The information provided in the app which no others can.

Well, that's the problem about the review team, they know nothing about loads of topic, and they don't want to know anything more than the screen in front of them.

Anyway, I have stated the uniqueness in my app's description, I guess the app review team didn't bother to read or didn't care. Last time was the same, one guy rejected, resubmit, the other just passed.... such a lottery feeling.

@JohnHardman said:
    @WinterCloud - If your app has functionality that iBooks and the Kindle app do not have, is there any way you can highlight that, whether by UI changes or in the branding, the information you submit, and in your website? If you can make those features stand out in such a way that Apple believe there are potential users for whom your app being available on iOS could convince the potential users to buy an Phone/iPad, then they are more likely to accept your app into the App Store.

Thanks for the suggestion, because of the basic shared code base, I did intentionally keep the UI all in Forms and as simple as possible. I literally don't have any UI code in my Droid and iOS projects.

Maybe they like fancy UI?

Any chance you know how to make that multi screen function for iOS?

@JohnHardman said:
    @WinterCloud - I have seen something about supporting multitasking (I assume this is what you mean by multi screen) in a Xamarin.Forms app on iOS. I cannot recall where it was though - perhaps Evolve or a lightning lecture on Xamarin.University.

For Xamarin.iOS, there is this: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/ios/platform_features/introduction_to_ios9/multitasking/

If you actually mean displaying multiple pages in one Xamarin.Forms app - yes, that can be done (I do it on tablets), but it takes a fair bit of framework code.

Yes, multi tasking, thanks a lot for that link. I'll go through that.

I was wondering why my search didn't give me good results, got the wrong key words. ;)

• thesontheson USMember

I just wonder wether you can pass the review? I'm in the same trouble with Apple Review. Very disappointed. :(