Forum Visual Studio

Error adding files

I created a project originally in Visual Studio but my trial of Xamarin ran out and I bought the Indie license which doesn't allow Visual Studio support so I'm trying to use Xamarin Studio now instead. My project compiles and runs but I cannot add new files to it. Every time I choose Add -> Add Files... I get the below error:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: path2
at System.IO.Path.Combine(String path1, String path2)
at MonoDevelop.Core.FilePath.Combine(String[] paths)
at MonoDevelop.MonoDroid.MonoDroidProject.GetDefaultBuildAction(String fileName)
at MonoDevelop.Ide.ProjectOperations.AddFilesToProject(Project project, FilePath[] files, FilePath[] targetPaths, String buildAction)
at MonoDevelop.Ide.ProjectOperations.AddFilesToProject(Project project, FilePath[] files, FilePath targetDirectory, String buildAction)
at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.Pads.ProjectPad.FolderCommandHandler.AddFilesToProject()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters)
at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.DefaultCommandHandler.Run(Object target, Command cmd)
at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CustomCommandTargetAttribute.Run(Object target, Command cmd)
at MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui.Components.NodeCommandHandler.TransactedNodeHandlerAttribute.Run(Object target, Command cmd)
at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CustomCommandTargetAttribute.MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.ICommandTargetHandler.Run(Object target, Command cmd)
at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandHandlerInfo.Run(Object cmdTarget, Command cmd)
at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.<>c__DisplayClassb.b__2()
at MonoDevelop.Components.Commands.CommandManager.DispatchCommand(Object commandId, Object dataItem, Object initialTarget, CommandSource source)

I can add files by manually hacking the XML in the project file but that is a pretty big pain to do when I have a lot of files to add. Any idea how to resolve this?

• JeffreyStedfastJeffreyStedfast USXamarin Team Xamurai

Which version of Xamarin Studio is this? I'm going to file a bug - this shouldn't be happening.

• mhutchmhutch USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai
    edited September 2013

It looks like support for empty values of the <MonoDroidAssetsPrefix> property got broken, and that property got removed from your csproj somehow. I've now fixed the bug, and you can work around it by adding this to your project's main <PropertyGroup>:

<MonoDroidAssetsPrefix>Assets</MonoDroidAssetsPrefix>

• Version is 4.0.12 build 3.

I'll try that hack to the csproj file tonight and let you know if it works. Thanks!

• KristoforSteeleKristoforSteele USMember
    edited September 2013

I added <MonoDroidAssetsPrefix>Assets<MonoDroidAssetsPrefix> and it didn't resolve the issue.

When you say you fixed the bug, where do I get the fix from?

Sorry, you'll have to wait for the next Xamarin Studio update.

Did your csproj file have the MonoDroidAssetsPrefix element at all? Where did you add it?

• KristoforSteeleKristoforSteele USMember
    edited September 2013

It didn't have it before I added it.

If you want I can email you the entire csproj file (tried to post XML here but even in a code block, it removes many of the elements). I added it in the first PropertyGroup node.

Could you please open a bug and attach the project file?