"The referenced component 'Xamarin.Android.Support.xx' could not be found" reappears on reload.

JasonTomsJasonToms USMember ✭✭

I updated to VS 2017 yesterday morning and ever since then I have had a weird error that I cannot get rid of.

I can remove and readd all of the support libraries, and the problem looks like it goes away, despite no files changing. But when I reload the solution, all of the warnings come back. It is every support library, and no other packages have a problem.

I have tried running "Update-Package -reinstall" from the Package Manager Console but it provides the same results as doing it manually.

I am using support library versions 25.1.1 with the latest JDK (pointing to the 64bit folder) and the latest SDK. I am on the latest stable release of Xamarin (the one that came with VS 2017). I have tried opening my solutions in VS 2015 but I experience the same thing now. So I am not completely sure that VS was the problem.

The strangest thing is that these warnings are lies. My projects still build and deploy, and everything works fine. MOST of the libraries are picked up by intellisense as well so the code looks ok. There are some libraries that intellisense doesn't work for, but these change every time I restart VS. But the apps build and deploy every time.

Does anyone have any ideas what it might be?

Best Answer

Answers

• WernerFourieWernerFourie USMember

I am experiencing the exact same scenario: have been for the past 2 weeks now. My problem is frustratingly aggravated by Visual Studio freezing - I end up having to kill the devenv.exe process in task manager.

• SergeyPolezhaevSergeyPolezhaev RUMember ✭✭

Same problem: Update-Package -reinstall helps before first relaunch VS. Maybe we should write on bugzilla?

• @SergeyPolezhaev said:
    Same problem: Update-Package -reinstall helps before first relaunch VS. Maybe we should write on bugzilla?

Sadly, this did not work for me.

You have any luck @JasonToms ? I'm at a loss on what to do.

• SergeyPolezhaevSergeyPolezhaev RUMember ✭✭
    > @ChristopherLewis.9775 said:
    > @SergeyPolezhaev said:
    > Same problem: Update-Package -reinstall helps before first relaunch VS. Maybe we should write on bugzilla?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Sadly, this did not work for me.
    >
    > You have any luck @JasonToms ? I'm at a loss on what to do.

I found out that if you use Xamarin Forms you should never update Xamarin.android.support packages manually. The latest Xamarin.Forms version depends on Android.Support v23.. If you downgrade packages you will get rid of the problem
  • PhilJensonPhilJenson USMember

I have the same problem. I need to upgrade to v25.1.1 for Xamarin.GooglePlayServices.Gcm (42.10001.0) to give me remote notifications, but one of its dependencies requires Xmarin.Andriod.Support >=25.1.0. I cannot use a lower version of GCM as this give me a version conflict with other packages I use.

Xamarin.Forms says it is compatible with Xamarin.Android.Support >= 23.3.0 so should this not work with 25.1.1, and if it cannot then whats the point in version 25.1.1?

If I remove the statements from the bottom of the project file, the reference errors disappear but then I get the errors in the picture below. "No resource found that matches the given name attr..." and I cannot find a resolution to this. Tried all the suggestions I can find but nothing helps. I do not know if this problem is caused by removing the statements.

My only solution seems to be to give up on implementing remote notifications and wait for another update to see if this helps.

• JasonTomsJasonToms USMember ✭✭

@ChristopherLewis.9775 No, no luck in fixing it. And I am not using Xamarin.Forms. I don't know what else to try either. I uninstalled Xamarin and reinstalled it, uninstalled VS and reinstalled it, tried starting a new project...these support libraries just always have these warnings. With the last couple of support library releases (stable versions) breaking shared element transitions (still broken, btw) and now this, Xamarin is getting a little annoying.

• MarkoLazicMarkoLazic USMember ✭✭

I had the same problem. I installed latest Xamarin.Firebase.Messaging (42.1001.0), which updated Xamarin.GooglePlayServices to 42.1001.0 and Support libraries to 25.1.0. Everything worked fine until I reopened VS. It started freezing all the time and I could see problems with the references. Nuget packages reinstall helps only until the next VS reopen.

Solution for me was to use previous stable version of Xamarin.Firebase.Messaging (32.961.0). It references Xamarin.GooglePlayServices 32.961.0 and Support libraries 24.2.1. Now VS works as expected.

• DionJakobsDionJakobs NLMember
    edited March 2017

I'm facing the same problem after updating my packages.
    I'm still looking for a solution to solve this problem since nothing seems to work.

And I'm having an error saying that my sider.dll is missing, not sure if this is a part of the problem, can anyone confirm?

• FlorianDayanFlorianDayan USMember ✭✭

@AshleyGazich Thank you so much ! I had the same problem with Android Support and Google Play Services too, updating Xamarin.Build.Download (0.4.3) made the warnings disappear and I was able to build/execute Android project successfully

• RichardAmissRichardAmiss USMember ✭✭
    edited August 2017

Wow really? I'm having the same issue with VS 2017 and the official answer is to manually update components to a pre-release? How is this possibly good advice for Production level applications??? This is why Xamarin gets such a bad rap and IMO seems like such a hacked together system. You would think that two products by the same company should just work together, especially with a NEW version!

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@RichardAmiss This thread is several months old and a stable package was published a couple days after my 24 March comment, so you may be hitting a different issue. There have also been additional stable updates to that package, which can be found here. If you are experiencing unexpected behavior, a new thread with a complete minimized test case demonstrating the issue and full version info from Help > About Microsoft Visual Studio > Copy Info [button] is a great starting point.

The "What support options are available for Xamarin?" doc provides additional options if you'd prefer another route of assistance.

• RichardAmissRichardAmiss USMember ✭✭

@AshleyGazich said:
    @RichardAmiss This thread is several months old and a stable package was published a couple days after my 24 March comment, so you may be hitting a different issue. There have also been additional stable updates to that package, which can be found here. If you are experiencing unexpected behavior, a new thread with a complete minimized test case demonstrating the issue and full version info from Help > About Microsoft Visual Studio > Copy Info [button] is a great starting point.

The "What support options are available for Xamarin?" doc provides additional options if you'd prefer another route of assistance.

Thanks. I'm hitting the same issue when installing VS2017+Xamarin and loading a project from VS2015+Xamarin. I ended up going back to VS2015. Next time I'll try the new build downloads, but it shouldn't be this hard that I have to search the error to find the build and install it. Moving from one to the other should either work or repair itself.

I appreciate the help!