September 11: Birmingham User Group: Birmingham, Alabama

TommyBaggettTommyBaggett USUniversity ✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Events & Community

A new Xamarin Users Group is being formed in Birmingham, Alabama. Here's your chance to learn more about Xamarin, get questions answered by other Xamarin users and representatives, plus meet other cool people that are just as excited about this stuff as you are. Plus, did I mention free schwag?!?

We're making plans for our first meeting in September, 2013. Details are available at http://www.meetup.com/Birmingham-Xamarin-Users-Group/. Please sign up and comment on your preference for time of month and part of town to hold the meetings in. We'll confirm the date and location of the September meeting by August 23rd.

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

I'm happy to say I'll be in attendance for all the meetings as well :)

• JosephCaudillJosephCaudill USMember

Awesome news! I will be attending as well - as often as possible.

• BradleyBradley USMember ✭✭✭

Pencil me in.

• PierceBogganPierceBoggan USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team, Developer Group Leader Xamurai

Great to hear! As the Meetup.com website says, we are currently trying to nail down a location + time that works for everyone. If you could let us know where you are located so we can pick a location that works best. Additionally, we are trying to figure a first-meeting date, as well as a pattern for our meetings (ex: first Monday of every month).

Look forward to meeting you guys there!

• TommyBaggettTommyBaggett USUniversity ✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

For anyone interested in joining the group and/or attending our first meeting in September, we'd love to hear your preferred times and locations. I will post some suggestions on the Meetup site later today or this week.

edited August 2013

FYI all, we've changed the name of our Meetup group to "Birmingham Mobile C# Developers". We hope this will make it easier for people interested in mobile development to find our group. The new address is http://www.meetup.com/Birmingham-Mobile-CSharp-Developers/.

Please join our Meetup group if you haven't already done so. Thanks!

Our first meeting now has a time and place! Please join us in Room 2 at New Horizons Computer Learning in Homewood on Wednesday, September 11th from 6 to 8 PM. New Horizons is located at 601 Beacon Pkwy W # 106. Please RSVP at http://www.meetup.com/Birmingham-Mobile-CSharp-Developers/events/131090722/ if you can join us.

Our first meeting will be a bit free form as we get to know one another, discuss mobile app-related things we're interested in learning about in future meetings, and other possible meeting times and locations if needed.

In subsequent meetings, we plan to start with an "Introduction to Xamarin" presentation from 6 to 6:30, an oppportunity for networking with snacks provided from 6:30 to 7, our "feature presentation" from 7 to 7:30ish, and wrapping up the night with Q&A.

Come join the fun! I look forward to meeting everyone.

For everyone planning to attend our first meeting this coming Wednesday, this message was sent to the Meetup members. If you're interested in attending our meeting and haven't RSVP'd for it yet, please sign up on our Meetup page!

I have been very excited (and yes, a little relieved) to learn that there are already multiple companies in our city using Xamarin to produce cross-platform native mobile apps.

We're fortunate to have a Xamarin representative living here in Birmingham. Chances are you've seen Pierce Boggan posting in the Xamarin discussion forums (http://forums.xamarin.com/) or heard him co-hosting the unofficial Xamarin podcast (). Pierce just celebrated his one year anniversary as an intern with Xamarin. He will present our "Introduction to Xamarin" opener from 6 to 6:30 PM.

Next, we'll have bread and water to snack on from 6:30 to 7. Haha, just kidding! Although I guess pizza and soft drinks could be considered that.

Beginning at 7, we'll give everyone a chance to say as much or little about yourself as you like and how you're using Xamarin. Then I will present on "Memory Management and Garbage Collection with Xamarin". I won't go too deep into the subject this time around, but instead highlight concepts that will be valuable to anyone getting started with Xamarin. Its an important topic that doesn't get as much love in the Xamarin samples and documentation as it deserves, although I understand they are working on fixing that. I will go deeper into the subject in future meetings if your interest warrants it.

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday. Be prepared to enjoy getting to know new people and new things!