AzureToDo.Mac sample app building with errors for iMobileServiceTable , MobileServiceClient

Downloaded the AzureToDo.Mac sample to learn how to get a MAC app working with Azure. (I have completed a Xamarin.Forms PCL app and have all device types successfully accessing Azure.) I have then tried to learn how to get the same app working for MAC.

I get the errors "The type or namespace 'iMobileServiceTable' could not be found.... and The type or namespace 'MobileServiceClient' could not be found" in the TodoItemManager class.

I have updated all microsoft packages such as BCL, and BCL.Build and Azure.Mobile.Client and Newtonsoft.Json. but no success. I notice that under References only Newtonsoft (FromPackages) and Microsoft CSharp, System, System.Core, System.Net.Http and Xamarin.Mac are the only items. But under Packages I have Microsoft.Azure.Mobile.Client, the packages for the items under References and heaps of other System packages.

When you right click and select Edit References, none of the Microsoft.Azure.Mobile.Client methods are exposed for selecting.

Can you let me know what I need to do to get the sample app working? Calling Craig Dunn if you are out there because you appear to authored the sample app.

Best Answer

Answers

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

I've poked @CraigDunn to make sure he's seen this post. He'll likely swing by later with an update.

• BrianWestruppBrianWestrupp AUMember ✭✭

@ChrisHamons . Thanks - I forgot to praise you guys for Xamarin. I am an amateur coder having started with VB, Pascal and even dabbled in Assembly all while trying to break the software where I worked for twenty years as a software tester. So I do understand what goes into an application that is as easy as possible for the user to utilise, however also being human I do get frustrated at times.

I await a great response from Craig, although I feel that he is going to say that the current version of Azure.mobile.client SDK does not support Mac unlike its deprecated predecessor Windows.Azure.Client.

• BrianWestruppBrianWestrupp AUMember ✭✭

@CraigDunn Craig you are a gem. Downloaded the updated AzureTodo.Mac app from GitHub. Built then run and perfect job. With my old version that I was using as a template for my actual app - I followed your advice and manually selected the two windows azure mobile extension from the net45 library and had to do the same for net.http.primitives. Built the app which was url'd to my backend azure testDB and it worked like a charm when run.

One big thankyou to you and all at Xamarin. I can now progress with getting my actual Mac app running against the same azure db as my Xamarin.Forms PCL running on all 5 devices - ios, android, Windows 10, 8.1 and winphone 10 and 8.1. I have done this as a prove of concept for my son who is IT manager at a local company and he his trying to convert them to Windows front and backend and to use Xamarin with VS15 for development. (I am retired and an amateur coder having fun every day of the week).

Once again thanks.

Brian W

• FrederikTheisenFrederikTheisen DKMember ✭✭
    edited March 2017

Hi there

I'm looking in to using IMobileServiceClient (and tables) for my Xamarin.Mac app. I've used them for the windows version of my app, but even with all the help you have provided, I can't seem to figure out how to get it working.

I've downloaded the GitHub app and referenced the included assemblies in my own project. However it throws an error when compiling (as did the GitHub project).
    The first error I get is something about missing Threading.Tasks<List<>> assemblies.
    I can fix the Threading.Tasks<> part of the error by (more or less) randomly referencing assemblies I find on my computer.
    However, attempting the same for the List<> parts results in another compiler error where all Collections.Generic.List types throws a compiler error about the same assembly being referenced multiple times.

What is the best solution to this?

Since this is related to the discussion, I thought it was ok to revive the topic.

Thank you.
    Regards
    Frederik

• FrederikTheisenFrederikTheisen DKMember ✭✭

Here is a screenshot of the line that causes the error and the error message.

Could it be that List<>'1 is different from List<>?

• ChrisHamonsChrisHamons USForum Administrator, Xamarin Team Xamurai

You may want to create another thread @FrederikTheisen and post your full blog long (pasted to a pastebin/gist like service)