Visual Studio 2015, Xamarin and Windows 7?

MikeNowakMikeNowak USMember
edited September 2015 in General

Hello,
I'd like to use VS2015 and Xamarin platform to create cross-platform apps, but with this new W10 I'm a little lost.
I'm working on MacOSX, but I have VMWare and VM with Windows 7.

I've got few questions:
1a. Can I use 100% of Xamarin and VS2015 in Windows7 SP1? (I'm guessing "100%" can be used only in Windows 10, but I'm not sure tho)
1b. If not, what are the limitations in Windows 7?

2a. Can I use 100% of Xamarin with Xamarin Studio in MacOSX or Windows7 virtual machine?
2b. If not, what are the limitations in MacOSX/Windows7?

I'm asking cause I'd like to create cross platform app: for Windows, OSX, iOS, Mobile Windows and Android, I have Windows 7 and I'm not sure if I must upgrade to Windows 10. Obviously I'd like to use VS2015 instead of VS2010 (I have currently on my Windows 7)

Thanks for help!

Best Answers

Answers

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

You wont have the vs 2015 hyper-v android emulators if you are running it on windows 7. You would need to use the google emulators or the xamarin android player.

• ValerioFerreiraValerioFerreira BRUniversity, Developer Group Leader ✭✭

Hello @MikeNowak

Ok let's see your questions.

1a. There is no problem in using Windows 7 to develop Xamarin Apps. Windows 10 is required to run/emulate Windows 10/UWP aps.
    1b. No limitations in MacOS/Windows that i am aware of

2a. Yes you can. Even Visual Studio works in VM. I use Parallels on Mac.

I believe it is better use Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2015. Although you need Business subscription of Xamarin, to use Visual Studio.

• MikeNowakMikeNowak USMember

@ken_tucker, @Sylix Hmm.. I'm not sure you understood me correct. I will ask like that:
    I need to create an app, that will be targeting Windows, OSX, iOS, Mobile Windows and Android. I'm planing to use Portable Class Library for my shared code. I ofc will use Xamarin (needs to be business, cause I'd like to use latest VS2015) and VS2015 Community - to be exact. That's basically it. The only thing I didn't mention is OS I will be working on.

So, having said that - can I still use Windows 7? Or should I switch to Windows 10 to use 100% potential? What will I miss when using Windows 7?

You've already answered UWP apps - I'm not sure I will need it. Anything else? What're the differences for that particular configuration between those two OSs?

• MikeNowakMikeNowak USMember

Thanks guys,
    I've installed W10 and VS2015 + Xamarin (built in VS during installation, I guess it's BUSINESS) - now my VM takes more then 70GB, but at least I'm "all-in" now:)

• MarcioOrdonezMarcioOrdonez USMember ✭✭

@ValerioFerreira o Xamarin Studio morreu para Windows? Só através do Visual Studio agora? Obrigado.

• DaveHuntDaveHunt USMember ✭✭✭✭✭

You can only develop Android apps in Xamarin Studio on Windows, so for anything else, you have to use Visual Studio. If you absolutely must use Xamarin Studio, it is still available.

• ManjunathaNManjunathaN USMember

Hello Everyone,

Similar problem i am also facing. I have installed VS2017, on windows 7 professional. I am beginner to xamarin, i have created my first Hello Android application, and configured new Nexus 5 custom emulator using Android Virtual Device(AVD) manager by cloning Nexus 5. Everything worked fine and emulator started but my application is not getting deployed. searched a lot and tried below link,

[https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/64088/android-emulator-opens-but-project-does-not-deploy-and-start]

There is no such path(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Android) in my system as suggested in the above link.

So thought it might by an OS issue please let me know if its a OS issue ? if not what is the solution for the above issue ? so that i can deploy App on emulator successfully.

• kentuckerkentucker USMember ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Is there anything in the output window that shows what is happening? Do you have fast deploy unchecked?

• AshleyGazichAshleyGazich USMember, Xamarin Team Xamurai

@ManjunathaN
    This thread is quite old and may not be relevant for the issue you are having. For troubleshooting a new scenario that is not resolved by the steps earlier in this thread, I would recommend creating a new forum discussion or question. Thanks!